Epitaph represses-HotTopic exclusives-NOFX/BadRelig/Souls/Rancid/Millencolin/Descendents/MotionCity

travis

Because people will pay it.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I won't. These should not be priced as collectors items. They're records, and they're the same records that used to cost $10 through Epitaph mailorder and in stores (including Hot Topic). OK, that was 10-15 years ago, but has that much really changed that these need to cost $23?? Fine if so, but I'm curious as to why. Because people want them? Because the originals are sought after? Because the vinyl is now on cool colors instead of boring black?

This just seems really out of control. In a way, I can't blame some record labels for getting in on the game, now that they're finally able to cash in a little bit on these bands since their fans are finally adults with jobs. It just sucks that "making records available again" now actually means squeezing the pockets of the people who want them most.  

EDIT: Also, I just defined capitalist market theory in a thread about NOFX records. My early college self is spinning in his grave.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I won't. These should not be priced as collectors items. They're records, and they're the same records that used to cost $10 through Epitaph mailorder and in stores (including Hot Topic). OK, that was 10-15 years ago, but has that much really changed that these need to cost $23?? Fine if so, but I'm curious as to why. Because people want them? Because the originals are sought after? Because the vinyl is now on cool colors instead of boring black?

This just seems really out of control. In a way, I can't blame some record labels for getting in on the game, now that they're finally able to cash in a little bit on these bands since their fans are finally adults with jobs. It just sucks that "making records available again" now actually means squeezing the pockets of the people who want them most.  

Add to that the fact that if you wait a little, you can save $5-$7 on these same records (albeit on different colors) by ordering from KRM directly. Just seems silly to pay the higher Hot Topic prices.

Add to that the fact that if you wait a little, you can save $5-$7 on these same records (albeit on different colors) by ordering from KRM directly. Just seems silly to pay the higher Hot Topic prices.

EDIT: Also, I just defined capitalist market theory in a thread about NOFX records. My early college self is spinning in his grave.

Most of these records are $15.99 from KRM.  That seems pretty reasonable to me. 

As for Hot Topic's prices, they have to endure additional costs associated with putting the record out that Epitaph doesn't. Being $4-6 more expensive isn't completely out of line.

Here's an update for everyone:

The webstore is down to: 

47 copies of Ribbed

12(!) copies of Punk in Drublic

34 copies of SLATFATS

Shit, Punk in Drublic sold fast.

The translucent brown SLATFATS looks rad.

I like that they did Punk In Drublic on an opaque hot pink rather than a translucent pink though.

It does look cool, I just think translucent would look cooler - I really did like the trans pink No Control.