VC's Official Space & Science Thread

topher

Hey, science guys! This thread started out devoted to the new Cosmos TV series airing on Fox, (hence the discussion on pages 1&2.) but it was time for a broader discussion.

Post any new revelations in the scientific community, mind-blowing space pictures, maybe ask some Q's if you're the inquisitive type, and anything else related to science.

Have at it.

I have never seen cosmos but I thoroughly enjoy stuff like "how the universe works".

There's a few scientists around here. There was a thread when they found the Higgs particle.

I like "...Universe Works" too, but, man, Cosmos takes the cake. It's 30 years old, so watching Science channel will give you about the same information, more accurately, and probably in less time, but Sagan had a way of putting things in perspective that I've never seen matched.

"Found" the Higgs Boson. We scientists exist though! I think a science thread would do well on here.

Good to know! I was kinda surprised there wasn't a science-y thread...

Bought a telescope about a month ago. Haven't had time to mess around with it. Anyone know of a good "getting started" site? 

I was kinda hoping there is something along the lines of "this is what to look for in the sky tonight" that was updated daily but not sure.

http://www.astronomyforbeginners.com/

When I was a kid, the first "expensive" present I ever asked for on Christmas was a telescope. Mostly, I just looked at the Moon. Wish this site had been around.

• 3 weeks later...

About 2 months until the premier.

Hey, does anyone know if a commercial pressing of the Voyage Golden Record was ever available? Something like a standard LP containing all of the music/greetings on the VGR?

If not, someone should get on that.

Never on vinyl. Keep in mind that it was pressed at 16 2/3rpm, so it would have to be a multi-record job at 33.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a space thread? If not can this be the space thread. I love talking about planets and stars. The universe is pretty goddamned amazing.

i love space stuff too. future home of space talk.

If you build it, they will come.

After the premiere, I will change the OP/Title, and this thread will become "VC's Official Space & Science Thread".

Just hold on another couple weeks, fellow science-types!

• 2 weeks later...