PO: Beatles Box Set

yancey47

Interesting conversation happening at the moment...

For me, I loved the 'fab four' early stuff when I was younger and disliked the later offerings. As I aged, learned more about music and what the Beatles did to make it, I have come to be very fond of Rubber Soul through Abbey Road in the last ten years.

I just bought Magical Mystery Tour because that's the only one that wasn't included in the "blue box" that I have, and I didn't have a very nice copy of it otherwise. I think it sounds awesome. I think I might get a couple of the other ones and see if I can tell much of a different from the copies that I already have.

Please Please Me is so so good. Anna (Go To Him) is one of the best Beatles songs ever. I think the reason that album is so good because it was still early enough in their career that they weren't being driven to do things by the label/their manager blah blah blah. It's a straight honest youthful rock and roll joint. I think they recorded it in one day pretty much live. Good stuff. Every Beatles album after that was still heavy on hits, but nothing was consistently as good until Rubber Soul, in my opinion.

Please Please Me is so so good. Anna (Go To Him) is one of the best Beatles songs ever. I think the reason that album is so good because it was still early enough in their career that they weren't being driven to do things by the label/their manager blah blah blah. It's a straight honest youthful rock and roll joint. I think they recorded it in one day pretty much live. Good stuff. Every Beatles album after that was still heavy on hits, but nothing was consistently as good until Rubber Soul, in my opinion.

Agreed. I feel like a lot of people write it off because its early Beatles but I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up the repress of Abbey Road, and there is a LOT of surface noise. are any of the other albums bad that you guys have noticed?

I have The White Album and Sgt. Peppers and just got Abbey Road today. Out of the three I would say Abbey Road is the worst in terms of sound quality, but it still sounds really good. The other two sound perfect. However, I have heard a lot about how inconsistent these represses have been. I guess the quality control has been shit.

• 2 weeks later...

The Phsycedelic era was deffinatley the best. Sgt. Pepper is deffinatley my favorite album. Picked up that and revolver from Ht for like 13 bucks. Gunna pick up some more when hotcash starts. Would love to have this boxset but cant justify it when you can get the albums alone for so cheap