RIP Jason Molina (Songs: Ohia, Magnolia Electric Co.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some artists I've enjoyed die in the past, but hearing about Jason absolutely gutted me. His music helped me through quite a few tough times in my life and knowing he isn't going to be making more music fucking kills me.

Who?

Obviously I am out of the loop...sucks to lose musicians either way.

He started the band Songs: Ohia (basically just him with revolving musicians around him) and released mostly somber folk songs. In 2003 he released the album Magnolia Electric Co. which was a bit of a departure from his previous releases. It had a much more alt-country feel to it. Soon after he started Magnolia Electric Co. and they continued on with the more alt-country sounding releases.

In 2009 he released an album with Will Johnson but had to cancel the tour due to his alcoholism. Since then he has been in and out of rehab and released one final record last year called Autumn Bird Songs. He was one of the kindest people I've met and I really wish I could have seen him perform one last time.

My favorite song by him and god damn if I haven't played it at least a dozen times in the past week.