Issue with an international shipment

So, I shipped a record to someone in Germany back in April that was just returned to me "unclaimed" and a few days later the buyer opened an ebay case against me without even contacting me first. Since the shipment was done via USPS International First Class Mail the tracking details are vague and actually restarted a few days before the package was returned to me (so it says nothing about the package being unclaimed in Germany). I do have a sticker on the package itself that says it was unclaimed but I doubt that's enough evidence for ebay/paypal to favor me in a dispute. I think I'm pretty much screwed here, what do you guys think?

Guest realtalk

Yeah, my main issue is I shouldn't have to refund the shipping cost. Another issue is the LP was beat up since it was sent to Germany and back even though it was packed extremely well.

When this happens to us Canadians it's $36 shipping gone for a 2xLP. Sux.

It may gave been stopped by customsm(depending on the value) and the buyer didn't want to pay taxes on it, so refused it.

Get in touch with the buyer, explain the situation from your end. And get them to eat the shipping fee and just refund the item cost. Don't try for compensation for the record being beaten up.

I'm sure it sucks for the buyer, almost as much as it does for you

This is just one more reason I have all but stopped shipping out of the US. 

don't let that idiot ruin it for the rest of us.

there are two main reasons for an unclaimed item:

- item hasn't been picked up from customs

- item couldn't be delivered and, subsequently, hasn't been picked up at the post office

in the first case you receive a letter telling you about the details of the pick up process. you can't miss that!

in the latter case, the post man leaves a note at the door. sometimes not even that/the note somehow gets lost, especially in multi-appartment houses. you may miss it.

in any case, it's really unprofessional to open an ebay case without contacting the seller. I feel sorry for you.

but please, everyone from overseas who gets asked to ship to Europe, check the potential buyer for his/her credibility and offer international shipping. I've missed so many items for my collection, because sellers didn't want to ship to Europe - just because of idiots like the one called out in this thread. ;-)

Dunno if German post is similar to here in the UK, but i recently found out if i tracked a record sent priority from USA and used the USPS track  and Trace, it was vague once it left the UK to say the least, out of curiosity i entered the USPS number into the Royal Mail and Parcel Force Track and Trace sites, lo and behold the parcel force one came back with a very detailed trace of it moving through customs leaving customs right to my door, even gave the me the the tracking number it had been changed to as soon as it entered UK. Maybe worth a try to see if that brings up anything?

don't let that idiot ruin it for the rest of us.

there are two main reasons for an unclaimed item:

- item hasn't been picked up from customs

- item couldn't be delivered and, subsequently, hasn't been picked up at the post office

in the first case you receive a letter telling you about the details of the pick up process. you can't miss that!

in the latter case, the post man leaves a note at the door. sometimes not even that/the note somehow gets lost, especially in multi-appartment houses. you may miss it.

in any case, it's really unprofessional to open an ebay case without contacting the seller. I feel sorry for you.

but please, everyone from overseas who gets asked to ship to Europe, check the potential buyer for his/her credibility and offer international shipping. I've missed so many items for my collection, because sellers didn't want to ship to Europe - just because of idiots like the one called out in this thread. ;-)

this

I wish logistic services quality would grow the same way internet shopping is doing. It is a shame to pay 24$ shipping for a record and not even having a proper tracking system.

The buyer's only message so far is "No LP and its been 8 weeks". I contacted her yesterday describing what happened but so far no reply. The only options ebay are giving me in the claims process are contact the buyer, give full refund or upload tracking information. Should I take a picture of the package with the "not claimed" sticker and send it to ebay with an explanation? Something similar happened to me with someone I was trading with 3-4 years ago and the person told me they received the notice that the package was at the post office but forgot and never picked it up. I'm assuming something similar happened here.