Can I Save This?

I was at Goodwill today and spotted a Panasonic SG-D27. It's an early 90s combination turntable, radio, and tape deck. For only $10, I figured I'd pick it up and see how it worked, figuring it would have some issues, but lacking real funds for a setup and not being too much of an audiophile, I figured it was worth a shot. 

The issue when I got it home was I found that it was running about 5 RPM slow. Before I put any more money into it, I wanted to ask you guys what you knew.

Is this potentially worth putting maybe $50 into to get running correctly? Is it likely that just a belt replacement would fix the speed issue? If I ordered a new belt, would I be able to replace it myself? What other kinds of issues should I check for?

those combination things are shit. i know you said you aren't an audiophile but this is beyond it not sounding perfect, it sounds like muddy crap. i find it unlistenable. possibly one of the worst possible ways to listen to your records (in my amateur collector opinion). save the $50 and buy literally anything else.

Haha, I see you're not alone in this:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/62812-questions-about-a-panasonic-sg-d27-player/

But yeah, what ThisScreamsNicky said.

I found that when I was trying to look up what I could find on it haha

But would it be even worse than a Crosley? (This was going to be a hopeful alternative to the one my parents bought a few years ago for their old records to keep to myself)

I found that when I was trying to look up what I could find on it haha

But would it be even worse than a Crosley? (This was going to be a hopeful alternative to the one my parents bought a few years ago for their old records to keep to myself)

If you're going to spend the money on a Crosley, I'd say you're better off buying an Audio Technical LP60 for $80.  Hook it up to computer speakers until you can get an EQ, speakers, etc.  You can probably find it a bit cheaper used.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365885109&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+record+player+at+lp60

This AT turntable is a million times better than the Crosley all-in-one I had.  Man, did those speakers suck, it tracked heavy (definitely not good for the record), and it just wasn't good.

If you're going to spend the money on a Crosley, I'd say you're better off buying an Audio Technical LP60 for $80.  Hook it up to computer speakers until you can get an EQ, speakers, etc.  You can probably find it a bit cheaper used.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365885109&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+record+player+at+lp60

This AT turntable is a million times better than the Crosley all-in-one I had.  Man, did those speakers suck, it tracked heavy (definitely not good for the record), and it just wasn't good.

Well, I already have the Crosley, so this was a possible replacement. But thanks for the tip on that, I'll look into it.

Possibly. At least along the same lines as a crosley. Not worth the hassle by any means.

Good to know. Thanks everyone, that's why I came here first.

Let me ask you this: if someone gave you a steaming pile of dog shit for free, would you spend $50 to make it smell slightly nicer, knowing that the money invested will only make it smell equally as nice as your current pile of dog shit?

Okay, that was a way over the top example, but at the sub-$100 level, we're basically talking about polishing a turd.  Crosleys, LP60s, etc etc ... let's just put an end to the madness.  If you're really serious about upgrading your set up, do the research and start saving your money.  That's pretty much the only option you have, unless you happen to stumble upon a great vintage deck at goodwill or a yard sale ... but those occurrences are rare, and you need to know what you're looking for.

If you're insistent on spending as little money as possible, I'd go the Craigslist route.  You're more likely to find a decent vintage turntable in the $100 - $200 range, preferably something that has been treated well by its owner.  Maybe an audiophile who simply wants to pass on good karma to a newbie looking to get his / her feet wet.

hey a friend of mine has one of those LP60s and it sounds perfectly alright to me. i'm no audiophile either. but i know what shit sounds like.

hey a friend of mine has one of those LP60s and it sounds perfectly alright to me. i'm no audiophile either. but i know what shit sounds like.

Oh, yeah, I love my LP60.  I have it going through an EQ and Receiver I had gotten from my grandmother.  Sounds perfectly good to me. Comparing the LP60 to the Crosley...forget about it.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with borderline retarded statements like this, but okay ...

Please tell us the ways in which the AT-LP60 smokes a Crosley.  No need for big audiophile words - just describe the differences in sound and performance, and how the OP can expect such a giant sonic upgrade should he make the switch.  I mean, you guys are pretty confident and apparently you've done the comparison, so for the benefit of this thread, enlighten us with the results of your Crosley vs AT-LP60 shootout.

Agreed, why should we waste our time?

Hey OP, i listen to records. my knowledge of audio equipment is minimal. i've listened to several combination decks and they all sound like shit.

i've listened to the turntable linked from Amazon, and the sound did not offend me and i enjoyed the listening experience.

& that is the end.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with borderline retarded statements like this, but okay ...

Please tell us the ways in which the AT-LP60 smokes a Crosley.  No need for big audiophile words - just describe the differences in sound and performance, and how the OP can expect such a giant sonic upgrade should he make the switch.  I mean, you guys are pretty confident and apparently you've done the comparison, so for the benefit of this thread, enlighten us with the results of your Crosley vs AT-LP60 shootout.

You+sir+get+a+thumbs+up+from+me+and+two+

Yes, because "it did not offend me" is an excellent criteria for buying a turntable.

Listen, you can enjoy whatever you want and no one can ever take that away from you.  I enjoy 192 kbps mp3s on my ipod played through a shitty pair of $20 Sony earbuds.  That doesn't change the fact that the AT-LP60 is not an upgrade from anything, including a Crosley.  If you're just getting into vinyl and you'd simply like something to mess around with, then the Audio Technica is fine, but to suggest that someone should ditch his $60 plastic turntable for an $80 plastic turntable is flat-out silly.

This thread.

Haha!! I swear, every time I get about 7-8 posts into one of these ridiculously amazing Turntable/Audio threads, I start to wonder where ajxd is. Then he pops up saying exactly what I'm thinking. Seriously, this is the third or fourth time you've said that perfectly. I laughed for a good minute. These threads...