Austin.

Holy Shit.  Franklin's was insane.  It was a long, wet, cold wait today, but worth it.  Wow.

May be hitting the Iron Cactus later.  yay or nay?

You've eaten at a place where most of my coworkers would never dream of going due to the fact that there's a wait. they are lazy,but they also complain about $12 entrees at a indian restaurant as if that's expensive since it's not a buffet.

If you're downtown near iron cactus, iron cactus is good, but nothing spectacular (at least visiting). there are tons of places to eat there in the vacinity that are so much better. Go to Casiino El Camino (like 2 blocks away) and order a buffalo burger. Jackalope is also a cool place to hang and grab a bite. Iron Cactus does have a nice outdoor patio upstairs though, but the food is mediocre. Imagine fancy bar food. 

You could walk to Rainey Street and grab some pizza from via313 (inside Craft Pride) and order a beer from their selection. or you can to the east side and grab some pizza at the other via313 5 blocks up next to the Velvet Crown Social Club (i think it's that. it's a social club i do know). 

There is also BACON on 10th near lamar (near waterloo). 

Iron Cactus is just someplace kinda generic that you'de find in any city. no character whatsoever.

Not sure why i didn't think of this.. What the hell was i thinking. Walk to the East Side of 6th (east of 35 at least) and grab some food from EAST SIDE KING at Liberty Bar, Shangri La, or the Grackle (all within blocks from each other). There is also one by the University in HOLe IN THE WALL that has a bit more variety, but is further from 6th street area.

Fuck everything else i said. go there sometime on your visit. 

hope this helps.

If you're downtown near iron cactus, iron cactus is good, but nothing spectacular (at least visiting). there are tons of places to eat there in the vacinity that are so much better. Go to Casiino El Camino (like 2 blocks away) and order a buffalo burger. Jackalope is also a cool place to hang and grab a bite. Iron Cactus does have a nice outdoor patio upstairs though, but the food is mediocre. Imagine fancy bar food.

You could walk to Rainey Street and grab some pizza from via313 (inside Craft Pride) and order a beer from their selection. or you can to the east side and grab some pizza at the other via313 5 blocks up next to the Velvet Crown Social Club (i think it's that. it's a social club i do know).

There is also BACON on 10th near lamar (near waterloo).

Iron Cactus is just someplace kinda generic that you'de find in any city. no character whatsoever.

Not sure why i didn't think of this.. What the hell was i thinking. Walk to the East Side of 6th (east of 35 at least) and grab some food from EAST SIDE KING at Liberty Bar, Shangri La, or the Grackle. There is also one by the University in HOLe IN THE WALL that has a bit more variety, but is further from 6th street area.

Fuck everything else i said. go there sometime on your visit.

hope this helps.

You know hole in the wall? That's right by my friends' apartment but I don't think they've ever been. Is it actually good?

I'm going to be there in 8 days, I'm absolutely going to check out this food truck!  Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't even think about looking for vegan baked goods when I was scoping out places to eat.

this city has everything for everyone. all this talk about food and now i want baked goods.. ugh.

You know hole in the wall? That's right by my friends' apartment but I don't think they've ever been. Is it actually good?

i've been going to hole in the wall since the early 90's. i use to live in that area too. it's a shithole bar we use to see bands at. , but since it expanded in the back, it's become a popular hang out. that place has been there so fuckin' long, it's almost a austin landmark. you should go next time. what makes it even better is that they now have EAST SIDE KING there. Holy shit that place is so good. I'd go eat there now if i had a car. 

Live in San Antonio and have only driven past austin once. When it comes to getting some que I make trips to Lockhart.

lockhart has been a staple texas bbq, but over time it's been surpassed . all of them are hit or miss depending on the day. though i think blacks sausage is top notch every time ive gone. more so than franklin. 

it's either mueller, franklin or luling for me. rubys if i'm feeling like a sandwich. 

places i avoid: rudys bbq. straight overpriced shit. 

i wish more would go to HOOVERS for food. Place is so good.

• 8 months later...

Just flying back from a job interview here. Got the job and will be moving out this way shortly, which I couldn't be happier with.

Hit a few places mentioned here including Franklins which was too good. 5 hour wait in line was worth it in the end. Doesn't seem like you can go wrong with just about anything local. Waterloo was killer too.

Anyone have any recommendations for cool things to do in the first few months? Local breweries worth touring? Trails worth hiking? Im up for ideas to get to know the city.

Edit- controlthebleeding's post sums up a lot for that. Thanks man. Will have to check the greenbelt out and End of an Ear.

Possibility I might be moving out there in October.....pretty much a complete toss-up as to where I'll end up or if I'll end up leaving Bham....a change would be nice, but finding a job I could live with would be the biggest thing

dude, we can hang and become bff's. jk.. dude, finding a job you can live with isn't that hard here.... if you have a vehicle, you can find a good job. depending on what you want.. i make $16 an hour and have worked at a sandwich shop for 5 years.. lol and the customers here are actually nice 99.5 percent of the time. 

Just flying back from a job interview here. Got the job and will be moving out this way shortly, which I couldn't be happier with.

Hit a few places mentioned here including Franklins which was too good. 5 hour wait in line was worth it in the end. Doesn't seem like you can go wrong with just about anything local. Waterloo was killer too.

Anyone have any recommendations for cool things to do in the first few months? Local breweries worth touring? Trails worth hiking? Im up for ideas to get to know the city.

Edit- controlthebleeding's post sums up a lot for that. Thanks man. Will have to check the greenbelt out and End of an Ear.

dude, hit me up. i can take you to some places i never even mentioned. this place has way too much of everything going on... i just put some staple stuff up.. there's so much that the locals keep hidden...haha.

if you and birdwell are here. we can go to chickenshit bingo one sunday.

Sweet deal man! Will definitely hit you up as things get closer. Just signed on an apartment off of South Lamar before you hit Ben White blvd. Seems like there's a ton going on there too. 

Any thoughts on the Fest's coming up? FFF or ACL? A few bands I'd like to catch at both but on the fence about it. 

Sweet deal man! Will definitely hit you up as things get closer. Just signed on an apartment off of South Lamar before you hit Ben White blvd. Seems like there's a ton going on there too. 

Any thoughts on the Fest's coming up? FFF or ACL? A few bands I'd like to catch at both but on the fence about it. 

that's not even the brunt of it.. there are so many fests (literally about 3/4 of the year there's some festival going on) sometimes you just want to stay home and do nothing. i don't do acl. not my shtick. and FFF is a no go due to the fact i have a wedding to attend that weekend and ill be in fl for 5 days the week before. i do want to see KING DIAMOND though. fuck.

• 3 months later...

Attn: Anyone who lives in/around Austin.

I have two tickets to the TTNG (This Town Needs Guns) show this Friday at Red7 in Austin. Super sad I can't go, but I already bought the tickets and don't want to see them go to waste. Such a great band, so let me know if you or someone you know is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry let me clarify. That came out all wrong. I was just surprised there are others from Austin on this board. My bad. It's been corrected.

Haha thats what I thought you meant. I live in Chicago. I'm coming down to Austin to visit friends and go to fun fest. Also exploring other things to do/looking for punk shows.