Awesome finds...

this is the coolest thread.

Definitely. Missed it the first time around.

If I had an actual camera and not just the one on my iphone I would post a picture of all the turtles in my backyard and let DeadReckoning identify them. I live on a canal and there are usually 3-5 perched on this log in the middle of it. Iphone doesn't really zoom close enough, though...

Definitely. Missed it the first time around.

If I had an actual camera and not just the one on my iphone I would post a picture of all the turtles in my backyard and let DeadReckoning identify them. I live on a canal and there are usually 3-5 perched on this log in the middle of it. Iphone doesn't really zoom close enough, though...

If you're in Michigan, the chances are that the turlles are either painted turtles or red-eared sliders. These look like your typical pond turltes, but are fairly easy to tell apart. The most conspicuous difference is the red-earded slider has a red mark behind each eye, while the painted turlte has a yellow mark behind each eye. The other common turtle found in ponds is the snapping turtle and it's fairly distinctive.

Here is some info on the turtles of Michigan

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12145_12201-60656--,00.html

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eastern box turtle - Terrapene carolina carolina

SandySpringNW_04June2013_EBTU_01_RAguila

Northern Diamondback terrapin - Malaclemys terrapin terrapin

GreatFoxIslandNE_21June2013_NDBT_RAguila

Northern Green Frog - Lithobates (Rana) clamitans melanota

BeltsvilleSE_21July2013_NGFR_RAguilar_zp

Green Treefrog - Hyla cinerea

PrincessAnnCW_22July2013_GRET_RAguilar_z

Northern two-lined salamander - Eurycea bislineata  I apologize for the crappy cell phone pic. I thought it came out better when i took it. However, i have not found too many before and i am still pleased nonetheless.

ManchesterSE_28July2013_NTLS_02_RAguilar

Rock Bass - Ambloplites rupestris i know this is not a herp, but it was my 1st rock bass and t'was awesome.

RockBass_UpperBay_zpscb8d993a.jpg

this is badass, yo.

reminds me of my daycamp experiences, wandering through the woods trying to find critters. all we ever really found were newts, but for an 8 or 9 year old, that was cool enough.

next time im in NOVA, if you want more company id love to tag along. also, where the fuck in the DC metro area did you manage to find a rattlesnake? thats terrifying. 

Next time i head to Huntley Meadows i will let you know. There is another DC guy that was interested too. The timber was out west past Faquier County. You have to be out in the hills to find them around here. My co-worker just went camping at Rocky Gap State Park in western MD and his girlfriend nearly stepped one while hiking. got the rattle and everything.

Wood Frog - Rana sylvatica

BristolSW_03August2013_WOFR_RAguilar_zps

Northern Two-lined Salamander larvae (the tadpole stage to the adult above) - Eurycea bislineata

BristolSW_03August2013_NTLS_02_RAguilar_

A very tiny Fowler's toad - Anaxyrus fowleri

BristolSW_03August2013_FOTO_RAguilar_zps

A better look at a Northern Diamondback Terrapin - Malaclemys terrapin terrapin

DealeIslandSE_06Aug2013_NDBT_RAguilar_zp

Northern Grey-cheeked Salamander missing most of it's tail - Plethodon montanus

P_montanus_GranfatherMountain_2K9_zps7bd

Blue Ridge Dusky Salamander - Desmognathus orestes

D_orestes_GranfatherMount_2K9_zps217ca88

crazy. given the spruce in the background you're probably not too far south. Where was this found? What did you do with it? Someone is probably missing their pet snake in your neighnorhood. I am not too familar with the pet trade, but given the small size and girth it's looks like a well fed ball python. i can ask someone who knows for sure.

crazy. given the spruce in the background you're probably not too far south. Where was this found? What did you do with it? Someone is probably missing their pet snake in your neighnorhood. I am not too familar with the pet trade, but given the small size and girth it's looks like a well fed ball python. i can ask someone who knows for sure.

Yeah, definitely hope he didn't just let it go. That thing could definitely end some cat's lives.

I know florida is full of burmese pythons now but I have watched enough Discovery Channel to know that they aren't colored like that.