OG vs Repress; The Thread

Yeah, sometimes I worry that between the 10 years or so of an OG press being released and the repress, there's a difference in how the vinyl was pressed/mastered...the repress being done from a digital source/digitally mastered while the OG is from an analog one/proper vinyl mastering.  I know this has apparently happened with Green Day's represses...

And there's another argument for keeping the OG pressings...not making this easy to settle on one side or the other of this issue :)

I've owned 3 pressings of Dookie and no pun intended, they've all sounded like shit! Obviously a huge fear of mine is that a repress is done digitally for a cash grab. I really love my collection hahaha and would hate to dismantle it by selling off my OG's but the more and more I think about my future the harder it gets. I mean, by no means am I living in squalor but any additional income I have generally goes to savings making it harder to afford new albums that I want. So the whole point of this really was to see what everyone's opinion was about selling their OG's to fund represses of the same album and kind of add money to my vinyling hobby.

Excellent points. Difficult to argue with the logic...however, the only time that could come back to bite someone is if the repress is absolutely terrible in quality, thereby increasing the value of the OG even more...but that's very unlikely these days.

I think you're giving the modern vinyl collector far too much credit. Most people even on here have Crosleys. I'm in the same boat as you... but we're the rarity.

Who cares?

who cares > real talk

Last time I checked we lived in a country of free commerce and could buy and sell things for whatever price the market demanded.  Call it flipping all you want, but I call it opportunity.

flipping is explicitly defined as "turning over quickly." so if you've held on to an original press for years and then sold it right before a repress, yeah, you're an opportunist