Help me find my "white whale"

patrick

I think the term "white whale" needs to be more strictly defined. I know it's sort of a personal definition but to me a "white whale" is something that they made very very few of and is highly unlikely that you'll ever find. Thus the whole reference to moby dick. There's like one in the world and you want it. An LP they made even a couple thousand of isn't a "white whale" it's a record that's being sort of a bitch to find but will more than likely show up. This isn't a reference to anything in this thread...just a general bitch. Maybe ya'll could start calling them Grey Whales. It's something you might not see every trip out but eventually it'll pop up.

I think the term "white whale" needs to be more strictly defined. I know it's sort of a personal definition but to me a "white whale" is something that they made very very few of and is highly unlikely that you'll ever find. Thus the whole reference to moby dick. There's like one in the world and you want it. An LP they made even a couple thousand of isn't a "white whale" it's a record that's being sort of a bitch to find but will more than likely show up. This isn't a reference to anything in this thread...just a general bitch. Maybe ya'll could start calling them Grey Whales. It's something you might not see every trip out but eventually it'll pop up.

Perhaps an off-white whale?

thischarmingham - i made the same point in another thread where some dude said he finally got his white whale, which i think was an alkaline trio, or afi or something record that is upfor sale all the time. and in that thread people were naming records that thousands were made, and is pretty easy to buy, but just out of their price range, and i tried to explain the moby dick thing, and how white whales are things that are so hard to find that some people even doubt its existence, and youve never seen, or only seen like once or twice, etc.

but everyone disagreed with me.

I think the term "white whale" is pretty subjective. It's not really about the rarity of the record itself, it's more about the personal desire for it. A white whale, to me, is just something I really really want, but thus far has been elusive. It could even be something that no one else on earth cares about, but you want it badly and can't seem to get your hands on it. "One man's trash is another man's treasure", if you will.

Like I said (in the other thread), my white whale is (and will continue to be) New Mexican Disaster Squad/Western Addiction Split on blue/red vinyl. Richard from NMDS said only four were made and never sold. It's not on the No Idea website and Var said he wasn't even sure if they were around. Sure they're not as popular as AFI, but that's a mutherfucker of a record to find.

Like I said (in the other thread), my white whale is (and will continue to be) New Mexican Disaster Squad/Western Addiction Split on blue/red vinyl. Richard from NMDS said only four were made and never sold. It's not on the No Idea website and Var said he wasn't even sure if they were around. Sure they're not as popular as AFI, but that's a mutherfucker of a record to find.

That's inarguably a white whale.

I think the term "white whale" is pretty subjective. It's not really about the rarity of the record itself, it's more about the personal desire for it. A white whale, to me, is just something I really really want, but thus far has been elusive. It could even be something that no one else on earth cares about, but you want it badly and can't seem to get your hands on it. "One man's trash is another man's treasure", if you will.

Because in reality it really doesn't matter what people consider the definition of the term to be I guess I really don't care. But it's just weird to be a music fan collecting records for 15 years and having the definition being one thing and all of a sudden this wave comes along and terms it something else. Especially when the new definition seems to contradict what I always felt was the true meaning. Once again who really cares I guess...it's just odd. Soon a "hitter" will mean any record over $10.

What's hilarious is this could easily devolve in to a serious literary discussion about the meaning of Moby Dick that could take years to eventually never be fully resolved.

well, you can make the argument for anything. how many different messageboards have arguments over the word "emo"

well it USED to mean ......

but NOW it means.....

thats generally always what happens. something starts out as a small word in its original meaning and over time as whatever it is gets more popular, it gets bastardized and the meaning changes.

though personally, i find it hard to argue with something that has a specific meaning based on a classic work of literature. you cant really change a classic book

I think the term "white whale" is pretty subjective. It's not really about the rarity of the record itself, it's more about the personal desire for it. A white whale, to me, is just something I really really want, but thus far has been elusive.

I agree.

One of my most recent "white whales" was TGUK FMM on gold/clear yellow...for sentimental reasons...I was finally able to snag it...in perfect shape.