Record stores in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver?

I go to Everyday Music for bigger new releases. Their selection looks huge but I can never find anything. It will be even harder if you are looking for punk and metal. Underwhelming is the perfect way to put it.

I just took a vacation to Seattle and Portland last month. For good punk/indie/ska in Seattle, hit up Sonic Boom and Silver Platters. Silver Platters is a chain, I'd recommend the SoDo location. In Portland, 2nd Ave and Everyday Music are essential, I found tons of stuff. Also in Portland, check out Powell's Books

In Seattle, I'd recommend Singles Going Steady for punk, screamo, hardcore, etc.  They have the best selection of that material.

For more rounded stores, Everyday Music here is good (better than the PDX one in my opinion).

If you're willing to drive a bit (or take a decent bus ride), both Sonic Boom (in Ballard) and Easy St. Records (in West Seattle) are both excellent.

In Seattle, I'd recommend Singles Going Steady for punk, screamo, hardcore, etc. They have the best selection of that material.

For more rounded stores, Everyday Music here is good (better than the PDX one in my opinion).

If you're willing to drive a bit (or take a decent bus ride), both Sonic Boom (in Ballard) and Easy St. Records (in West Seattle) are both excellent.

I was out there not to long ago and I checked out singles going steady that place rules!

I was out there not to long ago and I checked out singles going steady that place rules!

Yeah!  As long as you're only looking for punk and genres with ties to punk, it's a great store.  Also, I'd recommend running across the street to Shorty's too.  20 pinball machines and cheap beer.

Just got back from PDX and Seattle — didn't get to record shop in the latter, but went hog wild in the former. 2nd Ave was fucking awesome; Crossroads was super-rad; Jackpot was decent; I also hit up a brand new store called Blythe & Bennett and got some really cool, rare finds for relatively cheap. There are a TON of stores in PDX considering how small it is; some stores even have complimentary maps/pamphlets that list all the stores in the city. Find one and go crazy.

In seattle check out Porchlight records and coffee also the melrose vinyl market both up on Capitol Hill!

I used to go to that Sonic Boom all the time before it switched to Melrose vinyl market, haven't been since.  I really need to get over there once I have some extra cash to spare.

Spin Cycle (on Broadway) usually has a good selection of used stuff, but their pricing is a little steep at times.

These have both already been mentioned, but I'm gonna back Singles Going Steady and Porchlight here in Seattle for your punk rock needs.  I'll also add Zion's Gate on Cap Hill, they have a pretty decent punk section.  Easy Street, Everyday, and Silver Platters are all great too, but carry a broader variety of stuff.

I've only been record shopping at one place in Portland, but it was great - Green Noise Records.  Again, focuses a lot on punk/hardcore, so I think it'll be your kinda place.

Thanks everyone, I've had a super sweet time in Seattle and Vancouver. I went to almost all of the places you guys suggested. I also thought Zion's Gate in Seattle had an INCREDIBLE selection, but the prices were so unbelievably high haha. I'm driving to Portland tomorrow and really looking forward to 2nd Avenue and Everyday Music. The one in Seattle was pretty cool so I'm down for another haha.

• 2 months later...

If you have a taste for some really obscure high quality stuff, I can't recommend Mississippi Records in NE any more! The press their own records and sell them in store for 11 bucks, but also typically have a fantastic selection of Roots/Blues/World as well as a surprising amount of Noise/Prog stuff. 

They are cash only, but their prices are consistently lower than most places in Portland.