next time you want to release that 12+ minute 7"

The Story So Far - While You Were Sleeping

$7 1 sided 12" with screenprinted covers

www.animalstyle.limitedpressing.com/products/13462

How can they afford to pull that off? Seems like if they sold all of them they'd break even

I did it and it wasn't really that hard to pull off. Not all records have to be $15-20.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they afford to pull that off? Seems like if they sold all of them they'd break even

I did it and it wasn't really that hard to pull off. Not all records have to be $15-20.

no shit. i bought my look back and laugh 1 sides 12" ep for $8 and it was all etched on the other side. super cool cover and obi strip to boot.

But there isn't much difference at all. Two dollars at most, unless it's a screen printed/etched bside with matte die cut and spot glossed finish.

If anyone can show me an example of a plain one sided 12" that is $10 I'll shut up.

Such Gold Pedastals

Everyone I've come across cost as much as a 12", that's just the first one sided 12" I can think of

Including 2x LPs with that etched side, ie Blink 182 or Defeater, cost the regular $18-25 that 2x LPs cost

I've never seen a one sided 12" or 7" cost less because it was one sided, hell sometimes more if they have an etched side, ie Wharf Rats

You need to stop buying records from MTS. And stop using their pricing as a business model.

But if this SRC link is correct, that such gold record is for sale at 9.99 and it HAS an etched b side, so all you've done is prove my point.

Fucking kids these days

For 12 minutes, put it on the 12". If I were to press a 7" again, I would keep it under 5 minutes per side (preferably under 4 so I can keep it at 45rpm). If you are smart you can find a way to save money on packaging... *cough* DIY *cough*

Edit: How about adopting a one inch per minute philosophy?

an etched side would significantly increase the price of pressing because of the additional plating involved. a truly blank side should cost significantly less because plants usually have blank stampers on hand.

a bit of advice on one sided 12"s though... PUT LABELS ON BOTH SIDES. if the one-sided 12" has any problems, they involve the record warping in the shape of a frisbee. labels on both sides help that significantly.

Such Gold Pedastals

Everyone I've come across cost as much as a 12", that's just the first one sided 12" I can think of

Including 2x LPs with that etched side, ie Blink 182 or Defeater, cost the regular $18-25 that 2x LPs cost

I've never seen a one sided 12" or 7" cost less because it was one sided, hell sometimes more if they have an etched side, ie Wharf Rats

You need to stop buying records from MTS. And stop using their pricing as a business model.

But if this SRC link is correct, that such gold record is for sale at 9.99 and it HAS an etched b side, so all you've done is prove my point.

Fucking kids these days

I have it right here, the reverse side is entirely blank.

I've just been looking at plants and I'll agree if there's demand you can sell single sided 12"s for under $10

I do have to say in the few 1 sided or 1 and a half sided 2X LPs I've seen have never been any cheaper than a normal record though

Fucking kids these days

I've just been looking at plants and I'll agree if there's demand you can sell single sided 12"s for under $10

I do have to say in the few 1 sided or 3 sided 2X LPs I've seen have never been any cheaper than a normal record though

Fucking kids these days

I do have to say in the few 1 sided or 1 and a half sided 2X LPs I've seen have never been any cheaper than a normal record though

Temporary Residence has several 2LPs with etched D-sides for $15 each.

just saw this. 100% 1-sided 12" over 7". i have done 2 so far (one with an etching, one with silk screening) and it was way better in my option then doing a 7"!

also, i'm in the for mentioned Best Practices and am really excited to do a 1-sided 12". such an awesome format!!

also personally (just in general) i hate 7"s. worst format. i don't want to have to stand over my turntable and flip the record every 4-6min. it sucks. do i still have some that have sentimental value, sure. but i have sold most of my 7"s. i would much rather spin a 1-sided LP. 100% superior format.

just saw this. 100% 1-sided 12" over 7". i have done 2 so far (one with an etching, one with silk screening) and it was way better in my option then doing a 7"!

also, i'm in the for mentioned Best Practices and am really excited to do a 1-sided 12". such an awesome format!!

also personally (just in general) i hate 7"s. worst format. i don't want to have to stand over my turntable and flip the record every 4-6min. it sucks. do i still have some that have sentimental value, sure. but i have sold most of my 7"s. i would much rather spin a 1-sided LP. 100% superior format.

Paul - I'm really glad we're on the same page with this. At this point, it would be super awkward if we weren't.

Paul - I'm really glad we're on the same page with this. At this point, it would be super awkward if we weren't.

hahaha dude, totally. i was actually talking to my mom last night and told her about it. she said it "sounded like a waste of vinyl" and i explained to her that i would rather listen to 12min straight then need to flip the record every 6min. such a great format. and you can save some $$$ and pass the savings on to the kids!

^ Chuck take advantage of that Tigers Jaw craze. Put Spirit Desire on a one sided 12" at 45 RPM deluxe edition. Meet At The Corner should be on vinylz! ;)

jaykay

If I had known back then what I know now, I probably would have done exactly that! Maybe for our five year anniversary ... whenever the hell that is.

hahaha dude, totally. i was actually talking to my mom last night and told her about it. she said it "sounded like a waste of vinyl" and i explained to her that i would rather listen to 12min straight then need to flip the record every 6min. such a great format. and you can save some $$$ and pass the savings on to the kids!

Whenever my mom starts giving me advice about releasing records, I just tell her to mind her own damn business.

Of course I kid ... but isn't it fun attempting to explain to "normal" people what it is we do? The label thing isn't so bad - although most folks can't believe that vinyl is still a legitimate format - but with the PR thing, the response I get most is, "so you book shows?" Derf.

Whenever my mom starts giving me advice about releasing records, I just tell her to mind her own damn business.

Of course I kid ... but isn't it fun attempting to explain to "normal" people what it is we do? The label thing isn't so bad - although most folks can't believe that vinyl is still a legitimate format - but with the PR thing, the response I get most is, "so you book shows?" Derf.

very true. you would think after 10years of doing this "label thing" it would mean less questions. haha. but yeah, its always amusing trying to explain stuff to "norms". makes for an interesting day.