Okay, VC: Ask me (almost) anything about my job.

For those who don't know, I am the managing editor at Alternative Press, a national music magazine that covers many bands who are popular on the VC boards as well as many more that aren't. I don't really talk openly about my job in here because there's no real need to, but lot of people here tend to have questions (or in some cases, accusations) about what I do for a living, so let this thread be a catch-all. I will do my best to answer any question within reason, but please keep in mind I am an active employee and as such can't go into super-sensitive topics. But if there's something you want to ask, this is the place and now is the time.

Does AP require applicants to have an English degree?

No. We have no specific college degree requirements for any department, although obviously if you have a degree in journalism you'd be a better candidate for an editorial position than someone who doesn't. That said, my degree is in speech communication and they still hired me; a large part of that was from the work I did on Punknews.org.

I'll bite Scott - thanks for offering. I got the subscription during one of the offers so I've read enough issues. I often feel like there is room for more hard-hitting or critical questions to be asked. I felt in particular like the guy from Dance Gavin Dance was given a virtual pass on way too much stuff. I figure AP is more for entertainment but you billed it as coming clean etc.

Why doesn't AP pound a little harder at the touchier stuff?

I like enough of the music discussed in your mags pages that I'd like a bit more. Then again maybe I'm just an old dude and I'm way outside the demographic. Ok, I know I am. 

Ok serious question this time: Have you ever thought about collecting all your oral histories into a book? 

Yup, this has been talked about a lot and is one of those "rainy day projects." I'd love to see it come to light this year. We have sooo much extra content from those oral histories that we just couldn't fit into print that would make a book totally awesome.

What has been your least professional/biggest geek out moment?

Hmm, that one's tough. I've always really tried to come off as professional as possible when I'm at work (although I'm sure I've had more than my fair share of "punisher" moments with bands I really love when I talk to them after a show or something).

My biggest fanboy concern was both times I got to interview Rivers Cuomo, but I felt like I maintained a decent level of professionalism during those, too. I definitely try to sneak in a few fanboy-only questions toward the end of interviews like that, though, only because I know what I would want to get out of an interview if I were on the other side.

I also remember really, really trying to impress Ben Folds the one time I interviewed him back in 2005 or so. He was very uninterested in the interview (it was an in-the-studio piece for the album that would become Songs For Silverman), and I really had to push the boulder uphill and show him I was actually interested in who he was as a person and as a musician. Once I did that, he let his guard down and we had a nice chat.