THRICE ANNOUNCE ANTHOLOGY 4LP set

If you judge Thrice based off of any one album, then that's completely ignorant. No two albums sound alike. That being said, if you've heard several albums over their discography and form an opinion off of that, then that's completely fair. They're not a singles band though. Each album is meant to be a completely cohesive project that usually has similar sounds, atmosphere and lyrical content. I don't care if people don't like them, as long as it's based off of a proper listen.

i dont. ive listened to most of their albums. ive liked a handful of stuff, albeit a long time ago. i get why these guys have stretched far beyond the rubble of the emo era. comparable to brand new, they fit the mold closely for a long enough period of time that there was no escaping those roots in the minds of fans and critics.

but then their music became completely meaningless to me. beneath the neat concepts, experiments, and gimmicks if you will, it just wasnt very good.

in my opinion, the dear hunter kind of beat them to the punch. determined for an overall diversified sound, casey kicked off his treosaining wheels, wrote a story, and brought it to life with the freedom of creativity.

and this isnt to say theres no creativity in thrice, but i dont believe their sound has enough freedom. i hear their music, and its heavy rock... but i mean heavy in the sense that its completely weighted down and grounded. to the point they they never seem like they can escape their roots in "chugga chugga" screamo,

the dear hunter kind of stole the sound and maturation that thrice hadnt even thought of achieving yet, and did it with just two albums.

i lol not because people like thrice. i lol because you guys like thrice way too much to warrant the kind of frenzies that go on around here. go ahead and say the same about brand new, but we only get treated once every few years. this thrice nonsense is perpetual.

but then their music became completely meaningless to me. beneath the neat concepts, experiments, and gimmicks if you will, it just wasnt very good.

in my opinion, the dear hunter kind of beat them to the punch. determined for an overall diversified sound, casey kicked off his treosaining wheels, wrote a story, and brought it to life with the freedom of creativity.

and this isnt to say theres no creativity in thrice, but i dont believe their sound has enough freedom. i hear their music, and its heavy rock... but i mean heavy in the sense that its completely weighted down and grounded. to the point they they never seem like they can escape their roots in "chugga chugga" screamo,

2hqcp4j.jpg

Please correct me if I'm misreading your post, Ry, because that's entirely possible. But are you saying that Thrice - to you - can't escape a "chugga chugga screamo" or heavy sound? I ask with complete sincerity: have you listened to Thrice in the last six years? Your post would be entirely credible if you had made it in 2003, as one could argue that their first three albums follow a similar style of aggression. I feel like they really pushed their boundaries (and consequently alienated themselves from a good chunk of their fanbase) with their fourth album, Vheissu. Price of progress.

And I find it ironically amusing that you'd say TDH beat Thrice to any kind of punch. That's your opinion - and I can entirely respect it - but when The Color Spectrum was announced... there's no denying that Thrice and Alchemy Index were the buzzwords that circled its discussion. What's more is that you can't really compare the two. [For what it's worth, I love both bands.] TDH encompass a lot more atypical instruments, weave an ongoing story - which all the lyrics pertain to - and sport an eccentric, rich, broadway-esque sound. Thrice; not so much. That's not to say that Thrice fails to deliver in any category -- they're just writing music for an entirely different audience. To say that TDH has "beat" Thrice in terms of progressing and evolving is almost pointless -- neither are the first band to evolve and push their boundaries through the course of their discography.

I'm not saying that one band is better than the other. I'm merely pointing out that TDH - in my opinion - isn't the first to one-up Thrice (or any band). And respectively, Thrice isn't the first band to establish a constantly changing sound through their career.

Just my 2¢.

2hqcp4j.jpg

Please correct me if I'm misreading your post, Ry, because that's entirely possible. But are you saying that Thrice - to you - can't escape a "chugga chugga screamo" or heavy sound? I ask with complete sincerity: have you listened to Thrice in the last six years? Your post would be entirely credible if you had made it in 2003, as one could argue that their first three albums follow a similar style of aggression. I feel like they really pushed their boundaries (and consequently alienated themselves from a good chunk of their fanbase) with their fourth album, Vheissu. Price of progress.

And I find it ironically amusing that you'd say TDH beat Thrice to any kind of punch. That's your opinion - and I can entirely respect it - but when The Color Spectrum was announced... there's no denying that Thrice and Alchemy Index were the buzzwords that circled its discussion. What's more is that you can't really compare the two. [For what it's worth, I love both bands.] TDH encompass a lot more atypical instruments, weave an ongoing story - which all the lyrics pertain to - and sport an eccentric, rich, broadway-esque sound. Thrice; not so much. That's not to say that Thrice fails to deliver in any category -- they're just writing music for an entirely different audience. To say that TDH has "beat" Thrice in terms of progressing and evolving is almost pointless -- neither are the first band to evolve and push their boundaries through the course of their discography.

I'm not saying that one band is better than the other. I'm merely pointing out that TDH - in my opinion - isn't the first to one-up Thrice (or any band). And respectively, Thrice isn't the first band to establish a constantly changing sound through their career.

Just my 2¢.

ive listened to most of their albums.

i just looked back at their discography, and i can honestly say ive listened to everything except the first and last albums. and this includes see us now, red sky, and even some of dustins solo stuff. they were one of those bands that was always on my ipod "just because".. by the time beggars came around the appeal completely wore off.

the most significant part of my comparison to the dear hunter comes from the first time when i saw them live, and wondered "is that the dude from thrice?"

when it comes to vocals, casey resembles him... except way more talented.

but the way i see it, from vhiessu on, thrice needed entire albums to achieve a sound that had a setting, an ambiance, and a world in which to exist.

but when i listen to the dear hunter, they achieve this worldly sound in a single track. by the time youre done with an album, you have a solar system.

and my intention here is not to derail this into any sort of dear hunter ball washing. act 3 barely lived up to the standard of the first two. and there wasnt much off the color spectrum that really worked for me... except yellow. red too, but especially yellow.

the novelty i get out of the color spectrum is that some days a certain color seems fitting. its fun to see if the corresponding ep harmonizes.

i know this is all opinion. but thrice is a band that ive seen fade from the interest of just about anyone else around me who would have listened to them. and it honestly surprises me that so many people still havent, as i see it, outgrown them.

Consecutive knockouts. I like that, But they were knockouts to you..just as everything after Jupiter were knockouts to me. I definitely see Ry's point, other bands beat thrice to the conceptual point before they could of released their relationship of command. The true test of a legacy is how many shitty bands you inspire. their legacy is strong.

god forbid a discussion about music is had on a record forum

am i supposed to limit myself to only talking about bands that i really like or really hate?

i sure as shit wouldn't dedicate much time to something you clearly don't like no.

like say thoroughly listening(or so you make it seem) to a majority of the bands entire catalogue only to dismiss them.

i already said i used to like some of their stuff. most of it i heard through co-workers who played a lot of their early stuff at work.

as far as the tangent i went into on the previous page, well my posts have had a tendency to do that the last few days.

god forbid a discussion about music is had on a record forum

am i supposed to limit myself to only talking about bands that i really like or really hate?

Coming into a thread predominantly filled with people who enjoy Thrice and posting "lol Thrice" isn't so much starting a discussion as it is trolling.

Coming into a thread predominantly filled with people who enjoy Thrice and posting "lol Thrice" isn't so much starting a discussion as it is trolling.

it was trolling the first time i did it about 6 months ago. now its just a running joke that i dont expect anyone else to be aware of.

the funniest part of all this, was that when i first saw the thread i was shocked that it was only at page 2. now we're on page 4, and the trollolhater is responsible for it.

but im done now. i assumed that providing a thought out debate would spark some actual discussion. then again, these are thrice fans..

it was trolling the first time i did it about 6 months ago. now its just a running joke that i dont expect anyone else to be aware of.

the funniest part of all this, was that when i first saw the thread i was shocked that it was only at page 2. now we're on page 4, and the trollolhater is responsible for it.

but im done now. i assumed that providing a thought out debate would spark some actual discussion. then again, these are thrice fans..

hehe, thrice fans