The COMMUNITY Thread

I can't deny it anymore. Community has lost it. 

Is it funny? sure, less than it was, but sure

the problem with the show now is that harmon knew how to tell a story. 

even if inspector spacetime was overplayed, I think harmon would have managed it well. This was his show and these last few episodes prove that. 

Its honestly getting too hard for me to watch. 

It's clear to me that it has lost a fair bit of charm. I'm not sure if they'll ever reach quite the level of season 2 again, but season 3 fell short in that department so it's not ALL on the loss of Dan. There are some really funny jokes, but with characters as good as these and actors that play them so well it's hard not to give them a few great lines every episode.

One of my main concerns is that the show isn't going to be able to play its emotional beats well anymore, which was one of the reasons I think set this show apart from most other sitcoms. Like, the end of the Halloween episode didn't do anything for me. Especially compared to Introduction to Film, Mixology Certification, Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas, and Virtual System Analysis.

I wouldn't say it's hard for me to watch. It's still one of about two shows that's appointment television for me. And when I'm not enjoying the episode I'm still enjoying the characters for the most part. I think it'll get better from here as they hopefully settle down into a groove. I think they were trying so, so hard to appeal to the audience that they didn't develop their own voice. There have also been some incredibly lazy jokes also, so that kind of scares me. I'll stick with the show regardless, though.

Let's be real, even if they get a season 5, if NBC finds a few hits in the next program cycle they'll dump Community. It doesn't have a big enough following on paper, and who would finance a full-length feature? I'd bet on Netflix, with all the awesome news about original programming as of late, but Sony/NBC won't even license the show to Netflix (assuming they've tried), I'd bet obtaining the rights to a movie would be a stupid frustrating jungle for anyone who attempted it.

I haven't seen this week's episode, but I haven't heard anyone say "it was a great episode", so I'm not looking forward to it :( .

It's clear to me that it has lost a fair bit of charm. I'm not sure if they'll ever reach quite the level of season 2 again, but season 3 fell short in that department so it's not ALL on the loss of Dan.

To be fair Dan did say he had to rush a lot of things in Season 3 that he wanted to develop more because NBC was hinting that shit was going to go south. I pretty much agree with the majority on here; It still can make me laugh but there's way too many lazy jokes.

Hmm, I didn't have a problem with anything feeling rushed. It was more of the overarching things. Like Chang's Army just because they wanted to put Chang back in a position of power. Or (sorry to harp on this) using Inspector so much just because fans went wild about it the first time. And them pretty much catering the show to Abed so much in the latter half of the season. I think it kind of affected the group dynamic by having so much of their activities filtered through him.

Hmm, I didn't have a problem with anything feeling rushed. It was more of the overarching things. Like Chang's Army just because they wanted to put Chang back in a position of power. Or (sorry to harp on this) using Inspector so much just because fans went wild about it the first time. And them pretty much catering the show to Abed so much in the latter half of the season. I think it kind of affected the group dynamic by having so much of their activities filtered through him.

I should have elaborated. By rushed I mean he said certain story lines that he wanted to draw out longer or save for later he threw in because they're stories he wanted to tell before he left. He specifically talked about Abed and explained why he focused so much on him. It was in a Reddit AMA if I recall.

Dan always said that he wanted to do a movie, but wanted to have them come back from something weird and be like "Well that was wacky series of events" or something along those lines. If the show continued elsewhere I'd imagine they re hire him and he can pretend that season 4 was a weird alternate meta universe.  

At least I hope for that. 

If you didn't like season 3, I'd suggest a re-watch as s3 turned me off initially but on second viewing I loved so much more. Inspector spacetime just gave something for abed to obsess about, the joke wore out its welcome in the last episode as they didn't do anything funny with it. 

Could any of you imagine Arrested Development without Mitch Hurwitz? I feel like it's the same deal here. 

I dunno which you read, but I read AV Club's, and Todd VanDerWerff hated it.

I thought it was a little odd that this episode (as is often the case with Community episodes) was aired out of order and was like the 2nd produced, I think. Because to me the characters felt more grounded than in any of the other episodes. I gotta watch it again because I've only seen it the one time so far. And, yeah, a lot of people are hating on Jeff's speech. I was too delighted by how much the episode was entertaining me to nitpick, so we'll see how it holds up.

one thing i took away from this episode is that i'm starting to understand chevy leaving.

it seems like they have drastically reduced pierce in several aspects... fewer lines, a cheaper ones at that. far less importance in the gorup dynamic. 

almost as if he was pretty much written off after all the shit with dan went public.

It was a pretty lazy joke, but I got a kick out of Pierce being offended that Jeff automatically got the Hitler role in the group.

But he has been reduced to pretty much gay and racist jokes. At least he could provide some nuggets of wisdom or a different perspective before. I think I already said it, but I wasn't buying his moment at the end of the Halloween episode as being redemptive for his character, either.

Part of it has to do with his refusal to do scenes, plus them not always being 100% sure if he was gonna be on set so they couldn't rely on him too much. That also means they probably didn't try as hard to make him a good character.