Okay, VC: Ask me (almost) anything about my job.

Okay, the A Change Of Pace story.

I reviewed their first album for AP way back in 2005. Here it is:

Dear A Change Of Pace: You're all young—the oldest, just barely out of high school. You all have long lives ahead of you. So, please, listen to me: break up. Stop being a band. Now. Your music is as derivative and cookie-cutter as bands come. The opening riff to your first shamble of a song, "Loose Lips Sink Ships," is an exact rip of Thursday's "Cross Out The Eyes"—expect a call from their copyright lawyers. My advice to you, sirs? Go to college. Get jobs. Get married, have kids, go golfing on the weekends, retire to Florida when you're 70. But for the love of all that is holy and decent, don't inflict this tripe on the world. It's music like this that makes the terrorists want to take away our freedom.

I gave it a 1 out of 5, only because we didn't give zeroes. It is really a terrible album.

So after that review comes out, I start getting harassed by a few random people on AOL Instant Messenger, all of whom I assumed were in some way connected with the ACOP camp. It wasn't that big of a deal, only because they were as bad at insults as they were at writing songs. Additionally, their drummer also sent me a message (either via email or MySpace, can't remember) that literally just said, "Why do you hate us?" I remember laughing heartily at that.

Fast-forward a few months to Warped Tour 2005. I was at the Cleveland date, working the AP booth and taking photos for altpress.com. When I came back to the booth after shooting HorrorPops or somebody, a fellow worker told me that some people came by the booth asking if I was there. Being the Warped Tour, I figured it was someone I knew—you never know who might be out on Warped on any given summer, between bands, techs, merch people, etc. So I hung around the booth for a little bit, and a few minutes later, these two guys come walking by the booth with a megaphone and a sign (that is obscured from my vision by our tent). Whatever they're saying is muffled, but I definitely make out my name, so I walk out of the booth to see what is going on. When they see that, these two dudes just start booking it as fast as they can go from our tent. I run after them and eventually catch up with them at a bottleneck in the crowd. They turn around, and I look up at the sign—it says, "A CHANGE OF PACE — 6:20 @ SMARTPUNK STAGE."

I look at them and say, "Lemme guess: You're [insert AIM screennames here]."

They look at me and snort and say, "Huh-huh, yeah."

Then we just sort of stand there for 10 seconds or so, me waiting for the synapses in their brains to fire as to at least continue the conversation. When that doesn't happen, I say, "So, are we done here? Can I go back to work?"

As I turn around to walk away, one of them says, "Huh-huh, yeah, why don't you go find a treadmill on the way back!"

(Get it? Because I'm overweight.)

I snap back around and say, "That's funny! Your band still sucks," and walk away. The end.

I've always wondered about this...

Is it hard to give a shitty review to good dudes?

Because I know a lot of good dudes in bands that I would NOT want to review. Or hear. Or see.

And sometimes you have to give glowing reviews to people who are total dickwads otherwise.

The beauty of being the editor in charge of the reviews section is I can assign those dubious releases to other writers. But I've definitely had people in bands who I considered friends (or at the very least, acquaintances) sever ties with me and blow me off because of something I may have written. Tom Gabel is the most obvious answer, but there are a number of other instances, too. On the flipside, though, I think many musicians appreciate honest criticism, even if it might get under their skin. When I reviewed the last Taking Back Sunday album, I mentioned how one of the songs sounded like a half-baked leftover from the Louder Now sessions and should've been cut from the record, and the next time I ran into Eddie Reyes at a show (he lives in the area so I bump into him frequently), he told me that I was right about that song—it was a leftover from that record. It was a nice moment of validation.

regarding the tom gabel thing, I remember reading about that.

don't know scotts side of it, but some of it happened on twitter.

Edit: found the interview

Q:

So for the past couple of weeks you've been Twitter fighting with various editors of Alternative Press magazine. What is going on there?

TOM: [Laughs] Uhm, I don't know. I've got to be honest, I'm not a fan of that magazine. I think the people who work there are kind of a prime example, not everybody, but a couple people who work there are prime examples of everything that is wrong with the music industry. I think a great example of that would be, I remember in 2004 they did a Punk Voter, Rock The Vote issue, it was around the election or whatever, and they had a couple people on the cover and I remember Beth Ditto from the Gossip was one of the people who was on the cover, and I remember they actually in PhotoShop stretched her out so she would be more thin on the cover.

Q: Really?

TOM: Yes, mmhmmm. It might have been a fold out cover, and she folded out. It was a couple people on there standing in a line, Billie Joe Armstrong, Fat Mike, Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio. It's just shit like that. I think the world would be a better place without that magazine.

Q: Yeah, part of me wants to say "Live and let live, people can like whatever bands they want." And another part says "really guys, 3OH!3 on the cover? http://www.altpress.com/apmag/264.htm

TOM: Yeah. What are you going to do? And it's also the point too where I'd be fine biting my tongue and not saying anything but I feel on multiple occasions they've gone ahead and been on the offensive with me too, so I'm not going to just sit back, I'm going to speak my mind.

What is your favorite Ramones album? What is your favorite Motörhead album? Where do we go when we die? What's your favorite color? What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

It's not like Tom Gabel is a saint. I like his music and we all make mistakes. Someone altering a picture for a magazine (if it was even done intentionally and not just a result of resizing or something) is not a huge offense.

http://www.punknews.org/article/25078/tom-gabel-of-against-me-arrested

And I can't find it because you google the words "tom gabel sex accusation" and all that comes up is the sex change stuff but I remember maybe 5 years ago a girl claiming that he had sex with her without her permission when she was drunk, or something along those lines. He admitted he made a mistake sleeping with her but called it consensual. Wish I could find that to re-read it.

regarding the tom gabel thing, I remember reading about that.

don't know scotts side of it, but some of it happened on twitter.

Edit: found the interview

Q:

So for the past couple of weeks you've been Twitter fighting with various editors of Alternative Press magazine. What is going on there?

TOM: [Laughs] Uhm, I don't know. I've got to be honest, I'm not a fan of that magazine. I think the people who work there are kind of a prime example, not everybody, but a couple people who work there are prime examples of everything that is wrong with the music industry. I think a great example of that would be, I remember in 2004 they did a Punk Voter, Rock The Vote issue, it was around the election or whatever, and they had a couple people on the cover and I remember Beth Ditto from the Gossip was one of the people who was on the cover, and I remember they actually in PhotoShop stretched her out so she would be more thin on the cover.

Q: Really?

TOM: Yes, mmhmmm. It might have been a fold out cover, and she folded out. It was a couple people on there standing in a line, Billie Joe Armstrong, Fat Mike, Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio. It's just shit like that. I think the world would be a better place without that magazine.

Q: Yeah, part of me wants to say "Live and let live, people can like whatever bands they want." And another part says "really guys, 3OH!3 on the cover? http://www.altpress.com/apmag/264.htm

TOM: Yeah. What are you going to do? And it's also the point too where I'd be fine biting my tongue and not saying anything but I feel on multiple occasions they've gone ahead and been on the offensive with me too, so I'm not going to just sit back, I'm going to speak my mind.

Yeah, I responded to that a while ago somewhere, can't remember where, but to reiterate, Tom (well, Laura, now) is severely mistaken. Beth Ditto was not on the cover of that Punk Voter issue (nor was it a fold-out); in fact, she was supposed to be on the cover, but she missed her flight to get to the photo shoot in time, so she was only included on the inside photos (and she was not "stretched out to be thinner").

What is your favorite Ramones album? What is your favorite Motörhead album? Where do we go when we die? What's your favorite color? What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Rocket To Russia; Ace Of Spades; nowhere, really; orange; African or European?

What is the best Fest story you have? BTMI riot? PIB parking lot? Holiday Inn mayhem?

Yeah, PIB parking lot show probably takes the cake, although getting kicked in the head during Ted Leo way back at Fest 4 and probably getting a concussion is near the top of my list, too. Also when Chris Wollard kept on calling everyone in the crowd "turkeys" that same year. I don't know why, but that still makes me laugh.

Set-wise, watching Gaslight play the Market Street Pub was the kind of show I'll tell my grandkids about.