BLINK 182 - NEW EP

amnstypls

Madie, you took the words right out of my god damn mouth.

it's so bad it's laughable. and this is coming from someone who would steal her brother's blink cd's when she was 12. And sadly, most of my passwords still have some form of 'tomdelonge' in them.

I was tweeting about this and someone replied to me "it sounds okay if you forget it's blink-182" WHAT? that is the worst excuse I've heard for this thing. Why does everyone have to keep making excuses for neighborhoods and this if it's so great?

Yeah yeah I know they've matured and they're not going to sound the same. But that doesn't mean the new stuff has to suck this bad.

There's no excuse for neighborhoods. None. It sounds like a much lesser bands sophomore album. 

Whoever said "forget that it's Blink-182" is a fucking moron. Or they just didn't think it through. I think it's better to say forget your expectations of Blink-182 and you will enjoy it more. You can't keep expecting them to go back to their old style or continue off anything they did before. Yes, they have matured. And they have become somewhat more experimental in their sound/style and yes, Tom bring in his AVA vibe which I am not fully on-board with. But I think what they made with this EP is something pretty awesome and unique to their catalog.

It's like when you have a great relationship with someone and then that ends on a sour note and you keep trying to find someone else to be happy with but you keep comparing the new people to that one relationship you had and nothing seems good enough. You just need to ditch the expectations and the comparisons and then you will be able to love again. :)

But I think what they made with this EP is something pretty awesome and unique to their catalog.

Please explain how this is unique... Four of the five songs sound like pretty much every other song on Neighbourhoods and the fifth sounds like What Went Wrong. I'm not questioning whether you think it's good or not but to call it unique is kind of strange. I could see labelling it different if you'd never heard the self titled or Neighbourhoods...

I think the release is unique because of the various style that are used. They said themselves and I think it's hard to overlook that all the songs are pretty different. The EP has a good mix of styles in my opinion. I'm not trying to say they reinvented the wheel here. I am saying the release as a whole, in my opinion, is unlike anything else they have released. I know in Neighborhoods Tom mixed in some AVA style and that is probably one of the aspects that brought that album down, but I feel like they integrated that style into Blink's new style a little better on this EP.

Basically, almost nothing can be labeled as truly unique these days so maybe using that specific word was wrong of me. But I think the EP distinguishes itself, especially with Pretty Little Girl and Boxing Day. Overall, I'd say this EP is way better than Neighborhoods. And I thought Self-Titled was amazing, so if you are saying this EP sounds similar to that, which it seems like you are, and I can definitely see that comparison, then I have no clue why you think the EP sucks. Apologies for that massive run-on sentence lol.

(not directed anyone in particular) but I would love for someone to give me a legitimate reason why this EP is good instead of just blindly defending it because it's blink. and if you say vocals, or lyrics... well... no.

(not directed anyone in particular) but I would love for someone to give me a legitimate reason why this EP is good instead of just blindly defending it because it's blink. and if you say vocals, or lyrics... well... no.

I personally just find it catchy and simple. It is still blink-182 that released neighborhoods but is worth a listen if nothing else. It is not a masterpiece or anything but it holds its weight. Lyrics are alright but I think what stands out is just the melodies. A lot of people argue tom and Mark could of sounded better. I see what they mean but I think Tom sounds a bit better this time around and the duel singing makes for a good time. I think if nothing else its hearing Tom and Mark singing together and catchy upbeat choruses despite the style they play which makes the ep worth while.

Well....with that kind of attitude I doubt anyone would want to even try convincing you that the EP is good because you have clearly already made up your mind. Not gonna waste my breath....or finger movements I should say.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Simple as that. Don't look down on the people who do like it and assume that they all like it "because it's blink". Music is about enjoyment and connection. If people enjoy the music and connect to it then more power to them.

What more reason do you need besides it's catchy? What else has ever made blink stand out haha. I think the lyrics could have been a little better, but it still just a catchy EP. I think Mark sounds awesome but Tom could use some work. I think his voice has improved a lot since Neighborhoods. There is no reason to explain that I like the EP other then I just like it. There's no scientific formula for me to give you for you to like it.

Well....with that kind of attitude I doubt anyone would want to even try convincing you that the EP is good because you have clearly already made up your mind. Not gonna waste my breath....or finger movements I should say.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Simple as that. Don't look down on the people who do like it and assume that they all like it "because it's blink". Music is about enjoyment and connection. If people enjoy the music and connect to it then more power to them.

couldn't have said it better myself.

I think this band is cursed. people have been hating on their "new stuff" since S/T. after you put out a record as flawless as TOYPAJ, it's really hard to please people afterward.

having said that, I love this new EP. I don't know why. I think I just get excited to hear mark and Tom sing together.

I do like Neighborhoods better, but when I listen to this EP, it just sounds like their having so much fun recording rhese songs. And Mark did say that this EP was all written in the same room together when Neighborhoods was sent back and forth and they didn't work to much together in the studio at the same time.

What more reason do you need besides it's catchy? What else has ever made blink stand out haha. I think the lyrics could have been a little better, but it still just a catchy EP. I think Mark sounds awesome but Tom could use some work. I think his voice has improved a lot since Neighborhoods. There is no reason to explain that I like the EP other then I just like it. There's no scientific formula for me to give you for you to like it.

• This. I agree, the melodies and the fact that all 5 songs are really catchy plus a bit of improvement in Tom's singing. You can tell there is less AVA here and that's what makes it better too. (imo) Neighborhoods was just some experiment that sounded more like an AVA record featuring Mark and Travis.

My only complaint is Disaster. That is just straight up an Angels and Airwaves song to me haha/

My thoughts exactly. Definitely my least favorite track, but it's still pretty good. I just get the vibe that Tom created 99% of that song on his own and Mark and Travis were just like "Okay we'll go with it", when they should have been like "Save it for the next AVA album man."

People have been hating on their "new stuff" since S/T.

That's because Blink before the S/T is a pop punk band and Blink is now a boring run of the mill electro indie band. Mark and Travis should just join Angels and Airwaves and call it quits on Blink. By all means you can still really enjoy this band if its your thing but to call it Blink-182 just isn't accurate.

And to back all of this up I do still listen to the S/T and Neighbourhoods and I even downloaded this EP, but I have to be in a completely different mood to listen to them. In fact I have them under to separate genres in iTunes.

My music taste isn't better or worse than anyone's here. I agree it is all subjective. But throughout this thread I didn't really see anyone with super legitimate reasons why this EP is great. I've seen people say it's simple, and catchy. But I can hear simple and catchy on any radio station at any time. Or that it sounds 'less AVA-ish' than neighborhoods. Is that really something to be proud of? I mostly get irritated that people get their dicks hard over anything new by blink, just because IT'S BLINK. If this was an small band releasing a first or 2nd EP, i'm pretty sure it would be getting little to no praise.

I'm a huge blink fan. I'm not looking down on anyone who likes this. I just enjoy the discussion on it.

My music taste isn't better or worse than anyone's here. I agree it is all subjective. But throughout this thread I didn't really see anyone with super legitimate reasons why this EP is great. I've seen people say it's simple, and catchy. But I can hear simple and catchy on any radio station at any time. Or that it sounds 'less AVA-ish' than neighborhoods. Is that really something to be proud of? I mostly get irritated that people get their dicks hard over anything new by blink, just because IT'S BLINK. If this was an small band releasing a first or 2nd EP, i'm pretty sure it would be getting little to no praise.

I'm a huge blink fan. I'm not looking down on anyone who likes this. I just enjoy the discussion on it.

how can you acknowledge that it is subjective and then, in the same breath, say that you haven't heard any legitimate reasons why it is good? isn't "I think it sounds cool" a legitimate reason? that's the only reason I've ever used to justify why I like a record. imagine that...

this is the reason why above it was said that it is a waste of time to try to reason with you on this. you've made up your mind that it sucks. obviously you are in the majority on that one too.

and yes, many people are stoked "just because it's Blink." given what they have been through, this is a valid reason too. the possibility of a reunion never seemed realistic, and so any output from them is worth being excited over. I would have been happy to listen to a recording of mark and tom having a farting contest for all I care. these dudes just make me happy.

I've only listened to this a couple times and its ok. I can admit I mainly like it cause its Blink and I'll pretty much be somewhat into anything these guys do. I dont think its terrible but I dont think its great, its not as good as Neighborhoods which I liked a lot but is still my least favorite Blink album. When Yelawolf comes in on that song is sounds kinda weird, doesnt really fit the song.

Hopefully whatever they release next will be better than this but I still enjoy it a bit.

how can you acknowledge that it is subjective and then, in the same breath, say that you haven't heard any legitimate reasons why it is good? isn't "I think it sounds cool" a legitimate reason? that's the only reason I've ever used to justify why I like a record. imagine that...

You have a good point. thank you for being my devil's advocate. I guess I'm just looking for someone to give me a better reason than 'it sounds cool'. I've been listening to this EP for a good part of the day, trying to understand it.

But I guess I just don't, and that's it.

You have a good point. thank you for being my devil's advocate. I guess I'm just looking for someone to give me a better reason than 'it sounds cool'. I've been listening to this EP for a good part of the day, trying to understand it.

But I guess I just don't, and that's it.

I feel you. this just isn't the kind of band that you can really back up with any educated talk. hell, only a third of the band can even play his instrument well (bet it takes you zero seconds to guess who.)

now, if we were discussing a band such as Mars Volta or Tool, I could give you a thousand reasons why they are geniuses, even if you didn't enjoy their music. if I tried to do that with Blink, I'd only be making an ass out of myself.