Latest eBay Annoyance (Feedback Extortion Content)

Something happened to me just last week - guy bought a Sigur Ros record that I listed as new, although it had been opened to take a picture (ok, maybe I should have listed as used), BUT IT WAS OPENED IN THE PICTURE. He firsts leaves neutral feedback, and I think "whatever, this guy doesn't even e-mail me. At least he doesn't want money back." A week later, I get the dreaded 'item not as described' email. He says in his Paypal complaint, "I have received seller item in South Korea, and although I have purchase it for your 'New' statement the case is opend and booklet is dirty and scratches on the vinyl.Several times either $20 refund but the seller is returned item and told me to pay shipping coast to me.I just want my money back only $ 20.I can't communication with the seller so claims request."l

Well I go through the whole process saying I'll refund the whole auction if he'll return it, and he says no, and we repeat for a week.

I then escalate because I want my money back in my account, and he loses his mind, saying how unfair it is. Well he just closed the case.

Another win.

Not to take away from your story which is much funnier (sorry) and terrible, but eBay really sucks for sellers. BAD. Hope you get it settled. If you die soon, at least we know who to go looking for.

So the buyer lost, gkersey? If the guy from south korea had brains all he would have to say is he never recieved the item and he would have won. By him admitting to having it paypal found in your favor. It also sounds like he was using google translator.

Yeah he lost. He was using a US address to ship to, and I'm guessing it then got sent to Korea, so he couldn't pull that.

The reason I don't ship overseas unless they pay for tracking.

That's incredibly crazy that they would hand out your phone number like that. Hope everything works out in your favor.

I once had someone place a phony bid on one of my auctions just so they could request my contact information, call me and harass me. Anyone who bids on anything can do it—it's actually surprisingly easy to get another eBay user's information.

I once had someone place a phony bid on one of my auctions just so they could request my contact information, call me and harass me. Anyone who bids on anything can do it—it's actually surprisingly easy to get another eBay user's information.

That's all a new thought for me. Coming from my job's mentality where all of our members info is on lockdown, I'm just surprised they could freely give that out.

Ultimately the problem is that eBay is moving away from user-to-user sale of stuff like old shit you had lying around and more towards institutional sales (i.e. a record store using eBay as their online presence). Which means they're treating indivuduals like companies. All of their new policies (including the ones announced today) are all about making the experience better for the buyer. Sellers are losing all of their power against scammers. I'm sure there's all sorts of data to back up eBay's decision to do that, but it makes it hard for people like us just trying to sell records. If Discogs wasn't such a mess with such a tiny tiny amount of traffic, there'd be no reason to sell records on eBay. Eventually these niche sites will take over that section of the market but it's been a long slow process and I'll be out of the game by then because I do not have the patience for this shit.

I just started selling some stuff on eBay... Hope I'm not making a mistake? Maybe I'll just start selling stuff to people on here instead...

But man, yeah... What massive goth cahones on that guy! I can't believe people do that. I've been buying records on eBay for several years now and I would never even imagine dicking with somebody like that. Doesn't this guy have a fucking life?

The few items I've sold on eBay have had pretty large tickets - somewhere between $90 - $300. I've yet to get dicked over [knock on wood], and while I'm well aware that eBay is vastly tilted in the favor of buyers, stories like this still scare the hell out of me.

"hi i was just wondering i saw this for sale eariler today and it looked like somebaody bought it and then later i saw it for sale again so i bought it now was there a problem with the buyer or something please let me know otherwise payment will be sent tomorrow please pack well and write fragile all over the box also please send me a delivery confirmation # let me know when it ships"

Also, I became short-breathed trying to read this in my head.

• 6 months later...

Huh, this guy just tried fuckin me on the brand new antichrist superstar lp from hot topic. He was pulling all the same tricks. Asking for a little more, etc. I thought on this for a hour. Then it hit me. I should look this guy up on the boards. Busted! Thank you sooo much for posting this guys bs.