Question on Amazon Warehouse Deals

Anybody had successful ventures into this money-saving used market?  The lack of a warranty makes me a little nervous to take the plunge...but for $100 bucks less for a "Like New" model... what sort of risks am I running?

I realize this isn't necessarily HiFi related, but my concern in particular is for an integrated pre-amp. 

Any advice or thoughts whatsoever would be awesome. Basically I know what I want, the last decision is to spring an extra hundred bucks for peace of mind and a 3 year warranty, or save the $ up front because I probably wouldn't need to end up using the warranty anyway.

This is the last piece to complete my brand new set-up, so I hope you can understand my trepidation!

I bought my marantz pm 5004 thru the warehouse deals. Saved 200+ and luve it. However the unit switches to standbye on its own ever so often. Prawlly why it was returned. No big deal to me...annoys the wife very much.

I bought the same amp (amazon warehouse for $190) and it does the same thing.  I think that if you don't touch the volume or any of the controls for x amount of time, it goes into standby for power saving.  At least that's what mine seems to do.  Pretty sure it's designed that way. Not really much of a bother.

Yeah, I hate choices like this.

I tend to end up taking the warranty price for things, and then I never ever use the warranty. But there is always that feeling in the back of my head that the one time I don't - I'll wish I had.

I THINK I'm leaning towards the warehouse - it sounds like it's been successful for others. Still turning it over.

I once ordered a graphics card from the warehouse thing and someone had returned their old card in the new cards box - I called amazon and they took care of it though so it was just inconvenient. 

I bought the same amp (amazon warehouse for $190) and it does the same thing.  I think that if you don't touch the volume or any of the controls for x amount of time, it goes into standby for power saving.  At least that's what mine seems to do.  Pretty sure it's designed that way. Not really much of a bother.

Bought the same one as well. Absolutely love it and have had no problems.

I'd personally do the same thing, the extra $70 is worth it for piece of mind and additional coverage in case something does happen.

Great choice on the amp

Thanks dude!

It's those little mental differences haha, for $100 I was willing to waive the peace of mind, but when it came out to pretty much 60-70 bucks different for 3 years of coverage and a brand new item versus a "like new" used item... it was a no brainer.

Still hate spending that much dough, but after $1,075 I have a whole new system that I can't wait to set up.

Thanks dude!

It's those little mental differences haha, for $100 I was willing to waive the peace of mind, but when it came out to pretty much 60-70 bucks different for 3 years of coverage and a brand new item versus a "like new" used item... it was a no brainer.

Still hate spending that much dough, but after $1,075 I have a whole new system that I can't wait to set up.

Sounds reasonable

Hey rooks, just saw your PM about this (sorry, I've been kind of off lately)...

Great choice! Warehouse deals are great, but when the difference is so small like in this case, getting a brand new one is a better idea, unless of course you cannot extend the budget. But since you got some insanely incredible deals on the other pieces, I guess you can bite the bullet :)

Congrats on all the purchases, now the fun is really starting! :D

Everybody gets +1s :D

And thanks for all the help, slinch!  I was just being a bugger with my pms towards the ends because I was flip-flopping. All in all, I went $75 over my budget, but I think it will be absolutely worth it.

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon White: $325

Epos Epic 1s Cherry: $250 

Marantz pm6004 Black: $499

Can NOT wait to set this up and see what I have been missing.

Everybody gets +1s :D

And thanks for all the help, slinch!  I was just being a bugger with my pms towards the ends because I was flip-flopping. All in all, I went $75 over my budget, but I think it will be absolutely worth it.

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon White: $325

Epos Epic 1s Cherry: $250 

Marantz pm6004 Black: $499

Can NOT wait to set this up and see what I have been missing.

That is a great deal on the carbon.  Can't wait to hear your review.

Where did you find Epos Epic 1s for $250?   I missed the Epic 2 deal and have been thinking about picking a pair of Epic 1's from MusicDirect for $300.

MusicDirect had one pair up as a **DEMO** which I called and spoke to someone about, basically meant it was just an open box, full warranty etc. but it was $50 off because the box was opened or returned. But, there was only 1 set. Still, the $300 price with no tax or shipping is still pretty stellar from them.

MusicDirect had one pair up as a **DEMO** which I called and spoke to someone about, basically meant it was just an open box, full warranty etc. but it was $50 off because the box was opened or returned. But, there was only 1 set. Still, the $300 price with no tax or shipping is still pretty stellar from them.

Those must have just gone up on their site because I got mine Epos Epic 1's shipped from them a week ago. I also got the white carbon as well and it came in last Wednesday. Now I just need to catch up and snag me a Marantz pm6004 and we'll have the same system haha.

Those must have just gone up on their site because I got mine Epos Epic 1's shipped from them a week ago. I also got the white carbon as well and it came in last Wednesday. Now I just need to catch up and snag me a Marantz pm6004 and we'll have the same system haha.

I'd upvote if I had any left haha! Did you get the cherry finish or the black on the Epics?

I was choosing between new Cherries for $300 or **DEMO** Cherries for $250 when I hit refresh and only black was available new. Whoever ordered the last new Cherries made my choice for me and my wallet is happy for it haha.