Nail Biting

zacaroo21

I have an honest and legit question. How does this sort of habit even start? I've always just clipped my fingernails when they got too long or whatever for my liking. It never once occurred to me in my entire life to bite them off. I've even tried before just for the hell of it and I just can't do it.

It's not a thing like, "oh my nails need to be trimmed.." NOMNOMNOM!

It's either a dexterous or oral fixation, a nervous habit, or some other subconscious urge. I think I'm a double-wammy because I like chewing on things and I always fiddle, so if I have nothing to do with myself and am distracted or deep in thought, I catch my fingers in my mouth all the time.

Shockingly, I work in a school and live in ice rinks, which are both notoriously terrible when it comes to cleanliness, and I rarely get sick. I have the immune system of a mo'fuckin CHAMP!

edit: dexterous is certainly not the right word, but I don't know a way to phrase it... what I'm going for is the urge to play with your fingers or doing something with your hands.

i remember the exact moment it happened. i was in the car with my dad, and i noticed him biting. it was something i was never even aware of before that, and something like 18 years later, here i am..

i also attribute my good immune system to the habit. im the exact opposite of a germaphobe, and i do just effing fine.

For me, I get super annoyed with where the cuticles end and the nail begins on the corners...that little part gets dry and it irritates me. Then when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing I bite it off. Then once that part is bitten, the ends of my nails gets chipped and it cuts my other fingers...that sharpness irritates me as well and the unconscious biting starts all over again.

I've done this for as long as I can remember. No idea how it started....maybe they can hypnotize me and figure out why I do it. People do that, right?

i used to sit next to this coworker who would bite his nails and spit them out like he was a baseball player spitting sunflower seeds in the dugout. it was fucking gross. i hated shaking hands with him or sharing chips with him. i always check myself, my desk, and the floor to see if his nails flew by. i'm glad i got promoted and he's found a new job.

he also picked his nose.

Yea the sick or worms has no effect on me, I'm just tired of this god damn habit. I've been biting my whole life and I've never had any health issues. But on the same note, still bite free since this thread. 3 nails on each hand pretty much look normal already, but my most beat up nails, pinky and ring fingers just grow a lot slower than the others. Just gotta keep it up!

i don't bite my nails, but i always use my teeth to rip out hangnails on the rare occurrence that i get one. i wind up with these awful wounds on my fingertips that last for weeks. i have one right now on my left middle finger and it's sore as hell. been there for almost 2 weeks now.

For me, I get super annoyed with where the cuticles end and the nail begins on the corners...that little part gets dry and it irritates me. Then when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing I bite it off. Then once that part is bitten, the ends of my nails gets chipped and it cuts my other fingers...that sharpness irritates me as well and the unconscious biting starts all over again.

I've done this for as long as I can remember. No idea how it started....maybe they can hypnotize me and figure out why I do it. People do that, right?

I do this exact thing. I hate it, my nails always look like hell.