Record Store day sucks ass.

RSD is actually a great concept but the major labels just went ahead and fucked it up completely from the get go. I'm still gonna buy 3-4 for 7s this year just so I can pump some extra money into my favorite local shop. I will be buying the rest of the things I want 6 months down the road for half the price.

Edit - "watered down Sum 41 pop punk retard garbage" is one of the funnier things I've read around here lately. Good stuff.

Thing is though, not every RSD release gets devalued over time, just look at the Ryan Adams - Class Mythology RSD release as an example. Ultimately youre not there because of the albums secondary market value, youre there because its a fun event shared by fellow music lovers and there are records being sold at a store, that you can afford, that you want to buy, that you would ideally like to listen to that day.

I like my local record stores and i like the fact that they get a day that makes them a good amount of money which helps them buy new titles, pay their employees/rent/taxes, etc... If my local record store is forced to close, Im forced to drive further to the next one and if that one closes down, repeat process. Cant believe were on a vinyl collection message board yet there are jaded folks on here about helping out record stores.

I can understand not going if you dont like the titles being released this year (my counter argument would be to diversify your musical tastes a bit more), but you also need to realize that the world doesnt strictly revolve around you either.

In a year where some are complaining about the releases, this is easily the best release lineup in my and im sure lots of other peoples opinions.

I like record stores too and I see your point. Look, if RSD is about saving the local stores, fine. But just because I want the Moneen repress without having to deal with clueless employees, limited numbers and the chance that it's not there, doesn't mean I think the world revolves around me.

The record store business is a rough business. I've seen them close like everyone else. But I've not seen them hitting the streets, setting up booths at local events, or doing anything to advertise. Print off some flyers for pete's sake and pound the pavement. Simple things like friendly and knowlegable employees, listening stations and reasonable prices would go a long way. I went into my local shop and told the guy I was interested in buying a bunch of cassettes but he wouldn't print me a list (or even read it to me) of bands from a specific label (off wikipedia), not because he couldn't but because he wouldn't. One minute of his time. Whatever, I'm ranting. Point is I reserve the right to complain.

Ryan Adams sucks.
My favorite troll is back! And everyone is feeding him. Love it. Kyle, I wish you would dump your boyfriend so we could ride off together into the sunset!

I come back every few months to brighten everyone's days.

Im glad you feel that way. More room for me to dance. Regardless, Im jacked to hear his 7" of Bob Mould covers for RSD.

But just because I want the Moneen repress without having to deal with clueless employees, limited numbers and the chance that it's not there, doesn't mean I think the world revolves around me.

Dine Alone has already said it'll be in their online store at 8PM EST on RSD since the repress was rejected as an official release. you most likely won't find that in your local store already.

RSD is actually a great concept but the major labels just went ahead and fucked it up completely from the get go. I'm still gonna buy 3-4 for 7s this year just so I can pump some extra money into my favorite local shop. I will be buying the rest of the things I want 6 months down the road for half the price.

Edit - "watered down Sum 41 pop punk retard garbage" is one of the funnier things I've read around here lately. Good stuff.

Thing is though, not every RSD release gets devalued over time, just look at the Ryan Adams - Class Mythology RSD release as an example.

I didn't say every single release but there is always a huge amount of leftover shit for months at my local shops and they get marked down to around half price. The few things I will buy the day of are releases I'm interested that will be harder to get down the road. The Crosses 7" is something I'm going to buy the day of for sure.

As I said before, the concept of RSD is great but it was sodomized by major labels from the beginning.

I have a love hate relationship with RSD

I love that it helps out all the local stores in town and there are always tons of releases I want.

I hate the fact that it feels like the record industry is completely taking advantage and exploiting pretty much the only group of people that still regularly buy music. Also, it has taken this whole black Friday atmosphere were you have to get there hours before the store open and then at some places it becomes a mad dash and everyone turns into an asshole.

I hate record store day because I live in a small town with no record store. Last year I had to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to drive almost 2 hours to a record store, them drive 2 hours back to try to make it to work in time. Just for one BTBAM ep. I'm for record stores and what not, but it sucks when you live in a small town and you're forced to spend time and gas money for something you really want that could easily be put online.

Who wants to go to a record store and deal with crowds and over priced shit? That's not what I got into records for, I will spend RSD in some dingy flea market digging through terrible fucking Chiliwack LPs hoping to find something awesome hiding amongst the trash.

Have fun with your special edition reissues priced at 20x their actual value losers!

Not gunna read the thread so sorry if it has already been said, but why not just go to record stores any other day of the year. I just had a monster score on a bunch of new arrivals in the used section of a record store that participates in RSD. If there wasn't record store day it might not be profitable enough to remain open.

Is the empire records sound track really being released on RSD? fuck, that martinis song is killer. I take back what I said earlier, I will be there.

or maybe just buy the cd for 5 bucks.

OMG yes... Gin Blossoms - "Til I Hear It From You"... i played the cd so much i scratched it to high hell.

Is the empire records sound track really being released on RSD? fuck, that martinis song is killer. I take back what I said earlier, I will be there.

or maybe just buy the cd for 5 bucks.

OMG yes... Gin Blossoms - "Til I Hear It From You"... i played the cd so much i scratched it to high hell.

Just found new miserable experience for 2 bucks in a good will a few weeks ago, hadn't listened to it in ages.

Who wants to go to a record store and deal with crowds and over priced shit? That's not what I got into records for, I will spend RSD in some dingy flea market digging through terrible fucking Chiliwack LPs hoping to find something awesome hiding amongst the trash.

Have fun with your special edition reissues priced at 20x their actual value losers!

Not gunna read the thread so sorry if it has already been said, but why not just go to record stores any other day of the year. I just had a monster score on a bunch of new arrivals in the used section of a record store that participates in RSD. If there wasn't record store day it might not be profitable enough to remain open.

I do, but I never pass up on a chance to rip on some of the knobs that frequent these forums.

This is funny because RSD brings out a lot of people that never come out to record stores the rest of the year. They only want the "exclusives".

Regulars generally don't care about the day.

DING DING DING!! Best reply ITT...+1

...but you also need to realize that the world doesnt strictly revolve around you either.

You realize this is VC right? 90% of the posters here don't believe in heliocentrism. I may go to find stuff to flip cuz I. NEED. MONEY.

[image]