Disney Buys Out Lucasfilm Ltd.; Star Wars Ep. VII out in 2015

jhulud

Honestly don't think this is good at all. I am annoyed with the his signature lighting style he uses and I don't really want a stylized Star Wars like I have with Star Trek. I always felt Star Wars was grittier.

100% agree.  If you take a look at the original Star Wars, and even the prequels, bad as they were, they at least have a style to them that is their own.  Lots of wideshots, everything on screen well established.  If this is anything like the Abrams Star Trek it will be disappointing, and who's to say it won't.  That movie made a shit ton of money, and that's all they're after in the end.

I am an unabashed JJ Abrams fanboy. Love everything he is involved with. So naturally part of me is nerding out completely over this. BUT another part of me is worried because it's Star Wars. STAR FUCKIN' WARS!!! That's like the nerd holy grail of all that is sci-fi and awesome. So it's worrisome that it may get screwed up somehow somewhere. Feel me?!?!

I am an unabashed JJ Abrams fanboy. Love everything he is involved with. So naturally part of me is nerding out completely over this. BUT another part of me is worried because it's Star Wars. STAR FUCKIN' WARS!!! That's like the nerd holy grail of all that is sci-fi and awesome. So it's worrisome that it may get screwed up somehow somewhere. Feel me?!?!

I see where you're coming from but JJ has yet to really fuck anything up.  And most things he's involved in are really good.  He and Joss Whedon are kind of in the same boat.  They've had their hands in so much awesome genre shit over the years and are now getting their chance to make awesome, big budget movies the way that they want to.

Agreed. Abrams and Whedon can do no wrong. So far. The way I see it, and this just dawned on me, is that both are of the same generation who grew up with Star Wars and the like when first came out. So their writing and directing and producing is greatly influenced by the great pinnacle of sci-fi and comic book days and so far it has translated greatly into their films and TV shows. 

So the hope is there definitely for ep. VII to be great. And I hope that it is. 

• 1 month later...

It feels like a day doesn't go by without some quote, rumor, or speculation that Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford will return for the next set of Star Wars movies. Earlier this week, Fisher said "yes," only to have her publicist say it was just a joke. But now the latest word comes from arguably the most reliable source: George Lucas. In Bloomberg Businessweek, in a long piece about Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm, the man himself let this slip: “We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison — or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation." He quickly realized his misstep: “Maybe I’m not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them.” Then, trying to cover up: “I won’t say whether the negotiations were successful or not.” Nice try, George.