Jack White Tri-Color

otto802

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, nobody was waiting at Reckless at 6am for this. Apparently the first people to show up was 8:20 when another person who was waiting since 7 got out of their car and joined them. Another person who showed up at 9am was the last person to receive a copy. Im not gonna get mad at Reckless for this. Prob because I love their stores and they usually deliver the goods on RSD (BTW, how did u not get any copies of Ryan Adams - Class Mythology last RSD? Haha) Its really nothing new for store clerks to get first crack at releases. Personally I think they probably deserve some extra benefits because Im guessing record store clerks probably dont get paid that great. Also, Im probably biased because Ive never been crazy about the whole limited TMR thing anyways (minus the Jeff The Brotherhood - Live at TMR release, which rules!).

FYI, nobody was waiting at Reckless at 6am for this. Apparently the first people to show up was 8:20 when another person who was waiting since 7 got out of their car and joined them. Another person who showed up at 9am was the last person to receive a copy. Im not gonna get mad at Reckless for this. Prob because I love their stores and they usually deliver the goods on RSD (BTW, how did u not get any copies of Ryan Adams - Class Mythology last RSD? Haha) Its really nothing new for store clerks to get first crack at releases. Personally I think they probably deserve some extra benefits because Im guessing record store clerks probably dont get paid that great. Also, Im probably biased because Ive never been crazy about the whole limited TMR thing anyways (minus the Jeff The Brotherhood - Live at TMR release, which rules!).

I think its pretty clear why they didn't have any copies of DRA Class Mythology for sale on RSD.

I think its pretty clear why they didn't have any copies of DRA Class Mythology for sale on RSD.

Haha. Class Mythology wasnt too expensive on ebay directly afterwards though. I was able to hunt down an opened copy from a fan who didnt really enjoy the songs. Then about a month later DRA threw some leftover copies on his website and I was able to snag a sealed copy.

actually, i misquoted myself. i did actually get there at 6am today, not 7 .i waited in my car for over two hours. sucks i coulda just showed up at 8 and been fine, but oh well. just glad i got one.

all of the Reckless hate in this thread is amazing to me. I spoke with an employee tonight when I saw him at a Walgreens and even he mentioned that there were only 6 in stock. The stores are crazy efficient with online stock, sell tons of used records for WAY below what you'd find them on Discogs or eBay for and are generally able to fill special orders for both used and new records. They're top notch. Geez.

actually, i misquoted myself. i did actually get there at 6am today, not 7 .i waited in my car for over two hours. sucks i coulda just showed up at 8 and been fine, but oh well. just glad i got one.

Dont worry, ive done that kind of thing plenty of times. If i really want something Ive got no problems waiting extra to guarantee i get it.

all of the Reckless hate in this thread is amazing to me. I spoke with an employee tonight when I saw him at a Walgreens and even he mentioned that there were only 6 in stock. The stores are crazy efficient with online stock, sell tons of used records for WAY below what you'd find them on Discogs or eBay for and are generally able to fill special orders for both used and new records. They're top notch. Geez.

I will say this, they dont pull their stock on an online order in nearly a timely enough fashion. Almost missed out on some of my online orders for Black Friday RSD but I wised up and called them instead to set aside those copies while I ran down to the store. Had I waited for them to pull my copies aside for online shipment, They would have been already soldout.

Ultimately it was my fault though as I really had no reason to just not head down to the store and pick them up in the first place anyways the old-fashioned way!

That davehoffa guy who apparently handled the ordering and processing of this said they indeed got 10 so I smell some form of bullshit. I'm sure it was just some staff member or something and things like this are bound to happen so it is what it is.

I just don't understand what the point is in all of this?

If you got one, you got one. If you didn't, you didn't. It's after-the-fact. Nothing will change.

I wanted a tri-color, but I don't live near any of the record stores that got them. Which thread do I go in to bitch about that?

This is starting to look like another TOYPAJ thread with all the crying.

i am the head buyer at reckless. dave is also a buyer at reckless. dave was not there yesterday or the day before that so he really doesn't know much about how this went down. we got 10 copies of this record. i received them myself. 4 employees bought them including one that bought one for a friend for a birthday gift so that means that 3 employees bought one technically. all of the above statements are facts.

reckless collectively has about 40 employees. there are times when we restrict employees from buying limited items, this time i made a decision as the head buyer not to. we have a strict 'no selling on ebay' policy with our employees. it is simply not tolerated. we also have a good number of legit white stripes/jack white fans who really wanted to buy these singles and chose not to so customers could get them. why shouldn't a few employees who are legit fans get a chance to get one? i should also note, the employees that bought these paid FULL PRICE, no discount.

the manager was at the store on tuesday morning and chose to let the people in line EARLY so they didn't have to wait in the cold and could go home. the sold the 6 copies that we had left to THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT SHOWED UP to buy this before 11am and then locked the door until 10am when we would normally open. yes, we got a bunch of calls for this later in the day and yes they were gone by then. those people chose not to come to the store and get in line, maybe if they had they might have got one. who knows. they obviously didn't think it was worth doing or couldn't for some reason.

regarding the ryan adams 'class mythology' single. we received and sold 20 copies between our three locations of that on record store day for $14.99, a 100% normal mark-up based on the cost that we paid. not one employee bought one of these i should add. one of the stores received their order on record store day and the records didn't go out right at 10am. as soon as we received them we put them out. if anybody missed them at the store in the morning it's because we didn't have them yet or they got their too late. easy come, easy go.

i personally have no issue about how any of this was handled by our employees, including myself as I made the executive decision as how to handle this. if you really have an issue after reading this, feel free to call the store and ask for me. our number is clearly posted on our website.

I think the biggest issue was how third man implied each of the 5 stores that were getting copies got 30 each and that wasn't the case.

I'm thankful reckless got copies at all and I'm glad there werent people who waited in line all morning to not get any. I'm also thankful they let us in early once there were as many people as records.

OK, I checked this thread again. What Jencik said.

Dreamover - Third Man never implied anything. That's all in the head of record collectors. They said there was 300 tri-colors. They said 100 were for the TM store. They said 50 were for random mailorders. They said that five stores were getting copies. No one ever said that each store was getting 30 copies. People just assumed all the rest were going to stores.

Dreamover - Third Man never implied anything. That's all in the head of record collectors. They said there was 300 tri-colors. They said 100 were for the TM store. They said 50 were for random mailorders. They said that five stores were getting copies. No one ever said that each store was getting 30 copies. People just assumed all the rest were going to stores.

in the vault and somewhere else they posted 50 random mail order, 100 third man and 150 various independent record stores. Then later, they announced the 5 stores.

FYI, I wasn't implying that your store clerks pre-bought up all of those Ryan Adams records. I was actually commenting that I was just in shock that you guys didn't have any at the store on RSD. You guys seem to be better than the rest in the Chicagoland area about getting the widest variety of records on RSD.

I must also comment that Reckless got their copies of the white vinyl Pink Floyd - 66/67 later than the day of RSD. Instead of selling them off at a markup similar to the going rate on ebay, they decided to hold onto them all for RSD Black Friday. Class move, IMO. I personally love their stores and there is no way that this particular situation is going to prevent me from making Reckless my preferred destination of record store in Chicago.

in the vault and somewhere else they posted 50 random mail order, 100 third man and 150 various independent record stores. Then later, they announced the 5 stores.

Right. Nowhere in there does it imply that the remainders will be divided evenly among the five stores. That was just people jumping to conclusions. Worded poorly? I could see that.

FYI, I wasn't implying that your store clerks pre-bought up all of those Ryan Adams records. I was actually commenting that I was just in shock that you guys didn't have any at the store on RSD. You guys seem to be better than the rest in the Chicagoland area about getting the widest variety of records on RSD.

I must also comment that Reckless got their copies of the white vinyl Pink Floyd - 66/67 later than the day of RSD. Instead of selling them off at a markup similar to the going rate on ebay, they decided to hold onto them all for RSD Black Friday. Class move, IMO. I personally love their stores and there is no way that this particular situation is going to prevent me from making Reckless my preferred destination of record store in Chicago.

That Pink Floyd 66/67 was also released months before RSD, and we had it in stock then, too. We all thought that release was a weird RSD release as we'd already had it in stock.

That Pink Floyd 66/67 was also released months before RSD, and we had it in stock then, too. We all thought that release was a weird RSD release as we'd already had it in stock.

Was the pre-RSD release on white vinyl? Never seen it listed as anything but as an RSD release as far as vinyl format is concerned. I've had the DVD for years. Either way, I was bummed I missed it on the initial RSD but really happy when you had it available for Black Friday RSD.

For all of you guys whose vaginas are all sandy because god forbid a couple of record store employees "cheated you" out of a couple of copies of a record, just sit tight for a few years when the bottom drops out of these manufactured collectibles and you can buy them in bulk for less than a cup of coffee, just like what happened with the comic book "gold cover, etc" variations of the 1990s and the "rare chase cards" in sport cards and magic cards.

Reckless is a damn good store who doesn't hoard things to make extra money on ebay and they have a great selection of music. Their prices are often pretty damn fair too. Chicago is lucky to still have record stores as good as they are. I can't tell you how many great things I've picked up over the years, things they could have easily never put on the floor and listed on ebay instead like a TON of other stores around the world do.

If TMR really wanted to curb the flipping, "hoarding" and general craziness behind these things, they would have all their records come sealed and not labeled as being on color, then randomly dispersed with the black ones in the boxes sent to distributors and stores. That way everyone has a pretty equal shot and getting one and there won't be any dudes crying because someone at the store got one, or some record scalper hired a bunch of homeless dudes to wait in line overnight for him so he can scalp the records on ebay.

I like neat variations of records as much as the next guy and have ever since I was in grade school in the 70s, but the whole TMR thing and how they handle their forced collectibles is just ridiculous. I am so glad that I don't give a shit about Jack White, or any of the half million bands he plays in and releases every fart he ever captured on tape pressed into a sno-cone colored record you can only buy when the moon is full if you happen to be on the right street corner in some shithole part of town for the 3 minutes some guy will be selling the shit out of his trunk. No record is worth that much hassle and there's far better records to lose sleep over not owning.

I like neat variations of records as much as the next guy and have ever since I was in grade school in the 70s, but the whole TMR thing and how they handle their forced collectibles is just ridiculous. I am so glad that I don't give a shit about Jack White, or any of the half million bands he plays in and releases every fart he ever captured on tape pressed into a sno-cone colored record you can only buy when the moon is full if you happen to be on the right street corner in some shithole part of town for the 3 minutes some guy will be selling the shit out of his trunk. No record is worth that much hassle and there's far better records to lose sleep over not owning.

This has got to be one of the finest paragraphs ever typed onto this board.

Oh and my single comment earlier was not me bitching or moaning if anyone took it that way. I was just going off the facts already provided. I don't listen to a single Jack White related thing but I must read the threads because it may provide some fine comedic value.

All this double decker, triple decker and tri color shit is just Jack White taking an upper decker in his fans toilets.