Question on Amazon Warehouse Deals

Speakers came in yesterday and look fantastic.

Anyone have experience buying speaker wire at radioshack or best buy? I am clueless.

Id avoid radio shack and grab the Monster speaker wire from Best Buy. I went from one to the other and it was almost night and day sound quality wise.

No stands, my tiny NYC apartment won't allow it. I will definitely post a picture of the set up though :) Can't wait for it to all come together on saturday.

Just took a walk to the nearest Best Buy and picked up a spool of 14 gauge Monster XP cables. Should get me by for the foreseeable future :)

Maybe I'll take another picture after Christmas when i upgrade to the acrylic platter and get this nice print framed I plan on hanging right above the Pro-Ject :)

THanks everyone for your help! Seriously.

?

Wondering why you chose to be a jerk when everyone else has been so helpful.

You tripped over a stereotypical sort of comment.

If you don't *need* the cable immediately, you may be better served by ordering a few lengths of 12 awg or 10 awg cable ($0.70 or $1.00 per foot) from Blue Jeans Cable or some other reputable vendor or just finding some generic wire that will likely be no better or worse than the Monster cable and cost significantly less.

Regardless if what wire you choose, there are some rules of thumb/best practices such making the wire length as short as possible while as keeping the speaker wire lengths identical.

I found these guidelines around recommended cable length vs wire gauge for 8/4 ohm speakers. Cannot attest to accuracy, but they seem reasonable.

18 AWG - 8 ohm 10 feet  -  4 ohm 5 feet

16 AWG - 8 ohm 20 feet  -  4 ohm 10 feet

14 AWG - 8 ohm 35 feet  -  4 ohm 18 feet

12 AWG - 8 ohm 60 feet  -  4 ohm 30 feet

10 AWG - 8 ohm 100 feet - 4 ohm 50 feet

If you have a few hours to kill....here's some light reading:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

The point is I want to hook up my system when everything shows up on Saturday.

If I want to order specialty cables that are ajxd approvedtm I will when I get a few other upgrades; platter, cart, etc.

I don't think spending $20 on a temporary measure is a big no-no...

$20 might buy you next day shipping?

:rolleyes:

Sorry man. I didn't feel like taking the subway for 50 minutes to J and R before they closed at 7:30pm when I'm at work and will be probably past 9pm tonight?

I spent some extra $ for convenience. Would I have rathered going somewhere else? Yeah.

I didn't know Monster had such a bad rep, my Dad knew their name and mentioned them on the phone because he knew them from back in the day. I haven't even ever cut wire before, so I don't mind having somethign I can fuck up the first time around.

I fully intend on upgrading at some point.

_________

Read the articles: Company seems like it's run by a bunch of asshats. 

Don't Be so sensitive. Some of us are just very passionate and opinionated. As you hear more and more audio equipment you will have opinions as well, and it's not always easy to express opinions with out coming across poorly.

And there is no need to upgrade your monster cable to BJC. Monster cable is not bad quality, they are just overpriced and very liberal with their (purposely misleading) marketing, so they have a bad rep.

If you have no room for stands, where are your bookshelf speakers going?