Overrated/Overhyped bands and or artist

I'm dropping this here.....I'm sure somebody is going to come un-fucking-glued over it....don't care

The Ergs

I feel like I've heard this band in some form or another, and done better, 50,000 times

also.....

Off With Their Heads ......same as The Ergs, so many other bands have done it better before them and continue to do so.

I don't know if I'm just over "Punk-Rock" or some bullshit like that, I'd like to think that I'm not, but both of these bands bore the absolute piss out of me

I'm dropping this here.....I'm sure somebody is going to come un-fucking-glued over it....don't care

The National

I feel like I've heard this band in some form or another, and done better, 50,000 times

also.....

Gaslight Anthem ......same as The National, so many other bands have done it better before them and continue to do so.

I don't know if I'm just over "Punk-Rock" or some bullshit like that, I'd like to think that I'm not, but both of these bands bore the absolute piss out of me

How do you not like Arcade Fire?! maaaaaan, how much have you listened to? And you should listen to everything by the Black Keys from Brothers and back. El Camino was shit.

Same reason why I don't like The National, I've heard it before and done better.  After they won album of the year for Suburbs I checked them out and wasn't impressed.  I had a friend that gave me Brothers and I just couldn't get into it.  They just don't do it for me.

I made a list similar to this the other week and I think it went something like:

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Muse

Radiohead

Tame Impala

Joy Division

Bon Iver

Grizzly Bear

Nirvana

Cut Copy

Thrice

i don't see how tame impala makes that list. aside from receiving high ranks on year end lists for their two albums, they don't get a lot of attention.

plus they're awesome  B)

Tame Impala is indeed solid.  And The National > the majority of what VC members piddle themselves over.

Also, I'd like to point out that "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean bad.  You can very much enjoy an artist or album and still insist that too much hype is awarded.  Radiohead's a prime example of such, for me.

Tame Impala is indeed solid.  And The National > the majority of what VC members piddle themselves over.

Also, I'd like to point out that "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean bad.  You can very much enjoy an artist or album and still insist that too much hype is awarded.  Radiohead's a prime example of such, for me.

Yeah they have a good sound but how many times can you do the same album?

The only thing I hate about how silly people can be with music is the term "guilty pleasure." It's such a bullshit term. Everyone starts out somewhere, and when you cut off a band just because of that your only delaying the inevitable..which would be rediscovering it 20 years from now and paying a premium for it. We can learn alot from baby boomers.

Anthony Fantano does a great job with explaining/handling that term: