Disney Buys Out Lucasfilm Ltd.; Star Wars Ep. VII out in 2015

jhulud

Yup. The Disney Co. has bought out Lucasfilm Ltd. and a new Star Wars movie, Episode VII, will be out in 2015.

Reported via numerous sources but here's the official statement from Disney:

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

I feel like I'm in Bizarro World now.

April fools? Jesus fucking christ, that blows.

They'll make a monkey Island movie with Johnny Depp

I would probably shoot myself. Monkey Island changed my life when I was younger.

As an ex-employee of lucasfilm, I can say this is really really surprising. When I was last there (a little over 2 years ago) They assured everyone that no one was buying them and that they were not going public. Needless to say someoe that I used to work with are shocked and paranoid. I really hope merging with the mouse doesn't cause too much heartbreak with employees.

The above posts re: JJ Abrams demonstrate the problem with the Hollywood system. These people aren't geniuses, there's thousands of other more talented filmmakers out there, yet that's all the discussion has been since the announcement. "Will it be Abrams or Whedon??!??" Empire Strikes Back was directed by a guy who was famous for making unsuccessful dramatic art films, and he made the goddamn best movie of them all.

Hollywood feeds us the same shit and lets us think it's what's best for us. Give the movies to an unknown, someone with some new ideas. Hell, Lucas offered ROTJ to a young David Lynch for chrissakes!