What is Your Top 5 Favorite Bands

I used to go to a Strawberries in Danbury, CT before the digital age destroyed every brick and mortar music retailer.  This, trash (american style) and volt in Danbury are the only reason I was able to find so much music as a kid.

I remember buying Starting Line/Copeland tickets at Strawberries for my gf's birthday. Okay, so it's probably for the best that they're gone.

I can only think of three I'd consider all-time-favorites.

Bad Astronaut - Saw Mark Hoppus wearing their band shirt on something in the early 2000's, Yahoo!'d em', and learned that Joey Cape was the singer. Acrophobe is a perfect album.

Saves The Day - A big kid in high school told me about them.

The Donots - Heard them on a random internet radio station in the early 2000's via MusicMatch Jukebox when Pocket Rock first came out. Sucks I have to import everything they put out, but it's always worth the cost.

Top five bands in bathroommonkey's world.

no order.

Less Than Jake.  It must have been 96 or 97, I heard about them.  A few weeks later I was at a LTJ show in a crappy coffee house in St Pete. I was in love.  Up until In With the Out Crowd I waited with bated breath for new Less Than Jake albums.  To this day I've seen them live more than any other band, somewhere around 25ish times.

Ben Folds Five/Ben Fold solo.  Sometime in high school I finally caved and gave them a chance.  What can I say, I love Ben's lyrics.  The first three BFF albums and Rockin' the Suburbs are darn near perfect.

Rancid.  Pretty sure they were my "first punk band".  Let's Go was my first Rancid album, already in love, then Out Come the Wolves, at that point I was a lifer.

How Water Music/all side projects.  My biggest high school regret was not seeing HWM as much as I saw LTJ.  By the time I was in college I finally began to understand the awesomeness of Hot Water.  I had a couple CD's of theirs but when I saw the on the Leatherface, HWM, Small Brown Bike tour, I was forever hooked.

Bright Eyes/all Connor projects.  I don't think I started listening to Bright Eyes until 2001ish.  It took a lot to break though my idea that indie stuff was worth listening too, but when I did I realized I was being close minded when it came to music.  Now I love Bright Eyes and am open to giving any kind of music a chance.

Honorable mention.

Fugazi - I guy in jr high gave me In on the Kill Taker.  WOW

Green Day - come on Longview was so great as a middle school kid.

Beatles/Stones/Dylan - classic stuff is great but has never obsessed me.

Pearl Jam - there was about ten years where I was obsessed with them 98 -08.  i've fallen out of love with them.

Alkaline Trio/Lawrence Arms - I love most of what those guys have made.  I'm a whore for Chicago and Gainsville music.

What makes a band a favorite for me ain't studio releases. It's how they got me thru the times, ya digg? How they make me feel. If you feel they aren't a favorite until their 3rd studio release, to me that's just cray. But I guess they can become a favorite after growing with them thru their progress. I dunno. But in all honesty, I never have to trust or doubt the next album my favorite band puts out.

Am I the only person that makes rules for what a band must do to be a favorite?  Like, a band is not a favorite of mine until they have 3 studio albums out, less than that and I dont know if they can continually be good and trusted to put out good stuff.

built to spill is high on my list because i could play their entire discography start to finish, and never consider skipping a track. same goes for brand new, kevin devine, miniature tigers, minus the bear.

built to spill is high on my list because i could play their entire discography start to finish, and never consider skipping a track. same goes for brand new, kevin devine, miniature tigers, minus the bear.

I agree. I could do without the They Got Away 12", but other than that, I love everything Doug has ever released. Can't wait to see them in Portland in February, then driving up to Pullman, WA to see them again.