Homemade Sodas / Root Beer

I've been a big root beer fan for a long time and it was recently suggested to my by my step-dad that I should try making my own. For Christmas I got a book about homemade sodas, so I'm about to really get into this.

My first attempt at a syrup was a Chai Tea based syrup for a Chai Fizz drink that actually turned out pretty well. Today I went looking for some various roots to attempt a root beer syrup but had no luck, I guess I need to hit up a specialty homebrew store or just order some online.

Anyone else dabble in this?

A buddy of mine brews beer constantly, recently he did Rootbeer and it was effing excellent! I've never had home brewed Rootbeer but I really enjoyed it. I use a local micro brewery's Rootbeer to flavor my pulled pork when I cook with my crock pot, but theirs is mass produced, so I wouldn't exactly call it home brew.

I have a soda stream and was just thinking today about making my own syrups for it. Is making your own root bear basically just making a syrup to add to carbonated water?

There are a couple ways to go about it. That is the easiest, but you can also actually carbonate it using yeast and letting it sit for a week or so. I think eventually I'll try that out, but just starting, it seems very simple to just use carbonated water.

My wife bought me a Home Root Beer Kit for Christmas. We haven't tried it yet but you could find it here: http://www.mrrootbeer.com/

I do eventually want to try to make my own. As for my favorites I really enjoy Virgil's, Natural Brew, and Boylan's Natural Version. Awesome stuff.

I've seen this kit before, I might pick one up sometime.

For my birthday back in October my mom bought me a variety pack of 30 different root beers, I've probably had about 10 of them so far. I've learned that I prefer a rich, smooth, bold root beer and less so the really crisp variety. Virgils, Henry Weinhard, and Dang! Butterscotch Root Beer are my current favorites.

My wife bought me a Home Root Beer Kit for Christmas. We haven't tried it yet but you could find it here: http://www.mrrootbeer.com/

I do eventually want to try to make my own. As for my favorites I really enjoy Virgil's, Natural Brew, and Boylan's Natural Version. Awesome stuff.

I've used the mr beer version of that kit, turned out pretty good

I've seen this kit before, I might pick one up sometime.

For my birthday back in October my mom bought me a variety pack of 30 different root beers, I've probably had about 10 of them so far. I've learned that I prefer a rich, smooth, bold root beer and less so the really crisp variety. Virgils, Henry Weinhard, and Dang! Butterscotch Root Beer are my current favorites.

where the hell did she get a 30 pack sams ? can's i'm assuming

where the hell did she get a 30 pack sams ? can's i'm assuming

Sorry, it was a 24 pack, not 30. She ordered it online, glass bottles. It wasn't cheap, I'm assuming because of the shipping. http://www.beveragesdirect.com/Ultimate-Root-Beer-Sampler.aspx

It was a really awesome surprise as a present!

Sorry, it was a 24 pack, not 30. She ordered it online, glass bottles. It wasn't cheap, I'm assuming because of the shipping. http://www.beveragesdirect.com/Ultimate-Root-Beer-Sampler.aspx

It was a really awesome surprise as a present!

Faygo makes Root Beer? :blink:

Also Hank's is awesome as well. I love the idea of this!

First attempt at Cream Soda tonight. This was incredibly easy, the syrup is sugar, water and a sliced vanilla bean. Add that to some club soda and I have a pretty tasty Cream Soda.

a3b6ad3c57a311e2a2e222000a9e48a3_7.jpg

dffefbbe57a311e2ac9b22000a1fb864_7.jpg

Sliced vanilla bean holy shit that looks amazing. I don't drink any other pop, but i do love cream soda. Red cream soda is good as well.

Not sure how I feel about the vanilla bean seed being in the final syrup. It taste just fine, I just don't like floaters in my drink. I don't know that it would even be possible to strain them out of the syrup with the seed being so fine and the syrup being so thick. Other than that, this is great.

Sort of on topic: My dude Vince started doing some home brewed ales and wines and such... mannnnnn. Home brew is where it's at, but you have to know what you're doing. 

I've gotten really into home "brewing" (loosely using this word because I don't really do much outside of putting it all together) coffee using an AeroPress. Wild how much of a flavor difference that freshly roasted beans/grounds and water that isn't boiling (see: Starbucks/Dunkin/et al) makes.