Ideas - Travel to New York...what to do, where to

Hi there

My girl and I will travel to New York (end of April). We`ll stay 7 nights, and of course we have gone through some books and asked friends about what to see and cool stuff to do.

So, what else are we missing, apart from eating a burger at the Shake Shack?

Feel free to post your ideas and stuff....

Eating, drinking, record shops, concerts, sightseeing, shopping (as I mentioned...my girl is in the travelteam :-) ), relaxing......and so on.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

The only good Pizza in Manhattan is Grimaldi's (at a former club called Limelight.) quote]

I love Grimaldi's too but there's plenty of other great pizza in Manhattan including Joe's on Carmine Street in the West Village.

If you're into good beer check out Rattle n' Hum on East 33rd St (btw 5th and Madison). They've got a great selection, including limited casks.

In terms of general bar hopping though, my neighborhoods of choice are the East Village (check out Drop Off Service on Ave A btw 13th and 14th street) and the Lower East Side (try the Sixth Ward on Orchard Street and The Donnybrook on Clinton Street).

Definitely check out Chinatown, including the spicy pork sandwich at this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/banh-mi-saigon-new-york Trust me, it's awesome and it's under $4.00.

My other favorite sandwich in the city is at Porchetta on East 7th Street (btw 1st Ave and Ave. A). The pork sandwich is $11 but it's worth it: www.porchettanyc.com/

Go up the empire state building and then hit up the NY Public Library at Byrant Park. They are super dork tourist spots but well worth it (especially the views of the ESB).

For bars, go to brooklyn. Cheaper and more atmosphere than "the city".

Unless you go to Corner Bistro near 14th Street and 8th ave for 2 dollar half pints of McSorley's ale and some of the greatest burgers ever.

Walk the billyburg bridge, rent a bike and bike central park. if you like beer you need to check out: rattle & hum on 33rd, the blind tiger in the west village, lucky dog on bedford in bk and barcade in brooklyn. oh and breuklyn bier merchants on grand in brooklyn.

check out the museums. my favs in this order: AMNH, The Cloisters, MoMa.

avoid times square like the g-damn plague. if you want anymore recc's hit me up. im gonna try to start posting more again.

Walk the billyburg bridge, rent a bike and bike central park. if you like beer you need to check out: rattle & hum on 33rd, the blind tiger in the west village, lucky dog on bedford in bk and barcade in brooklyn. oh and breuklyn bier merchants on grand in brooklyn.

check out the museums. my favs in this order: AMNH, The Cloisters, MoMa.

avoid times square like the g-damn plague. if you want anymore recc's hit me up. im gonna try to start posting more again.

The Cloisters is fantastic! Also I am going to add the MET to the list of museums due to the fact that its free.

While I hate the crowds in Williamsburg, they have fantastic bars (barcade, Radegast Hall, The Charleston,) and no one can turn down the power of Criff Dogs.

Also...no one mentioned Generation Records :P

Theres so much to do you can't really go wrong. The only good Pizza in Manhattan is Grimaldi's (at a former club called Limelight.) Just mainly avoid Times Square. It really is a waste of time.

I had to stop reading the thread. This statement is SOOOOOO wrong. This guy is telling you to head over to an outlet of a Brooklyn Parlor. I get loyalties but Grimaldi isn't fit to clean the ovens at either Lombardi's on Spring St. or John's over on Bleeker. The old Limelight is a shopping mall. This cat is trying to send you off to Sbarro's or something. Ha ha. (nothing personal, you know I like you)

(ok, Grimaldi is good but he isn't the best. Why travel all this way only to settle for a place that is maybe third).

Other things that are Free:

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge - one of my favorite things to do

Visit Time Square at night - only need to do it once but no place like it in the U.S.

Ride the Staten Island Ferry for a great view of the harbor and Statue of Liberty (it's free)

I'll come up with more more but I'm thinking of free stuff for you.

if we are looking for records...williamsburg has academy and co-op 87, earwax is there too, but isnt as good, in manhattan kims gets forgotten, as does the manhattan academy. i love generation as well. sounds in st. marks is cool for cd promos. but my favorite, if you have an afternoon and want the hands down best pizza is Tunes. hear me out, hop on the path and take it to Hoboken, walk up washington st and go to tunes, they have so many gems in their used vinyl bins and some (sometimes over priced) new stuff. then walk up further to Benny Tudino's. seriously it is the best pizza in NYC and its in fucking NJ. it takes about 15 min on the path to get from midtown manhattan to hoboken and is totally worth it.

Theres so much to do you can't really go wrong. The only good Pizza in Manhattan is Grimaldi's (at a former club called Limelight.) Just mainly avoid Times Square. It really is a waste of time.

I had to stop reading the thread. This statement is SOOOOOO wrong. This guy is telling you to head over to an outlet of a Brooklyn Parlor. I get loyalties but Grimaldi isn't fit to clean the ovens at either Lombardi's on Spring St. or John's over on Bleeker. The old Limelight is a shopping mall. This cat is trying to send you off to Sbarro's or something. Ha ha. (nothing personal, you know I like you)

(ok, Grimaldi is good but he isn't the best. Why travel all this way only to settle for a place that is maybe third).

Ok Ok I gotta clear something up because I got two people upset :P

When I mean theres no good Pizza in Manhattan (which lets face it there isn't much) people are often looking for a slice. And slices overall in Manhattan are mediocre at best (C'mon people.) I haven't tried Lombardis but I'm a personally a fan of Grimaldi's (gotta get Garlic on it though.) And Dave...I'm assuming you meant I'm trying to send this cat to Di Fara's in Midwood...I can't recommend it cause I had it 10 years ago. Dom is getting old and theres always an hour wait with no seats :o (Somebody cue the office scene at Sbarro gif)

Yeah it's weird that Limelight is a shopping mall when it used to be a club I could dance to bad music and sniff lines off hookers and then go see Alkaline Trio.

Dave good recommendation of avoiding Soho. It really is annoying to walk around.

Nobody mentioned Seredipity?

I was making a joke. Isn't the original Grimaldi's in Brooklyn?

The legend as I know it:

Lombardi invented the NY Pie. His place on Spring street still stands with the original coal oven (essential). His employees John and Grimaldi each broke off opening their own parlors. All three are fantastic but you are right: John's and Lombardi's have no slices.

And I wasn't mad. Debating pizza is a great NY/NJ thing to do. We all have opinions and I love trying new places even though most don't stack up. A great walk up slice is Joe's on Bleeker and Artichoke on 14th (tons of hype on this newbie).

I used to see shows at the Limelight. I'd sneak out in High School to head up there. The owner essentially introduced Ecstacy to the East Coast - his distro business is what led to his arrest.

One more thing for now: avoid SoHo. It's all high fashion packed with Euro shoppers looking for sunglasses. It's the most over-hyped and unneeded part of the city.

You can't even walk your dog down broadway there lol

But Soho does have the sexiest buildings in nyc; Old iron cast storefronts. So try to go when its mostly empty (weekdays while people are at work and before 11am.)

and if you guys get bored, head to my favorite guilty pleasure, Zombie Hut...very very boozy rum drinks in mason jars and free goldfish crackers lol. Also you and your gf can share a giant Frozen Zombie Bowl (like 3 types of rum mixed with a fruity frozen mixture).

I was making a joke. Isn't the original Grimaldi's in Brooklyn?

The legend as I know it:

Lombardi invented the NY Pie. His place on Spring street still stands with the original coal oven (essential). His employees John and Grimaldi each broke off opening their own parlors. All three are fantastic but you are right: John's and Lombardi's have no slices.

And I wasn't mad. Debating pizza is a great NY/NJ thing to do. We all have opinions and I love trying new places even though most don't stack up. A great walk up slice is Joe's on Bleeker and Artichoke on 14th (tons of hype on this newbie).

I used to see shows at the Limelight. I'd sneak out in High School to head up there. The owner essentially introduced Ecstacy to the East Coast - his distro business is what led to his arrest.

I was kidding with you too dude. I knew you wasn't mad. Hence the :P I'm not that passionate about it. While on the subject though I think Grimaldi's actually broke off from Patsy's if I'm not mistaken. Oh and I forgot about Artichoke. Thats a fucking meal right there.

Check out Max Brenner, I went the one down in SoHo after a Touche Amore show in December and I've been there 5-6 times since, if you like anything chocolate go here, this place is incredible.

Havanna Central near Times Square is a great restaurant, When I went the service was great, the food was also awesome, it's also fairly cheap.

Search and Destroy, it's a vintage like punk store, I've personally never been but I hear it's a pretty dope place to check out.

Talking about this makes me want to go to the city. Thank god I live a half hour train ride away.

You can't even walk your dog down broadway there lol

But Soho does have the sexiest buildings in nyc; Old iron cast storefronts. So try to go when its mostly empty (weekdays while people are at work and before 11am.)

and if you guys get bored, head to my favorite guilty pleasure, Zombie Hut...very very boozy rum drinks in mason jars and free goldfish crackers lol. Also you and your gf can share a giant Frozen Zombie Bowl (like 3 types of rum mixed with a fruity frozen mixture).

and after this week, we really need some amy winehouse rehab ;D