Computer people - Need advice

xfedupx

Hey guys, I need some computer advice/opinions. It's time to upgrade my laptop and lately I've been getting into more photo editing (very basic, I'm not a photographer), video editing (same thing, very basic stuff), music making (more so beats/synthy/drum machine stuff), and djing (want to try things like Traktor/Serato/etc).

I know most people who are very into any of the above choose Macs for this, but because I just want to do basic stuff, is a Mac too much for me? Can I do the same type of stuff with a Windows laptop with more ram and costs a lot less?

Black Friday is coming, so I figure it will be a good time to pick something up. What do you think VC?

Thanks!

Thanks guys. Building a laptop isn't something I really want to attempt right now though. Also, it's not so much the OS, I'm fine with either, basically the specs/hardware is what I'm unsure of. Like if I run photoshop on a mac with an i5, is it the same as a windows laptop with an i5.

It might be a stupid question, but I'm really not sure anymore haha

Thanks guys. Building a laptop isn't something I really want to attempt right now though. Also, it's not so much the OS, I'm fine with either, basically the specs/hardware is what I'm unsure of. Like if I run photoshop on a mac with an i5, is it the same as a windows laptop with an i5.

I wasn't suggesting you do it. But there are small companies (check ebay for example) that buy the parts and put them together for you. Often cheaper than buying a factory built (I guess cause they have little overhead). I bought a desktop off ebay and I'm happy with it.

If you are willing to do the black friday thing (getting really good deals on laptops often requires waiting in line all night fyi. They are some of the highest demand items), then maybe the ebay builders couldn't compete with those savings.

But anyways, a windows computer SHOULD do everything you need. And if you really get stuck, there are emulator programs that allow you to run Mac programs on a pc and vice versa (just not as efficiently so you don't want to do it all the time). So I would say just buy the computer with the best specs for the money.

I wasn't suggesting you do it. But there are small companies (check ebay for example) that buy the parts and put them together for you. Often cheaper than buying a factory built (I guess cause they have little overhead). I bought a desktop off ebay and I'm happy with it.

If you are willing to do the black friday thing (getting really good deals on laptops often requires waiting in line all night fyi. They are some of the highest demand items), then maybe the ebay builders couldn't compete with those savings.

But anyways, a windows computer SHOULD do everything you need. And if you really get stuck, there are emulator programs that allow you to run Mac programs on a pc and vice versa (just not as efficiently so you don't want to do it all the time). So I would say just buy the computer with the best specs for the money.

Got it! Thanks man! I was just never sure if Macs had some super secret thing that made all designers and music people like them more. I'll have to check out what you mentioned. I never thought of going that route

Fingers crossed for BF. I've been lucky the past few years and have been able to get stuff I wanted online. Granted I'm not trying to get the 100 dollar laptop at Walmart or whatever, so I'm hoping that the higher priced ones will be easier to get if it's not a doorbuster.

Thanks again guys!

I was just never sure if Macs had some super secret thing that made all designers and music people like them more. I'll have to check out what you mentioned.

They do! Its Marketing. As long as whatever software you use or need will run on the OS you choose, you'll be A-Ok

Possible benefit to being a "Windows" artist, they are so few and far between maybe they'll put you in a commercial!

EDIT: I'd advise against doing thing like editing through an OS emulator. Running to emulation programs can be a serious resource drain on the machine. You might be sacrificing performance unless you get a top of the line machine in that scenario.

Or, you could buy a mac, and dual boot Windows on it. Since that way works and the other way rarely does.

This is what I use, mainly Windows serves for Paint/Solitaire/League of Legends \m/ Also some school programs require me to use it and I'm too lazy to use the labs outside of my dorm.

This is a touchy subject, I prefer Mac for this stuff, the screens seem to be "truer" and the threading of applications seem to be better over all for program usage. I may be bias towards the subject but I prefer the use of Mac in regards to doing anything artistic to say the lease

You don't need a Mac for all of those except if you need a specific program only available for Mac. Today's Windows computers are just as good as Macs and you can get good software for cheap or free. Sure there are less viruses on a Mac. Macs are prettier. But Macs cost a lot more and they are not better. Truly professional work may require Macs and Mac knowledge but if it's personnal use you're paying too much for a white computer with a shiny logo. The same goes for the "smart"phones.

Some people I work for have a lot of money and they sometimes get Macs but only because they're pretty, not because they're better. In fact, I would guess the return/damage rate of Mac computers are about the same as PCs.

I build computers and servers for a living. Working in computers for 10 years.

You don't need a Mac for all of those except if you need a specific program only available for Mac. Today's Windows computers are just as good as Macs and you can get good software for cheap or free. Sure there are less viruses on a Mac. Macs are prettier. But Macs cost a lot more and they are not better. Truly professional work may require Macs and Mac knowledge but if it's personnal use you're paying too much for a white computer with a shiny logo. The same goes for the "smart"phones.

Some people I work for have a lot of money and they sometimes get Macs but only because they're pretty, not because they're better. In fact, I would guess the return/damage rate of Mac computers are about the same as PCs.

Just because I am curious, what programs would fit the bill of "only available on Mac"? Part of the original question was not being 100% sure of the use needs and not wanting to back yourself into a corner through OS choice. I can't imagine there are many.

At most companies / corporations / schools - anyone with a media related job ( graphic, code, photo, sound, video, etc ) is given a mac. An Accountant is given a Windows based computer.

It doesn't sound like you want to do basic stuff to me, basic is word processing, checking your emails, and uploading photos to facebook, and you seem to already know the answer to your question. You want a mac, but you don't want to put the money down for it.

The truth is simple - you're not going to be the most satisfied if you buy a mac. Their not a "luxury" item anymore, they are the best at what they do. You can get a 13" MBP with 3 years of applecare for ~$1500, plus if you're a student you can get $150 off.

I'm in class right now and 17 people have a laptop. 14 of them are macs.

People don't buy mac's because they are shiny and pretty - they buy them because they are high quality, efficient, and have great feedback.

If you're going to bother spending a lot of money on a laptop, you had might as well get a good one.

I have a MBP 15". I got it for college 4 years ago, it has the antiglare screen, and has a 2.8 ghz processor. I love it.

/rant

You made a claim saying macs are superior and then gave no evidence to back it up. That would require pointing out WHY a mac is better (specifically based on a comparison of hardware and/or functionality, not generic terms like high quality and efficient).

I go to apple and a 2.5 ghz i5 dual core, 4gb ram, 500 gb macbook is $1200

I go to amazon and I can get a sony or asus laptop with the same stats for $800.

Factor in that Apple is VERY stingy with discounts (you will see windows computers marked down 30%+ on black friday. Apple usually has discounts like "buy a laptop and get a $50 itunes card"), and the price gap becomes even bigger, even though they are built on the same components.

Thanks again for the replies

gabpower - that's basically the kind of info I was looking for. If I don't "NEED" a Mac to do those things, then perfect

jacobraccuia - I consider what I want to do basic within those specific programs. Like, I'm not a photographer, but I may want to color correct pictures my mom takes with her disposable camera once she gets it developed or put my pugs head on my body and stupid stuff like that.

But I agree with what thebiglebowski said, what makes them better? Definitely not trying to start a mac vs pc type thread, but looking for honest and as unbiased as possible. For example, you mentioned the mbp for 1300, but I could get a Dell with 8gb of ram and a tb hd for 500 on black friday where as the mac is 4gb or so and 500 or 750

I've never used one, but you might want to consider getting a solid state hard drive. Someone was posting on here that their operating system boots up in like 5 seconds with one. You likely would only get 100-200 GB of storage with one, though. You can get a TB of USB storage for under $100 though. You just keep all your music and movies on the USB and 100 GB will be plenty.

Also, you are on a Windows computer now, right? Download Gimp. It is the open-source equivalent to photoshop. Totally free. Can do all your basic photo editing.

I used it because I wanted to crop someone's head into a picture without it being a square like word or paint. Youtube "crop a face in Gimp" and it shows you how to do it in 30 seconds. Can also retouch photo colors, remove red eye, etc.

just to add on to this. as i agree with with this statement, if you're looking to work in specific programs that require a mac, then you should get a mac. if you're looking for something operable that is equivalent to a mac and are not into paying a heavy price, you'd be best suited to a ms operated laptop. but be prepared to have some knowledge to learn how to troubleshoot your computer if any one of the normal problems arise. If you are already use to it, no biggie. also make sure the programs you use are cross platform (as i'm sure most are nowadays) and can be opened and edited in different programs.

that being said...

working in both platforms at one point doing design, i found working with a mac was more useful only because the operating system was far more reliable mainly due to the narrow scope of components that best suited the computer as a whole. less time worrying that at any given time my computer might crash or stall (and it did regularly) without saving (totally something i learned the hard way). that's just from my personal experience. i don't have the time to be troubleshooting problems that my pc was having anymore and would rather spend time focusing on other stuff. since then i've just become accustom to working on a mac. doesn't really make it better or faster, just what i prefer to use. and that's what it comes down to since now i would hope computers and MS's OS would be more reliable and equivalent as far as stability.

Only thing that differentiates them is resale value nowadays and how long they usually last. I've had 3 since 98' (i'm due for a new one soon) so i think that track record keeps me buying them.

but i do agree that people do buy them for aesthetic reasons. can't lie about that. i have friends who bought them and only use them for stupid shit like email and internet, which is a waste of $$$$. i'd rather buy a netbook or something for shit like that.

if you decide on a pc laptop, GIMP is fuckin' phenomenal for the price ( :P). plug-ins galore. i'm just so use to photoshop i just can't see myself using it.

Also, you are on a Windows computer now, right? Download Gimp. It is the open-source equivalent to photoshop. Totally free. Can do all your basic photo editing.

I used it because I wanted to crop someone's head into a picture without it being a square like word or paint. Youtube "crop a face in Gimp" and it shows you how to do it in 30 seconds. Can also retouch photo colors, remove red eye, etc.

My opinion (not that I am a computer blogger or anything) -- People buy Macs for the brand image, the user interface, and the security against virus infection. I doubt there are very many software core functions that aren't available in both.

logic is specific to mac and exporting to pro tools can be somewhat tedious.

I don't use Final cut Pro, but i'm sure the exporting couldn't be that hard, unless there are certain plugins you can't edit in other windows based programs with.

Okay, here's my two cents. The summer of 2011, I spent two months researching components and brands and models, and building different computers on the brands' sites and different computer resellers' sites. I considered a Mac. Until I went to design it. Getting 8GB of RAM, a shitty graphics card, 256GB of SSD storage, 15" display, cost almost $3000. My computer is a MSi, a little known gaming laptop company. It has 16GBs of RAM, a 128GB SSD, and a 500GB HDD, a greatly better graphics card, a 17" full 1080p display, a backlit keyboard, and a badass cooling system. Mine cost me $2100.

I just customized two computers online. The first is a Mac. 16GB of RAM, a 512GB SSD, 15" display, an alright graphics card, and a i7 2.7/3.7ghz processor. The price on it is $3,249. The second is a high-end ASUS gaming laptop. It features the same amount of RAM, same size SSD, exact same processor (going from 2.6ghz to 2.7ghz on Mac costs $250, it's a free upgrade on the ASUS), same size, but upgradable, screen, and a much better graphics card, and it costs $2,208. Keep in mind, these are computers made for high-end gaming, editing, and pretty much doing everything possible at once.

The point I'm getting at, Mac are overpriced as hell. Yeah, they look cool. Yeah, they have a nice OS, but really? The reason Macs were so much better than PCs for a long time was because Apple had a contract on the technology we now know as Sold State Drives, which makes computers run so much faster.

Here's what I would recommend for you. Check out some of the big laptop companies' websites and try and design a few different options. Definitely spend the extra cash and get a Solid State Drive. A 256GB would be preferable. Then, get a 1TB external drive or secondary drive if your laptop supports it. Get 8GB of RAM, get a decent graphics card, and you'll be able to do any sort of editing you want, especially basic things. The processor doesn't honestly matter as much as people think, but I'd definitely go with Intel. As far as the SSD brand goes, I'd go with Intel or Samsung. The SSD and graphics card make the biggest difference in speed for editing and doing basic things out of all the components. The SSDs are pricey, but worth every penny. A regular 7800rpm hard drive can take up to two minutes to boot up. My laptop with an SSD goes from pressing the power button to the desktop in about fourteen seconds, and it's over a year old now. Install all your regular programs (Windows, Word, editing programs, etc) on the SSD and put all your music, games, and movies on your secondary drive. With all that, you should be able to stay under $1300 or so, depending on the brand you go with. If you want, I can help you out.

Most of this advice is the same advice I give all my friends. I helped my buddy build his gaming desktop (like actually build, plus picking out the components). I apologize if I come off as a know-it-all or anything. Really wasn't trying to. Was just giving you my advice. Feel free to completely disregard it and go your own way! You only learn by doing, so they say. I know there are probably more qualified people in this thread to be taking advice from, like the guy who said he had been working with computers for ten or more years. I'm just a kid who spends too much time with technology.

EDIT: So... I kinda missed a big part of the question. Nowadays, there isn't THAT much software that is specific to Macs, which is helping the whole "Macs work better" myth get disproven. The Adobe Suite is expensive (unless you're like me and torrent everything), but very useful. Photoshop is my preferred method (but GIMP is great for basics). Flash is always fun. Premier Pro takes some getting used to, but is very good for video editing. The. You have all the programs for effects and whatnot. There are a million and one editing programs for PC nowadays.

Yeah, the difference between the two in terms of hard drive size, RAM, processor, are highly favorable towards the PC as it so much cheaper for the same hardware. But take the track pad, for example - it's mastered on the mac, and yet scrolling on a pc trackpad is still weird and difficult. Maybe it's just me because I'm not used to it, but scrolling on a mac is just so natural..

I guess I'm just trying to say that Apple isn't number one because of its pretty logo. Their shit really is superior.

Or, ya' know, get a mouse. :P But considering every PC maker uses a different form of trackpads, that argument is a little invalid. Macs are only superior if you're comparing it to a cheap, run-of-the-mill PC. Now, you could argue that OSX is superior to Windows, but a lot of that has to do with Apple controlling so many aspects and being a little less customizable. And Windows 7 was a big step forward. OSX is very pretty and streamlined, I'll give it that.

Maybe I really just hate Windows 7. XP was great, and 7 was an improvement, but it's just nowhere near the functionality or level that even Leopard is. Majority of all users use Windows 7/XP with OSX making huge strides. If you compare the two though, OSX is levels ahead! If you want SSH on your PC, you need to download it. If you want it on a Mac, oh wait, it's there. And screen shots? You have to download clunky programs like Snagit to take pictures.

I do however think Outlook is 1000x better than Mail, so I'll give PC's that.

In terms of programs like Adobe, or film software, I'd say they are pretty similar on each. Adobe products definitely are on par with each other, as are Microsoft Word or Powerpoint.

To the OP, if you do choose to get a mac I can help you get Office 2011 and every CS6 Adobe product......... :)

Jacob I hope you don't take this as being overly argumentative (I just mean to have a decent discussion) but you did the same thing in my opinion -- Claimed that Apple is superior without giving any meaningful reasons.

Sure, maybe all Apple trackpads work exactly as they are meant and some Windows laptops aren't great (I have had a Dell and Lenovo laptop and both pads worked exactly as the should, but maybe others don't). I don't know enough about trackpads over multiple companies. But assuming it is true, does that justify the price difference? Not even close.

So just saying, I DO believe you pay for the logo and you haven't convinced me otherwise.