Recently Viewing

It's definitely fucked up. But I felt as if people overhyped the "fucked-upness," if that makes sense. Then again, maybe I'm the one that's fucked up for thinking that? I don't know.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Apart from maybe two or three scenes, I didn't think it was as messed up as others said. I don't suppose you've seen The Angel's Melancholy, have you?

Man of Steel = 3.5/5

Just got back. I'd go up to a 4. Hands down, the best superman movie ever made. He's such a hard character to write believable stories for. My buddy was pretty upset with the ending and I can't really blame him:

zod can basically survive a skyscraper falling on him and all the punches that Clark hits him with while flying at full power, but somehow Clark can snap his neck when he wants to?

Just got back. I'd go up to a 4. Hands down, the best superman movie ever made. He's such a hard character to write believable stories for. My buddy was pretty upset with the ending and I can't really blame him:

zod can basically survive a skyscraper falling on him and all the punches that Clark hits him with while flying at full power, but somehow Clark can snap his neck when he wants to?

I agree with it being the best Superman film. 

Definitely agree with Superman being a hard character to write. It's too easy giving him that Americana/Jesus Christ essence to him which I cannot stand.

The girlfriend and I watched 3 amazing films tonight:

American Mary

Stoker

The Imposter

Check out American Mary if you're into a movie with some good gore and the theme of surgery/body modification.  One of the best I've seen in that aspect.

Stoker was absolutely phenomenal.  One of the best films I've seen in a long time, possibly ever.  The visuals were incredible and everyone played their parts sooo well.  I still can't stop thinking about it and it's been hours since it's ended.

The Imposter is a really good documentary about a boy that goes missing and he is randomly found 3 years later in Spain.  I won't say much else about it though because I feel the less you know going into it, the better.  It's on Netflix Instant right now so you have no excuse not to check it out!

The girlfriend and I watched 3 amazing films tonight:

American Mary

Stoker

The Imposter

Check out American Mary if you're into a movie with some good gore and the theme of surgery/body modification.  One of the best I've seen in that aspect.

Stoker was absolutely phenomenal.  One of the best films I've seen in a long time, possibly ever.  The visuals were incredible and everyone played their parts sooo well.  I still can't stop thinking about it and it's been hours since it's ended.

The Imposter is a really good documentary about a boy that goes missing and he is randomly found 3 years later in Spain.  I won't say much else about it though because I feel the less you know going into it, the better.  It's on Netflix Instant right now so you have no excuse not to check it out!

Appreciate you bringing new movies into the fold and I might check some of these out. It's cool you thought so highly of these. But they are all in the 6-7 range on IMDB, with the Imposter pulling the highest score (7.5).  This usually translates in words to "good, not great" but there are obviously exceptions.

Just wanted to be the voice of reason for a little bit. When I read these reviews I was expecting best picture type scores (8.4+). It's cool you enjoyed them so much. I really liked oldboy (director of stoker, if anyone doesn't know) but I still need to see the others in the revenge trilogy. They are in my queue.

Appreciate you bringing new movies into the fold and I might check some of these out. It's cool you thought so highly of these. But they are all in the 6-7 range on IMDB, with the Imposter pulling the highest score (7.5). This usually translates in words to "good, not great" but there are obviously exceptions.

Just wanted to be the voice of reason for a little bit. When I read these reviews I was expecting best picture type scores (8.4+). It's cool you enjoyed them so much. I really liked oldboy (director of stoker, if anyone doesn't know) but I still need to see the others in the revenge trilogy. They are in my queue.

Well from what I've learned, it's pretty rare for a horror film to get rated higher than a 7.5 on IMDB. They usually seem to range between 5.5 and 7.5. Anything over a 7.0 is usually really damn good for a horror film. But I wouldn't consider Stoker a horror film by any means. It's mostly a thriller, so if you go in with that in mind you'll be presently surprised.

But yeah, Oldboy will probably always be Chan-wook Park's masterpiece, but this gives it a run for the money in my opinion.

Sympathy for Mr. vengeance is not the easiest movie in the world to follow. It's subtitled but I think it helps to be able to read some of the stuff they write on notes or type. Not all translated.

Still following the movie, just sometimes have to think -- how did they get from that last scene to here?

Sympathy for Mr. vengeance is not the easiest movie in the world to follow. It's subtitled but I think it helps to be able to read some of the stuff they write on notes or type. Not all translated.

Still following the movie, just sometimes have to think -- how did they get from that last scene to here?

I really need to give this another watch.  I watched it a looong time ago and actually found myself pretty bored.  Then again, it was the last movie of a movie marathon day with my cousin and friend.  I'm sure if I watch it fresh/not half asleep I'll enjoy it more.