FS: Brand New, Thrice, DCFC, Limbeck, TBS and more

dejanew

Allow me to interject on this note.  Do you know why VC gets the reputation you speak of?  It's because it acts as a haven for collectors who want to obtain or sell records, without getting scalped by eBay prices and fees.  Your records have two arbitrary values -- one here at Vinyl Collective, and one on eBay.  I know you're new here, so you'll likely hear the following bit of advice quite often, if you haven't already.  It is a golden rule that thwarts the inane "Don't like the price?  Don't buy it" mentality that so many naïve sellers seem to embrace.  It is my privilege to be the first person to inform you...

If you want eBay prices, list it on eBay.

It's really that simple.  Here at VC, personal transactions don't cost you 10% of your item's value, as they do on eBay auctions.  There is no reserve.  There is no shill bidding.  There is no bullshit.  That's what makes the trade aspect of this community so "tight and friendly".  Granted, there are obviously bad apples in every barrel of everything, ever, I can say that 100% of my VC purchases and sales have involved genuine dudes with fair prices.

A few months back I decided to sell off some variants and duplicates of records I had.  I Popsike'd them beforehand.  I checked current listings on eBay.  Simply put, I did my homework.  And after determining their value, I still made a hell of a deal on most everything.  I sold a few $12 records for $25, even though I could have easily fetched $50 or $60.  Why?  Because it felt good to make a slight profit on my end, naturally, but it was also nice seeing pieces of my collection go to fellow enthusiasts of the medium.  People who, I'm fairly confident, are more likely to enjoy the records than flip them.

Of course, I've also offered up a few gems that received significantly low offers here at VC.  Not lowball offers, necessarily: just very realistic prices on records that fetch unrealistic amounts of money.  There's a fine line between being a good guy who helps out the community, and being oblivious to how much a record is worth.

A little over a month ago I sold a copy of Deja Entendu on eBay.  eBay was my first choice, since the majority of VC members suspect and hope that the record will be repressed next year.  I knew the album's going rates - $200 to $400 on the 'Bay - but I'll be damned if I was going to create a thread asking for that much.  That's just not how it works, you know?  Being that I loved that album, and really needed the funds, I refused to sell myself short.  I needed maximum profit at the time.  And if someone is willing to pay you $400 for an LP, it's not a crime to accept said offer.  But to outright ask for it defeats the purpose of our closely knit community.  If the record didn't mean as much as it did to me, and if the cash wasn't so necessary at the time being, I would have gladly put it in a sale thread here at VC, looking to fetch $120 or so.  That is realistic.  That is a price someone is willing to pay, as it's far below eBay premium.  And that is what VC is about.

I know this post is reading pretty preachy at this point.  And I'm okay with that.  But what you need to become aware of - should you choose to stay around the community for a while - is the value of your records, and how they apply to your audience or buyers.  (That's us.)  You're not a selfish prick for wanting $100+ for a first press VheissuClearly there are people (still) willing to throw that much money down for one.  But you're not going to find them here.  Exorbitant prices, percentage cuts, and overpriced shipping belongs on eBay.  That's where you'll get the most bang for your buck, and I'd recommend saving your time and breath by listing extravagant BINs there.  But you've waddled your way into VC territory.  And these here parts are filled with friendly faces, mutually-pleasing prices, honest shipping rates, and peace of mind.  I think you'll come to like it if you give it a chance.

I almost felt a tear drop. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Also, you're probably receiving flack from us 1K+ members because we've been around the block a few times, and see these types of threads constantly.  Brand new members looking to make big bucks, with zero reputation.  I hate to sound pretentious, but you almost have to earn the right to sell the big fish around here.  Few people are going to Paypal you hundreds of dollars with no background information on you.  Members who make a few sales and establish a persona on the boards - outside of just the sale threads - are much more likely to receive appealing offers than new-jacks who strut in with a bookmark folder full of Popsike links.

this is what i was waiting for you to cover in your first big post.

Allow me to interject on this note.  Do you know why VC gets the reputation you speak of?  It's because it acts as a haven for collectors who want to obtain or sell records, without getting scalped by eBay prices and fees.  Your records have two arbitrary values -- one here at Vinyl Collective, and one on eBay.  I know you're new here, so you'll likely hear the following bit of advice quite often, if you haven't already.  It is a golden rule that thwarts the inane "Don't like the price?  Don't buy it" mentality that so many naïve sellers seem to embrace.  It is my privilege to be the first person to inform you...

It's really that simple.  Here at VC, personal transactions don't cost you 10% of your item's value, as they do on eBay auctions.  There is no reserve.  There is no shill bidding.  There is no bullshit.  That's what makes the trade aspect of this community so "tight and friendly".  Granted, there are obviously bad apples in every barrel of everything, ever, I can say that 100% of my VC purchases and sales have involved genuine dudes with fair prices.

A few months back I decided to sell off some variants and duplicates of records I had.  I Popsike'd them beforehand.  I checked current listings on eBay.  Simply put, I did my homework.  And after determining their value, I still made a hell of a deal on most everything.  I sold a few $12 records for $25, even though I could have easily fetched $50 or $60.  Why?  Because it felt good to make a slight profit on my end, naturally, but it was also nice seeing pieces of my collection go to fellow enthusiasts of the medium.  People who, I'm fairly confident, are more likely to enjoy the records than flip them.

Of course, I've also offered up a few gems that received significantly low offers here at VC.  Not lowball offers, necessarily: just very realistic prices on records that fetch unrealistic amounts of money.  There's a fine line between being a good guy who helps out the community, and being oblivious to how much a record is worth.

A little over a month ago I sold a copy of Deja Entendu on eBay.  eBay was my first choice, since the majority of VC members suspect and hope that the record will be repressed next year.  I knew the album's going rates - $200 to $400 on the 'Bay - but I'll be damned if I was going to create a thread asking for that much.  That's just not how it works, you know?  Being that I loved that album, and really needed the funds, I refused to sell myself short.  I needed maximum profit at the time.  And if someone is willing to pay you $400 for an LP, it's not a crime to accept said offer.  But to outright ask for it defeats the purpose of our closely knit community.  If the record didn't mean as much as it did to me, and if the cash wasn't so necessary at the time being, I would have gladly put it in a sale thread here at VC, looking to fetch $120 or so.  That is realistic.  That is a price someone is willing to pay, as it's far below eBay premium.  And that is what VC is about.

I know this post is reading pretty preachy at this point.  And I'm okay with that.  But what you need to become aware of - should you choose to stay around the community for a while - is the value of your records, and how they apply to your audience or buyers.  (That's us.)  You're not a selfish prick for wanting $100+ for a first press VheissuClearly there are people (still) willing to throw that much money down for one.  But you're not going to find them here.  Exorbitant prices, percentage cuts, and overpriced shipping belongs on eBay.  That's where you'll get the most bang for your buck, and I'd recommend saving your time and breath by listing extravagant BINs there.  But you've waddled your way into VC territory.  And these here parts are filled with friendly faces, mutually-pleasing prices, honest shipping rates, and peace of mind.  I think you'll come to like it if you give it a chance.

My only other bit of advice is to be careful with selling items that you personally paid a lot for.  For a number of reasons, really, but primarily because the value you placed on that purchase is probably going to differ vastly from what everyone else is willing to pay.  Especially if time has passed, and various factors have come into play.  [such as a repress, in the case of your Vheissu.]  I've purchased a handful of records "in my day" that have broken triple digits... but for me, personally, they hold such sentimental value that the cost was justified for my wallet.  And with that sentimental value comes the complete lack of desire to sell them.  But when and if the time came, and assuming I was really desperate for the funds, there's no way I'd expect to make a profit back on all of them.  Hell, I'd be lucky if I could break even on a few of them.  If you're seeking maximum profit, and trying to make back the surplus amount of money you spent on the record to begin with, you should probably just list in on eBay.  Either in an auction with a reserve, or as a bloated BIN if you've got the patience.  Someone will bite.  I understand that it's frustrating to lose money on a record that you have to sell... but it does happen.  But trying to rectify that price difference in communities like VC isn't the solution to seek.  Just food for thought.

Also, you're probably receiving flack from us 1K+ members because we've been around the block a few times, and see these types of threads constantly.  Brand new members looking to make big bucks, with zero reputation.  I hate to sound pretentious, but you almost have to earn the right to sell the big fish around here.  Few people are going to Paypal you hundreds of dollars with no background information on you.  Members who make a few sales and establish a persona on the boards - outside of just the sale threads - are much more likely to receive appealing offers than new-jacks who strut in with a bookmark folder full of Popsike links.

wethot.gif

Can this be in the section "terms and conditions" when you sign up for this site so that you have to at least look at it before signing up?

Well done sir!

One thing that I think Dereck missed in his amazing post is price gouging. Yes Thrice and Brand New go for a lot of money, that doesnt mean everything you have goes for a lot of money. Wanting to get 100 dollars for a Brand New full length isnt unreasonable but marking up every album and 7" you are selling to the top price it went on popsike and ebay is just rude and will get you a lot of flak. Seeing it once or twice on popsike for that price doesnt mean it is the going rate, it means one person overpayed for it. When you see it sold for that price numerous times is when you start to see the real value of the record. Everything else I would say was summed up in much better words by Dereck. Listen to him and you will do just fine here.

Another thing I would add and I am not saying you are doing this but is always a good thing to do before listing a sale is to check to see if it is still available elsewhere via interpunk, amazon, label, band, etc. If you can still find it for sale online we will be able to as well and marking the price up over that price is going to get you flak too. That doesnt mean you cant sell or trade it, just keep it under the retail price by a few bucks.

after going back to the first page, you were never really bashed. like, at all.

yeah, i left a pretty sarcastic comment... but it's what everyone was thinking, and it was really far from defamatory.

the following posts were people responding to individual items and others agreeing with me.

i'm glad that between derek's involvement, and your ability to be reasonable that we've seemed to move on.

Unfortunately you're a minority looking to buy any copy of that record for under $90 on wax. If you only like 3 songs, sorry to say but you're never going to find it for that cheap in your lifetime. Go buy it on iTunes or torrent it if you're going to be a cheap ass.

Pretty sure this was sarcasm.