Vaginyl Collective Redux (Men view at their own risk).

-tess.

Started doing this.

http://greenclassy.me/apple-cider-vinegar-part-i-use-instead-of-hair-conditioner/

and thinking about transitioning into just doing this. That's a scary fucking thought, but seems like it would make life so much easier.

I've tried it and it does work. Makes your hair soft and clean, but I still would always smell the vinegar. I have a lot of hair though that takes forever to dry. The vinegar Gets rid of all the buildup on your hair and makes your hair soft especially when you have hard water. I use vinegar for a lot of cleaning solutions because it works so well. Typically I use Trader Joes shampoo and conditioner. They are all natural and plant based, not to mention much cheaper than most natural products.

I haven't had an issue with the smell. It's not even that bad in the bath. I just got out a couple of hours ago and there's zero smell. It feels the same dry, but it feels 100 times softer than conditioner right after I rinse it out.

The baking soda "shampoo" method is what scares me. My hair gets pretty oily after a couple of days, and just down right can't go out in public on the third day.

I haven't had an issue with the smell. It's not even that bad in the bath. I just got out a couple of hours ago and there's zero smell. It feels the same dry, but it feels 100 times softer than conditioner right after I rinse it out.

The baking soda "shampoo" method is what scares me. My hair gets pretty oily after a couple of days, and just down right can't go out in public on the third day.

Corn starch or corn powder. Mix it with some cocoa, since your hair is darker, and rub it into your scalp while pulling it to the ends of your hair. Works like a charm.

I use a dry shampoo from lush which is just (over priced) scented corn powder. 

Same! (edit: it smells fucking amazing)

It gets the job done to make me look decent on day two. I can't bring myself to wash my hair every day.

Riiiiight. I love Lush. A lot. I want to marry it, actually. 

I generally wash my hair every other day to every three days, depending. Your hair really does adapt when you don't wash it as often.

Gonna put this out there and say the last time I cut my hair was April '12 (for a little hair cred)

I started using baking soda to wash my hair, best choice I ever made. Conditioner helps a lot bc it'll get really tangled but my hair would stay dry for days.

Apparently your hair gets stripped of its natural oils when you use different (typically cheap) shampoo and overcompensates which is why there is so much oil. The baking soda lets your hair catch up

Since this thread has gone to hair discussion I must what do you about tangles? As a guy I don't care about managing my hair but with it being long I kind of have to.

My main problem is its super wavy/curly and it just gets into a tangled mess. I've lost chunks of hair trying to untangle.

I use a leave in conditioner on the ends of my hair all the time, even when it's dry. then dry shampoo the top for some volume.

I wash with shampoo every other day, sometimes I can go an extra day, depends. I tried the no shampoo route years ago and just couldn't hang.

Since this thread has gone to hair discussion I must what do you about tangles? As a guy I don't care about managing my hair but with it being long I kind of have to.

My main problem is its super wavy/curly and it just gets into a tangled mess. I've lost chunks of hair trying to untangle.

This happens to me on a daily basis. I hate brushing my hair too so I usually just let it go. The only time I brush my hair is before I wash it. This helps keeps the tangles away while I am washing then when I get out of the shower all it needs is a quick comb through. If you guys are having problems with tangles during washing, it helps to brush your hair before you get in the shower and maybe get one of those shower combs to run through your hair after conditioning. A shower comb makes a world of difference. I typically wash my hair every three days or twice a week unless I get really sweaty then I must wash it, but I have really long and thick hair so greasiness isn't as much of a problem as dry scalp is for me. Also after towel drying I will typically use a smoothing/protecting serum on the ends of my hair. Keeps it from getting super frizzy as it dries. Less damage to the hair usually means less tangles so I try not to use a hair dryer, straightener or chemicals on my hair as much as possible.