Simple | Worry-free Alternative to Traditional Banking

I didn't know the bit about savings accounts. I thought Chase was just being a dick by charging me fees unless I have $15,000.

Wells Fargo was doing that to me for a while too, so I ended up switching to a credit union with a $5 minimum requirement.  One of the best choices I've made.  There is nothing more frustrating that being charged money because I don't have enough money.

When I signed up, it said it would take a few business days to get approval and that applications were rarely denied. I got an e-mail an hour later telling me to get started and create my username, etc. It was super fast.

The only email I received was when I signed up to receive an invite. I'm hoping there won't be any problems. A few years ago someone cleaned out my bank account, and I called the credit reporting bureaus to block any inquiries. I was also born in another country which occasionally caused issues.

I didn't know the bit about savings accounts. I thought Chase was just being a dick by charging me fees unless I have $15,000.

The federal regulation is about using a savings as a savings, and the bank charging fees after a certain number of withdrawls.

The maintenance fee for not keeping a minimum balance in the account is different... but pretty standard for most major brick and mortar banks. There really isn't a "free checking account" anymore at most B&M banks, all come with fees and requirements that if met the fee will be waived.

Also after reading that article on Lifehacker, Simple isn't offering anything that you can't do with Bank of America with the exception of the Goals feature moving money for you. However, that is also something you can do for yourself if you were really feeling inclined to actually save and keep money set aside... like an adult.

I work in the banking industry and can't wait to see how more services like this evolve. All my clients are seeing declines in actual foot traffic to their branches and cutting back to more automated tellers instead of people at the branch. I think a service like this is just what the industry needs right now but it's going to be hard for people who like to use cash or get paid in cash.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned, but I went out to eat today and signed in to check my balance. Simple had taken out 20% more than the ticket price from my "safe to spend" to account for any tip that hasn't gone through yet.

Just a small feature, but I'm impressed.

That's a great feature!  I always have to try and remember exactly what I tipped until the transaction goes through.

I've been using Simple for a month now and I've liked it a lot. I have a student bank account with Santander, so I use both banks currently. 

I eventually want to switch all my spending to Simple but right now I pretty much transfer any online balances I have to it and then pay off my credit card. 

If anyone wants invites still, I've got em. 

For those with cash, the best way to handle it is deposit cash to your primary bank and then transfer it to Simple which is relatively easy as well.