Audio Envy

ajxd

A decent DAC has been on my wish list for the past year, but I keep spending my money on other shit. I was looking at that Musical Fidelity V-Dac II not too long ago and it's definitely on my radar. Also considering the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, which gets good reviews and offers a lot of versatility in one unit. It's made in China, which is kind of a turnoff, but apparently Grant Fidelity has an exclusive deal and all the units go through strict quality control.

Anyway, there's pretty much no one that beats McIntosh in the looks department. Thankfully they've got the performance to back it up. Dare I ask how much your friend dropped on that? It was just released, right?

A DAC converts the digital signal to an analog one. The quality of this conversion is the primary determinator of the final sound quality. It makes a s much of a difference as a better cart or a better preamp or a better speaker.

But this is a good question, and should be brought up more often in all areas of audio equipment: at what point do upgrades stop helping?

It's all in the ballance. The end result is only as good as the weakest link. Finding out what the weakest link is gets harder the higher you go price-wise. But it's definitely not the best idea for example to look for a new cartridge in the $200 price range, when running the signal through a $250 receiver from best buy.

A DAC converts the digital signal to an analog one. The quality of this conversion is the primary determinator of the final sound quality. It makes a s much of a difference as a better cart or a better preamp or a better speaker.

But this is a good question, and should be brought up more often in all areas of audio equipment: at what point do upgrades stop helping?

It's all in the ballance. The end result is only as good as the weakest link. Finding out what the weakest link is gets harder the higher you go price-wise. But it's definitely not the best idea for example to look for a new cartridge in the $200 price range, when running the signal through a $250 receiver from best buy.

Thanks, I'm still trying to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Why is the analog signal better than digital if both are from the same source? Also, can a DAC be used/help if you're streaming using Apple TV or another server? I've heard that the transmitted information can be bit-perfect and if so is there any problem streaming?

I've got a vintage McIntosh MX 112 preamp/tuner that I scored for $200 because it has a bad FM output. I bought it for the phono preamp (never listen to the radio anyway) and it was worth every penny (which I thought was a steal anyway). I started to look at McIntosh power amps and my hair turned white at the prices. Went Dynaco instead.

I can never find places that do that :(

Sadly that place closed down this summer. They were mainly a high end piano shop that also specialized in high end home audio and repairs. They had Marantz, Denon, McIntosh rooms with dozens of high end speaker combinations at their disposal. I stopped in to get some speaker wire and I got to sit in their rooms or a while and BS with the salesmen.