The first openly homosexual athlete in a major American team sport.

Its always kinda blown my mind that people are so adamantly supportive of a lifestyle where the people who participate are 18 times more likely to spread HIV. Being an African American, those chances increase.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

It's always kinda blown my mind that people are so quick to demonize a sexual preference by marginalizing it as a "lifestyle". "The 18x more likely to contract HIV" statistic you cite is obviously rooted in a lack of education regarding the topic, not to mention the biology of males as a whole to participate in high-risk behavior. No one is a proponent of a dangerous, promiscuous lifestyle, and to blame the sexual preference rather than the uneducated people participating in the high-risk behavior is ignorant.

Horse fucking? I can't even articulate how stupid a comparison that is.

We could have this argument all day, but I know you're eager to imply false causation and use falsely-interpreted statistics to spread homophobia without making it look like your argument is coming purely from a place of hate, so...whatever helps you sleep at night.

seeing conservatives/random people i know tweet multiple times about how this 'isn't news' blah blah blah is really disheartening for me.  i see the dumbest stuff posted daily about amanda bynes' shenanigans or dogs balancing things on their face, but these people don't make a huge fuss about that. being gay shouldn't be a big deal, but it is in today's society because of people like that. dude is brave and should be proud of himself.

I don't know about disheartening; I'd say ideally we would live in a world where this wouldn't be news. It should just be another facet of everyday life. I suspect that wasn't the angle your Twitter feed was aiming at, however. (And in their defense, that dog balancing shit on its head was awesome!)

I think it's great that he's proudly living in the open now, though I don't exactly think it's a coincidence that he waited until his season was over, and he essentially became a FA. As much as I'd like to see him continue playing, he's pretty old by pro sports standards, and wasn't exactly racking up minutes this season.

Its always kinda blown my mind that people are so adamantly supportive of a lifestyle where the people who participate are 18 times more likely to spread HIV. Being an African American, those chances increase.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

5262.jpg

My two cents:

Chris Kluwe isn't gay, he has a wife and kids.. He's just a big supporter of gay rights.

Being gay isn't a choice, if it was, then being straight would also be a choice. And do you really think people would choose to be gay with the way society is?

This isn't really an active athlete if he is a free agent.

People need to accept each other, stories like this shouldn't be such a big deal.

Some people are saying he's only doing this so when his contract expires he can hit them big for discrimination.

People need to accept each other, stories like this shouldn't be such a big deal.

Women's rights & ending segregation shouldn't have had to be such big deals either. Unfortunately this is our generations civil rights movement, although fortunately most of our generation is smart enough to realize something needs to be done.

-Things like this are a big deal because there is still such opposition. There was a town in Georgia that still had segregated proms until this year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/29/integrated-prom-georgia-wilcox-county-video_n_3181773.html

- Also Mississippi just ratified the 13th Amendment this year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/18/mississippi-13th-amendment_n_2712289.html

- Alabama didn't officially overturn interracial marriage ban until 2000. These were supposed to be yesterday's issues.