Anyone want to do Insanity with me?

Finished day 3 this morning. It's def getting easier, but my legs are KILLING me right now. 

Lebowski I totally agree that for dramatic weightloss juicing is absolutely the way to go but for me I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose. I maintain a pretty health diet (granola bar for breakfast everyday and a bunch of fruit/yogurt for lunch) so this is more to get myself in shape.I used to work out constantly in college because I had easy access and tons of time. Now between work, planning a wedding, putting out records, and school I don't have a ton of free time. Thats where this kind of crash exercise comes in to get me into shape in the bit of spare time I do have.   

Finished day 3 this morning. It's def getting easier, but my legs are KILLING me right now. 

Lebowski I totally agree that for dramatic weightloss juicing is absolutely the way to go but for me I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose. I maintain a pretty health diet (granola bar for breakfast everyday and a bunch of fruit/yogurt for lunch) so this is more to get myself in shape.I used to work out constantly in college because I had easy access and tons of time. Now between work, planning a wedding, putting out records, and school I don't have a ton of free time. Thats where this kind of crash exercise comes in to get me into shape in the bit of spare time I do have.   

"Get myself in shape is a little vague"

Acknowledgement to BigBruise on the pic (posted in the weightlifting thread). It's not an exact science but I would say:

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

35%+ -- Juice!!

30% and maybe 25% -- Juice, Insanity, cardio, anything to get a calorie deficit. 

8-20% -- Focus on strength gains through a good freeweight program and have a small calorie surplus. As you push the 20% range, do "cuts" (diet and/or cardio to lose any fat that you pick up). 

4-8% -- Don't expect this without roids. Maybe one in ten thousand could get here without them.

That is what I would recommend. Spider, you say you aren't that fat so if you are already under 25% and just looking to get stronger or more toned, Insanity is not the path for you. The best way to get stronger is big compound lifts with free-weights, food, and rest, not doing 20 different exercises until your legs are on fire and working out 5+ days a week.

That should be general enough to give anyone reading a frame of referene and plan of attack...

One more little tip of advice that I have learned that I feel like sharing -- Workout equipment can essentially be had for free. Unless someone is really scraping for dollars (and literally can't have their money tied up in equipment), you can buy the stuff on Craigslist and sell it for what you paid when you are done with it (some dudes actually make extra money by flipping weights and stuff...assholes, right?).

Spider, I tried to look in your general area for an example. Not really putting a ton of time in this so I looked at the extended area around Philly and found this:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3950115169.html

If you could get it for $300 you will probably make money when you sell it. $400 you won't lose anything. $500 still ain't bad but you might sell for a little less on the turnaround.

Enough about money. Power rack, bench, bar, and 300 pounds is all you need (and arguably, all you would ever want) for full body strength training (squat, deadlift, pull ups, bench press, overhead press, tricep extension). Workout 3 times a week following one of the many strength training programs on the web. When you have run your course with insanity, this is the next logical step...

Just started today and I had a lot of fun. I feel pretty good about my current level of fitness but I can see this program being interesting and giving me something new to look forward to every day. I did this outside and didn't keep track of my numbers on the fit test but I felt good and I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements to come.

Glad to be aboard!

Hey I am a newbie to VC, but Thrice55 told me about this thread and I knew I just had to chime in. ;)  I am on my 2nd week of Insanity and it is definitely a love/hate relationship. The hardest workout I have done in a long time, but I have been out of the fitness routine for years now. It has really been a big push to get back into shape and I feel this workout is exactly what I needed to get going. I bought some fitness dvds and tried running outside around my neighborhood while doing push-ups, sit ups, etc., but I couldn't stay motivated and I felt like I was half assing it anyways. Plus it is way too hot outside during the times I have available for workouts so Thrice55 got me the insanity to try out.

For me insanity seems to work. I am only on week 2, but I feel better (regardless of the soreness) and I think I look a little better too. I don't own a scale so I am not sure how much weight I am actually loosing.

Today is my recovery day and I am looking forward to it, even though it still works your already exhausted quads. I feel like the 2nd week is harder than the first and I am sure it will continue to be that way. As you get better and stronger you are able to do more. I struggle the most with the push ups and there is so much plyometrics that sometimes I want to cry! I find myself yelling at the tv and yelling at myself to keep going. That helps too!!  :D  Best of luck to all you guys and I'll keep checking in.

You guys should look into jiu jitsu. I've been training about 4 months and its been awesome. My buddy has gone done from 252 to 228 with only 3 hours per week. It's also pretty enjoyable but you do get your but kicked every session.

Regardless of what training you do, the further out of shape you are the easier it is to disrupt your body's homoeostasis. Unless your buddy was 6'10", he was pretty out of shape (which is fine, props to him on the weight loss).

Basically just adding, "results may vary" depending on where someone else is at.

Regardless of what training you do, the further out of shape you are the easier it is to disrupt your body's homoeostasis. Unless your buddy was 6'10", he was pretty out of shape (which is fine, props to him on the weight loss).

Basically just adding, "results may vary" depending on where someone else is at.

Yeah true. I have only moved about 5 pounds. Mostly I was just saying that opposed to insanity or things of that nature this is more enjoyable. Like someone mentioned most people give up on those or go back to old habits once they're done with the program. People just need to find something they enjoy and stick with it.

What's the nutrition guidelines on this? Do they recommend any supplements?

There are definitely a few that speed up recovery or will help you get an extra couple pull ups done.

There is a nutrition plan. It has about ten different suggestions per meal and asks you to eat 400-500 calories per meal, 5 times a day. I'm eating about 300-400 5 times a day. As far as supplements, it doesn't say other thing other than their shake that they sell but that seems sort of scammy

Try to give a rundown cause it doesn't seem like there is a ton of guidance in the program.

-- I won't touch on calculating the amount of calories you burn. Too much out there and too much variance across different body types. Plenty of websites that can do this justice.

-- If you do this and you don't use a food scale and app to count calories, you should be

-- Rough example -- If a 200 pound person is sedentary most of the day outside of insanity they need about 2500 calories to maintain body weight. Insanity might burn 1000 calories in a good hour long session. 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. So a 1000 calorie a day deficit will take off 2 pounds of fat a week. 1000 is probably about the max deficit you want in a day.

-- The point that I am getting to: 2000 calories might not be enough. Work out a ton and don't eat enough leads to overtraining (a symptom of which would be being really sore all the time). Overtraining can be nearly as bad as undertraining. The idea is stress your body, refuel, and rest, giving your body what it needs to rebuild stronger. Stress it too hard and it goes into "survival mode", where it feels like it needs to hoard energy, not build muscle.

-- Measuring calories in and calories out will also help you separate real fat loss from temporary losses (water weight, depleted muscle glycogen) which will just reverse themselves when you are done. Obviously can't count every calorie but if you think your weekly deficit was 2 pounds and the scale says 5, you might want to not trust the scale entirely.

The quick and dirty on supplements:

Everyone should take -- Multivitamin, Fish Oil, Creatine

Almost certainly should take -- whey protein (post workout)

Helps a lot with recovery -- Casein protein (before bed), Branch Chain Amino Acids (either during workout or before bed)

Optional -- Any nitric oxide supplement (usually called a "preworkout"). They come with stimulants (usually about a cup of coffee's worth of caffeine) or without. Stim examples are NO-explode, Craze, White Flood. Non-stim are hemavol and a bunch more. Stim ones give you more energy, but some people don't like them and feel jittery. Up to you.

Don't bother -- Anything over the counter that claims to be a "test booster". They do not work.

The whey, casein, and BCAAs are all kinda doing the same thing. Adequate protein intake (shake or real food) will supply adequate amino acid intake. You don't need all of them. I go whey post workout and Casein before bed. Definitely feel it helps recovery.

Let me know if not clear. There's a thousand other supplements out there you don't need but I can comment if asked.

I'll give all of that a more in depth read through soon, thanks! I've downloaded Lose It and its helping SO much. Knowing how much, say, a subway sandwich is and how much (little) it takes to get to 2000 calories is really serving as great guidance. That being said, even a half hour moderate bike ride can burn 150 calories, which offsets half a meal and gets me out of the house. It's a fantastic tool and its helping me start a major adjustment on my eating