The Wire...worth it?

So I'm trying to fill the void left by other shows. Just finished Big Love, seen all of Sopranos, Six feet Under, Lost...Up to date on Sons Of Anarchy, Mad Men, need to catch up on Dexter and Breaking Bad.

Sooo...I noticed that The Wire has made many top lists over the years and I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I'm 3 episodes in and so far it's okay..but not GREAT. I remind myself that it took about 7 or 8 episodes of Dexter before I was completely hooked. Does The Wire get insanely better and should I stick with it?

Chalky White!!! Also I was in the same boat and just finished the first season and I loved it can not wait to see how the other seasons are.

Season 2 is probably my lest favorite based on the characters, but it is still pretty good. If you made it through the first, you'll still enjoy it.

The wire was television at its finest. I noticed you said you need to catch up on dexter... I wouldn't bother haha. Seasons 5 & 6 were sub par at best.

I'm just behind on the current season. 5 was OK, kept my attention pretty much all the way through.

Based on what everyone's saying, The Wire gets better and better so I'm gonna stick with it. I'm excited to see how good it gets!

Zacaroo: Not to be nit-picky, but it's "fuck" that they say for 5 minutes straight. But agreed, that's an incredible scene.

Totally worth it, great show. Only downside is that I'm originally from Baltimore, and whenever I introduce myself as being from there, that's the first thing that anyone brings up. Not a huge problem though, as it's such a good show.

The Wire is by far the best series I've followed. If you watch it and like it I suggest you look up Homicide: Life on The Street as well. It's the series David Simon did before The Wire and it's fantastic. He's a genius. Treme should be awesome as well, but I haven't started watching it yet. Anyone seen Generation Kill, what's it like?

Here are some funny The Wire notes, don't know if it's true but here it goes (got it off of IMDB):

"Many of the minor characters are played by real-life police officers, politicians and former criminals. In fact, many of the former criminals who act on the show were previously arrested by the real-life cops who act on the show."

also...

"In an unusual move for a police series the officers almost never fire their guns. Only one police officer, Prez, ever fires his gun on the show and in all three cases it is a mistake. The first time he accidentally shoots the squad room wall. The second time he drunkenly fires a shot into the air and then (compounding his gun mistakes) uses it to pistol whip a teenager, blinding him in one eye. The third time he mistakenly shoots an undercover cop."

Treme isn't The Wire, but I've also had people recommend Homicide too.

I've lived in New Orleans for nearly seven years, which includes some pre-Katrina. Treme uses the city as a character, not as the background. I think it hinders the show because you're lost in all the namedropping when it doesn't matter to the plot. I like Treme but it isn't great.