VC's Official Space & Science Thread

topher

I'm just saying, if the second episode is like this, I'll bail out. I know what the stars and planets are, relatively how old they are, how people in the 1600s viewed the earth as the center of the universe, etc.

Seems like the next one is about microbiology. If he is explaining what a cell is and the theory of evolution, I'll be pretty bored. Was hoping this would be more particle physics, string theory, space/time travel theories, etc. There's a way to dumb that stuff down for fox. They cover it on discovery and history sometimes.

I'm just saying, if the second episode is like this, I'll bail out. I know what the stars and planets are, relatively how old they are, how people in the 1600s viewed the earth as the center of the universe, etc.

Seems like the next one is about microbiology. If he is explaining what a cell is and the theory of evolution, I'll be pretty bored. Was hoping this would be more particle physics, string theory, space/time travel theories, etc. There's a way to dumb that stuff down for fox. They cover it on discovery and history sometimes.

how many episodes is this supposed to be?

and one of the goals of this show is to get kids interested in this stuff like sagan's miniseries did.

I gotta disagree with 'bowski, even though I know where he's coming from. I watched the premiere at my parents house. My dad and I are both really into science and though we may not have learned a whole bunch of new things while watching, it was still a great episode. My mom on the other hand, doesn't know a whole lot about science, but she was definitely impressed.

This show may be aimed more at the layperson, but that's a far more important audience than those of us who are already hooked on science. We don't need this show, but we want it. Mainstream America does need this show.

My 2 bits.

Also, anyone else get super sad when Neil showed Sagan's personal calendar with his appointment to meet him written down?

Really enjoyed him talking about meeting Sagan as well.

If it's aimed at kids and people who stopped enjoying science after middle/high school, cool. I'm not saying it is a bad show. Just saying, I hoped this was updating the viewer on state of the art astronomy/astrophysics/physical sciences but in a way that everyone could get something out of it. Wasn't anywhere near that. It was really simple topics with super advanced visualizations.

Seen em all already (I think).

In depth is not the same as saying with rigorous mathematical explanation/proof. The latter would turn people away. I think the former is very achievable.

Let's not pretend like this show is for the lowest common denominator. 1/3 of Americans believe the earth is 6k years old. They aren't watching.

1/3 of Americans believe the earth is 6k years old. They aren't watching.

Quoting for truth. Truth and shame.

Did you watch Bill Nye debate Ken Ham? I just don't even understand, but neither do they I guess... crazy.

Any idea if the soundtrack/score to this Cosmos will be pressed?

Did you watch Bill Nye debate Ken Ham? I just don't even understand, but neither do they I guess... crazy.

I most certainly did. Unfortunately, Bill was at a disadvantage, having to do the lecture at the creation museum. Most creationists definitely think Ken Ham "won".

Bill didn't even get to discuss the fusion found to have occurred on chromosome #2, thereby proving that humans ascended from an animal with 48 chromosomes.

• 2 months later...

I hate that I forgot about this thread.

Well, I loved it. Like I said before, if you want mind-blowing discoveries, obviously Fox Programming isn't going to be the one to deliver them. As long as it got a smattering of Young-Earthers, Creationists, climate change deniers, and all-round science grumblers to re-evaluate their positions, I think it did it's job.

Anyone know of a good book that covers modern physics for a casual reader? Not brief history of time, kind of looking for its equivalent but published in the last couple years.

It's from 1994, so I'm not sure if it fits your criteria, but Michio Kaku's Hyperspace rules.

Leonard Susskind's The Cosmic Landscape is more recent, but it's not as broad. Mostly about string theory.

• 1 year later...

It would be pretty cool to get to name a planet.

Don't really find it to be exciting news, though. There's tons of junk out there in the solar system. Finding a new planet (even a large one) doesn't really advance our knowledge of the universe in any way, which is what the big discoveries do.