Man of Steel

3arl

Superman is the worst.  Here's what it probably looked like when they created that dicknuts of a superhero

A: hey, what powers should he have?

B: how about all of them?

A: flight?

B: of course

A: x-ray vision?

B: yup!

A: super strength

B: duh, you boner

A: time travel

B: what, are you new at this? of course

A: gee, he sounds super

B: boom, that's his name, let's go get some tacos

He couldn't fly originally -- Only jump really high.

He couldn't fly originally -- Only jump really high.

Well I'm sure that happened when one of the writer's moms came to visit once.

Mom: so what does Superboy do?

Writer: Mooom, it's Superman, SUPER. MAN. not boy

Mom: that's cute honey, so what does he do?

Writer: he has super strength, x-ray vision, he can jump really high

Mom: Jump really high? Why don't you just make him fly honey?

Writer: Will that make you love me more than Todd finally?  I'm sorry I can't be my brother mom.  Fine, he flies now

Mom: But you know Todd's a doctor now

Writer: Fine, he flies, lets go get some tacos.

I do totally agree that Superman is so powerful that it is hard to make a believable movie or create villians that can rival him.

Marvel has some guys that have technically limitless power:

http://www.zimbio.com/Marvel+Comics/articles/68/Marvel+comic+most+powerful+characters

They just rarely utilize them. What's the point of having a character that can basically just blink and the universe is gone?

Superman probably falls on the side of being too powerful. But that is why (based on the talent attached to this movie) that people are really hoping he can be the subject of a Dark-Knight quality movie. Maybe the smart money is on "No". I'm still hoping.

Well I'm sure that happened when one of the writer's moms came to visit once.

Mom: so what does Superboy do?

Writer: Mooom, it's Superman, SUPER. MAN. not boy

Mom: that's cute honey, so what does he do?

Writer: he has super strength, x-ray vision, he can jump really high

Mom: Jump really high? Why don't you just make him fly honey?

Writer: Will that make you love me more than Todd finally?  I'm sorry I can't be my brother mom.  Fine, he flies now

Mom: But you know Todd's a doctor now

Writer: Fine, he flies, lets go get some tacos.

I know you are joking around but you should read this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Adventures_of_Kavalier_%26_Clay

It won the pulitzer and is set around 2 young guys in the 30s who create a superhero comic. Excellent book.

I know you are joking around but you should read this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Adventures_of_Kavalier_%26_Clay

It won the pulitzer and is set around 2 young guys in the 30s who create a superhero comic. Excellent book.

That's now on my "to read" list!  Thanks for the heads up buddy!

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the theater....fantastic flick! It really had the Christopher Nolan overtone to it. It's doing really well in the numbers too.

The first 20 minutes or so on Kyrpton was very well done. It got me excited for the next Nolan movie, Interstellar.

And no JLA yet. Bummed about that, but It's inevitably going to happen.

I loved it. Even though I've been following it since it was announced, I still didn't expect the awesomeness that was Russel Crowe. It's too bad, because critics are railing it something fierce. It's not perfect, but damn was it great to participate with other people watching it.

DISClAIMER

If you go into it thinking it's going to be like donner's version, you'll be disappointed.

I really really liked it. There were a few things that bugged me though.

- Superman has crooked teeth? WTF!

- General Zod uses several time references that don't make sense for an alien to use. He gives the people of Earth 24 hours to turn Superman over and tells him that they've been searching for him for 33 years. Just doesn't make sense for him to speak like that.

- I feel like the movie could've benefited from being about 30 minutes longer. Every scene cut so quick to the next one that the character relationships they were trying to show didn't have the proper time to develop. Historically though, Zack Snyder has always had transitions that I thought were too quick.

Also, the fact that this is getting worse reviews than Superman Returns did blows my mind. That movie was bad and the most stereotypical Superman story possible. 57% on Rotten Tomatoes is absurd. Any critic who gave Returns a positive review and this a negative one should lose their job.

Didn't like how jonathon died. 1) He ran into a massive tornado for a dog and 2) Clark should have gone. I understand the point they were going for (better for Jon to die than Clark to be revealed to the public) but it seemed like a ridiculously contrived way of getting there.

Agree that Krypton scenes were pretty cool but it almost felt like avatar with the flying monsters.

Jor El helping Lana on Zod's ship was awesome.

The action / feel of the fighting was stellar.

It would have been better if zod had just gone down with the ship. It was a contrived final battle that they had no way of ending well. After an hour and a half of kryptonians fighting very intensely with no one able to gain an advantage, NOW Clark can break his neck?

You guys seriously have better critiques then most of the "reviews" had. I feel like they wanted to hate it because of Snyder.

The only thing I can come up with for the outcome of the last battle, or how superman had the advantage in ALLof them, was because he's been on earth for longer, absorbing the sun and knowing how to control his powers better. I don't know though.

average score on RT is a 6.3/10 which is pretty much middle of the road marvel (for comparison). for example iron man 2 got a 73% fresh and a 6.5/10. even the incredible hulk got a 67% fresh with a 6.2/10 rating. i guess this isn't the "aw shucks" donner superman that they wanted.

i'm going to see it in IMAX this afternoon. i've been excited for this since seeing the teasers w/ TDKR.

i don't really understand the shit that zack snyder gets--i really enjoyed dawn of the dead, 300, and watchmen. LOtG and suckerpunch were alright too.

Really liked this film.

I think Henry Cavill so was good as Superman. Definitely not expecting that much Russell Crowe but I'm glad there was because he was terrific too. The whole cast overall were great.

Loved the humanity aspect they brought to Supermans role.

I know a lot of people had a problem with the amount of destruction that occurred, but when you think about it, super human beings fighting each other in a downtown, how could there not be that much destruction. 

Really solid film. I know Warner Brothers wanted to see how this film would do before starting other films that would lead to the Justice League, so I hope this kills at the box office so they can start creating new films for other characters.

I didn't like it. 

To me the story itself was weak and the characters didn't interact very well. The script was bad, full of dumb lines, and too many Darth Vader "noooooooooo" scenes. I can kind of understand the bad lines, because comic books usually do have cheesy lines, but some of them I was justing thinking "wow thats what you came up with?" The jerky camera (especially in the first scene) was driving me insane. I thought the fight scenes were okay but went on way too long. I expect it for a super hero movie, but it was very boring. Finally, there were a few scenes that I didn't completely understand why there was added or done they way were, but I don't wanna get it too into it with out having a bunch of spoilers. Honestly, I am hoping this was just to set the characters for a sequel, but who knows.

Overall, I think if you're very into superman check it out, but if not, wait for redbox.

Disclaimer one: I am not into action movies in the first place, but my girlfriend asked me to go with her.

Disclaimer two : Superman is my least favorite hero.

Didn't like how jonathon died. 1) He ran into a massive tornado for a dog and 2) Clark should have gone. I understand the point they were going for (better for Jon to die than Clark to be revealed to the public) but it seemed like a ridiculously contrived way of getting there.

Agree that Krypton scenes were pretty cool but it almost felt like avatar with the flying monsters.

It would have been better if zod had just gone down with the ship. It was a contrived final battle that they had no way of ending well. After an hour and a half of kryptonians fighting very intensely with no one able to gain an advantage, NOW Clark can break his neck?

I read Jonathon died and stopped...thanks.

I read Jonathon died and stopped...thanks.

Upset about spoilers? The movie is out. Not like I read a novel and gave the plot away before it aired. I thought that it was ok to have things out in the open once a show aired or a movie was released. That's why I spoilered a comment in "recently viewing" (since the title isn't clear about what is in there) but not in this thread.

But if its a problem or I'm not understanding, I'll do more spoiler tagging going forward. Not trying to ruin anyone's movie experience.

That is true, but that doesn't mean I can't tell if I a movie is good or not.

I guess I just picked up on a weak script and stuff because I like movies with more words and less explosions. 

Did you like any of the previous Superman movies going back to the Reeve ones? I thought this blew everyone before them away.

But part of that is just that the bar is low. So hard to write a story with. Anyone who is powerful enough to take on Superman is going to be so powerful that its hard to kill him. Same thing as the Hulk in the Marvel universe. Just kinda is what it is. Not going to get a masterpiece like the dark knight from this franchise (a least, I doubt it). If this movie had preceded those instead of followed them, I wonder if it might have been liked at least a little more.

I agree. I really felt like Jonathan's death was kind of stupid and it really pissed me off. Like, I understand why, but his death could have even been easily avoided without Clark revealing his powers. Also, the last battle with Zod took way too long. I feel like it could have been taken care of in a much better way.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie despite some fight scenes taking too long and the cheesy comic book lines (which I actually really enjoyed). I think I will be going to see it again with my brother tonight.

I don't think you could have done this movie without the Jor El storyline (which I thought was excellent and Crowe was one of the best parts of the movie). Maybe they could have very lightly touched on Jonathon but saved a deep dive into that back story for the next movie. Kinda like rather than telling two half father-son stories tell one really good one.