Help me out?

All of my vinyl's (both new and old) tend to sound very shrill when high notes are hit, especially with "S" sounds.  It is not my speakers as when I try the same exact song on CD, there exists no distortion in the highs.  I have also tried with headphones and the same results are present.  

I am relatively new to the whole vinyl experience.  I recently purchased a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (2M-R Cartridge).  I've paired it with a Bellari VP130.  Everything was purchased new and set up correctly.  What is it that I could possibly be doing wrong?  There is no inherent reason for records to distort when the music/vocals hit a high frequency, correct?  

Sorry if those questions sound silly.  Just looking for some advice!  Does anyone have similar issues?

If none of the previous tips work, I would check your cartridge alignment. Conrad Hoffman has an idiot-proof arc projector to help you align your cartridge here: http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm. I noticed when my cartridge was off, my music had a lot of sibilance, or a shhh sound on words that started with S.

It's probably your phono amp. I know people have reported the Bellari VP130 being too bright and with a bunch of other entry level phono pre's you have the ability to change the moving magnet to moving coil, pF and impedance/resistance levels. For example, on my JD-9 phono pre, I have the ability to adjust these values so that everything sounds right with the cables that I am using. Have a look here and you can see the switches (http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/102/1028627.html)%C2'>

What are your options? Find a friend with another phono pre and see the differences, or a friend with an amp that has a phono input just to see if it is your phono. I'm saying this from experience because I've been in your boat. Now that you've picked up some really good gear and you notice these issues, you'll need to invest possibly a bit more to get a solid set up. 

This might help to what you're trying to accomplish. I understand this might be over your head, but just try and understand what you will need to do to take the harshness away (in theory). Good luck.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=6674

(for the record, here are the specs on your table) http://www.musicdirect.com/p-75872-pro-ject-debut-carbon-turntable.aspx

EDIT: I'm going to ask what interconnects are you using before you check out the link above, it might help...

This all depends on how long it has been doing this and I am assuming you bought all this new.

If it was all fine before and it's come on recently or gradually its most likely a dirty or worm stylus.

But if it's done it all the time from new it's more likely a cartridge alignment issue, a cartridge being out in any way will produce all sorts of problems so check all of the alignment in every direction at least twice.

One clue with alignment can be if it does it more at either end of a side, cartridge alignment is always a compromise and you are looking for the happy middle.

If you are absolutely certain the cartridge is correctly aligned in every direction, all the weights are correct and everything is clean and not worn then it would be a mismatch or limitation in the components you are using so that would be a call back to who supplied it and depends on how long you have owned it whether you have any redress there. That list of components does include everything in the chain including the interconnects etc.

Thank you all for the replies.  As stated above, yes, everything was purchased new.  Cleaning the needle unfortunately did not make the shrill S's go away.  I will look into re-aligning the cartridge this evening as a second remedy.  Again, this is not a HUGE issue but only happens during certain points of certain songs when the highs reach a certain volume. 

b_demarco, unfortunately I do not have another phono amp that I can try.  Womp womp..

If it's not a bad factory alignment, which is very possible, it might just be that you're experiencing the same thing I did when I got my first Debut years ago: that increasingly many records are just mastered/pressed really badly.

Sounds like we had a similar experience. Sibilance is almost always due to mistracking issues, and it's usually just a matter of doing what one can to reduce it, as getting rid of it completely (or as near as we can get) requires large investments of money and laser precision. It's why i swapped out the cartridge on my DebutIII shortly after buying it and then sold it after only about a year.

My debut carbon's 2m red cartridge was misaligned out of the box and was causing a lot of sibilance on all of my records when I first got it. I re-aligned it and it took care of the problem, but unfortunately I just wasn't a fan of how bright that cart is overall. Ended up switching it with my Shure m97xe and upgraded the stylus and have been extremely pleased ever since.

But yeah, on a brand new table and stylus it sounds like the cart is not aligned properly.