PO: ASIWYFA // All Hail Bright Futures

Derek™

Where in the world did this come from?  I had no idea these guys had material that was far-along enough to release a new album so soon.  But apparently it's slated for a March release.  I know a few people are into this band, based off some threads I've seen.  And if you're not, you should be.  As far as instrumental post-rock / math-rock groups go, this band has yet to do anything less than exemplary in my books.

New single can be streamed http://www.ryansrockshow.com/php2/news/12646-and-so-i-watch-you-from-afar-all-hail-bright-futures-album-release-details-new-song-debuts.html'>here.

Pre-order http://hellomerch.com/sh/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3620&category_id=163&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2'>here.  Looks like it's just on standard black vinyl, with a bundle option to nab a shirt, poster, and some magnets.

The last few releases have been through the now-defunct Richter Collective label.  Both the S/T and Gangs sold out in the blink of an eye, on vinyl.  Out of good faith and fear of history repeating itself, I went ahead and pre-ordered.  But if Sargent House's typical vinyl releases are any indicator, they should be around for a good, long while.

Also.  That album art.  No idea how I feel about it... but all I can say is wow.

ASIWYFA-All-Hail-Bright-Futures-Cover-e1

Any instrumental buffs should definitely check this band out, if they haven't already.  I caught them opening for Russian Circles earlier this summer, and they absolutely destroyed.  Word on the street is that they're planning a U.S. headline tour - to promote the new album, I'm sure - and I really couldn't be more eager to get in on it.

Honestly, pretty much everything they've done. Which is more or less two albums and an EP, but man, do I love them thoroughly. 2011's Gangs is a great start. I'd embed a studio performance or two - as there's a good few on YouTube - but I'm on my phone at the moment.

From there, their debut album (self titled) is an excellent step, as is the EP (Letters) which falls between the two. Maybe one of my favorite EPs of all time.

Also, Sargent House is slated to kill 2013. New Deafheaven, Tera Melos, Adebisi Shank, and now ASIWYFA. I think I could possibly be a sliver more excited if there was news of a new Russian Circles release, but I'm realistically content at this point.

Don't forget new This Town Needs Guns and once or twice Cathy from SH mentioned that Zechs Marquise was working on a mixtape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_QEOGs37w&feature=share&list=PLD850F8D7BABE8F51

Here they are four, and ,,,, the they were three....now 4 again?. Haven't gotten to see them live yet, but one day. 

Derek, when they opened for Russian Circles, did they have a 2nd guitarist...

This video is way over-tinkered with...but you HAVE TO WATCH THE LAST 25 seconds; the drummer is a flippin' machine gun! Sick :)

• 5 weeks later...

Derek, when they opened for Russian Circles, did they have a 2nd guitarist...

They certainly did.  And he seemed to be on the ball.

Not sure if you guys are aware, but this leaked almost a week ago.  And it's pretty damn good.  Incredibly optimistic, with a bigger emphasis on vocals than ever before.  (And they're stupidly infectious.  I've had A!  M, B!  U!  L, A, N!  C!  E! periodically stuck in my head for a few days now.)  I don't know where I'd rank it in their discography quite yet, but I will say that I have full intentions of keeping my bundle pre-order.  That's for sure.

@ bigbruise: nice. Please do. They've covered a decent spectrum of sound over their last few albums.

@ eskimoswim: their two albums prior were definitely heavier. I like the variety they've achieved with this record, but I'm really hoping their next album caters towards their heavier and more aggressive sound. I have no problem with this being the band's "feel good" album... but they need to keep evolving and mastering sounds, in my opinion.

I listened to this again - but with headphones - at work last night. My fourth play; it's definitely a grower. The closer fizzles out a bit, but the middle of the record sounds a lot better than I initially found it to be. And I think you're right; a few songs may have a tropical-sounding instrument here and there, but the second Stay Golden (I think?) has the chirping birds, etc. Pretty different.

Man, so I've given this probably about 10 listens already, I just keep hitting repeat. I usually don't go for instrumental music that often. But occasionally will enjoy some Caspian or RC. This is tight though, I'm interested to listen to Gangs (loading on my phone now) since you guys say their previous work is a little harder. This track, to me at least, is poppy and fun as hell.