Lent

God's not real. Heaven's not real. Hell's not real. Religion exists to give people something bigger than themselves to believe in. Once you overcome that weakness and believe in yourself, you can leave religion behind and be a better person for it.

I actually have to disagree with this, respectfully. 

In no way, shape, or form am I the model for a religious person. I curse, drink, all the above. Most would classify me as more spiritual than religious. One of the reasons why I am a good, solid human being is because I was raised catholic. Believing in something bigger than yourself no way hinders the ability to believe in yourself or being a better person. People have that "bigger than life" feeling with other things in life, such as music. 

There is absolutely nothing perfect in life, especially religion. And I do whole heartedly believe that religion should be taken from some people that take it to the extreme, but at the same time, it does help people.

in my eyes, i just find it scary that religion is still as wide-spread as it is. that people just blindly follow the word of some guys who told stories thousands of years ago because they didn't have things like the internet and rollerderby. every last bit of it is based on boredom.

boredom, perhaps, and psychosis? am i the only person who thinks jesus was delusional?

probably not going to strike a good rapport with the religious folk in this thread... however i truly have no problems with religion. if it gives peoples' lives meaning, then by all means. i think that is the most anyone can ask for in this world. but if finding meaning comes at the expense of depriving people of fundamental human rights -- rights to their body, rights to love whom they want, rights to not be religious -- then i have no tolerance or patience for religion.

As long as we're giving our viewpoints on religion, I though I'd give mine. I was raised a Baptist Christian, then about 10 years later my family changed to a Evangelical Christian. Lately, I have been struggling with my faith. Despite what some of you say, I believe there is a God out there, but I just haven't been as close to him as I usually am. If someone were to come up and tell me there wasn't a God I would tell them that's their belief, but I can't see how the world just happened without some higher being shaping it all.

I've also been told I'm a very tolerant Christian. Example: Me and my friends were talking and we started talking about what we would do if we had a boy/girl and our child told us they were gay. One said they would beat them and kick them out of the house, the other said that they would beat them, but keep them at the house. I couldn't believe what they had just said, I mean, you'd beat your own child just because they weren't normal to you? Have some decency. I was terribly pissed when they said this, and I had a long conversation with them about it afterward. 

I said that to say I'm not here to judge anyone else's religion, but at least be respectful to mine. And have respect for human beings. 

I dig ya. Just to offer up some thoughts on why Christianity makes sense, check out Mere Christianity. A slightly different but quite good work in the vain is this by N.T. Wright: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Christian-Christianity-Makes-Sense/dp/0061920622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361768305&sr=8-1&keywords=nt+wright+christianity

As long as we're giving our viewpoints on religion, I though I'd give mine. I was raised a Baptist Christian, then about 10 years later my family changed to a Evangelical Christian. Lately, I have been struggling with my faith. Despite what some of you say, I believe there is a God out there, but I just haven't been as close to him as I usually am. If someone were to come up and tell me there wasn't a God I would tell them that's their belief, but I can't see how the world just happened without some higher being shaping it all.

I've also been told I'm a very tolerant Christian. Example: Me and my friends were talking and we started talking about what we would do if we had a boy/girl and our child told us they were gay. One said they would beat them and kick them out of the house, the other said that they would beat them, but keep them at the house. I couldn't believe what they had just said, I mean, you'd beat your own child just because they weren't normal to you? Have some decency. I was terribly pissed when they said this, and I had a long conversation with them about it afterward. 

I said that to say I'm not here to judge anyone else's religion, but at least be respectful to mine. And have respect for human beings. 

tshirtjesus.png

Sounds like your friends are really really terrible people.