PO: Zola Jesus - Versions (sacred bones)

http://sacredbonesrecords.com/releases/sbr102/

Standard Edition is up, the Limited edition is TBD....I hope its better than her last deluxe. That was the Cheapest Clear vinyl ive ever purchased! Had to send it back it played so band! Also the super deluxe was a zipper jacket that was pointless and over priced!

One of my favorite artists!!! Cant wait for this album.....Sadly its not her new album, rather new "versions" of older songs! But nonetheless will be amazing I am sure! Growing as a person and entering my 30's I've found a love for classical music, this will fit real nice with her sound! 

sbr102-front.jpg

1. Avalanche (Slow)
  2. Fall Back
  3. Hikikomori
  4. Run Me Out
  5. Seekir
  6. Sea Talk
  7. Night
  8. In Your Nature
  9. Collapse
  10. Avalanche (CD bonus track)

On the heels of her Conatus world tour, Nika Roza Danilova was offered an opportunity to perform at one of the most prestigious modern art museums in the world, NY’s Guggenheim. Rather than doing her standard electronic set she decided she wanted to work with a classical composer who could arrange her songs for a quartet. She recruited legendary industrial pioneer JG Thirlwell (Foetus) to do the arrangements, who, since his work as Foetus, has been scoring and composing symphonic arrangements for a variety of projects including currently scoring Adult Swim’s The Venture Bros. series. Thirlwell’s oeuvre runs the gamut from orchestrations, big band, and cathartic noise-rock to abstract electronics, sound sculpture, and chamber music, thus making him the perfect collaborator to help realize Danilova’s vision. Danilova explains her intentions with this album,“Versions is about the bone of the music; taking approximations from past records and turning them inside out. With all framework exposed, the songs are given a new medium in which to evolve and bloom into their own tiny worlds.” Removing the bulk of electronics from these songs gives them the space to breath, thusly opening them up to be received by a much wider audience who perhaps haven’t previously ventured into the techno-pop/industrial arena.

The Sacred Bones limited editions have been really disappointing lately. I don't know why I keep buying them.

LOL, me too! I passed on the VAR and Psychic ILLS limiteds because of that very fact! They are just a little to expensive for literally a piece of wallpaper or cardboard with a wax seal....No color variant or anything....they could be doing better with them! But I love Zola so much ill have to get the limited for her sake

• 4 weeks later...

Dang was hoping for a little something "extra" as there was a delay in posting the deluxe...but another stupid wrap cover! Ugh, of course I bought it, because I am huge Zola fan, and I guess its better than that $50 zipper wrap, I passed on.....But they could at least do a different vinyl color! 

also: 300 is pretty low for her....(maybe not) She doesnt get the credit she deserves 

Dang was hoping for a little something "extra" as there was a delay in posting the deluxe...but another stupid wrap cover! Ugh, of course I bought it, because I am huge Zola fan, and I guess its better than that $50 zipper wrap, I passed on.....But they could at least do a different vinyl color! 

also: 300 is pretty low for her....(maybe not) She doesnt get the credit she deserves 

I agree that she is amazing and doesn't get enough attention.  Not sure if I want this special version.  I too was hoping for something extra (music)

Shit, DVD...I want that....You'd think they would throw in the DVD with the deluxe but I highly doubt that...probably a promo thing for indie stores....maybe my store will save me one....?

i think they will. When they offered promo discs for the men releases at indie stores, they included them in the mail order.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this today! (bent corner, dang) SB never puts extra cardboard or padding? I just dont get how labels ship media mail with nothing to help reinforce....I know they are super small, but you'd probably save more in the end spending the .5 cents for cardboard or bubble wrap...

Anyway, the DVD was included....Cover is super disappointing...its literally brushed with concrete, with NO design? It is a cool concept and I "get it" as the concrete is the art itself...but they could of at least outlined a Z J or something?

Ill post pics tonight

BTW, a little shock this isnt sold out yet? She doesnt get enough praise!

i bought this in a record store and it didnt come with a dvd?

You would of had to ask if they had promo copies of it behind the desk....they most likely do or did....as every store that ordered LPs got them, whoever checked you out probably didnt know about it....so either they were already out, or they didnt remember to offer you one! If you really want it....call them....