Opinions: Klipsch Reference RB-61 II

Super long story short. Going to try to return my Epos Epic 1s to MusicDirect and see what else is out there. I'm looking for bookshelf speakers, up to $500 for the pair, with decent low end, nice bass, great sound.

I keep seeing the Klipsch RB-81s pop up, but they are too pricey.  The 61s have great reviews on Crutchfield and other places and are definitely within my price range.  Anyone have these, or have listened to them? Compared them to the Epos Epics?

Any suggestions or personal experiences with sub-$500/pair bookshelf speakers would be sweet. Leaning hard towards the RB-61s but I've read a few things about cheap components/build that have me concerned.

Thanks all!

I have a pair of Klipsch WB-14s (rosewood). Been pretty happy with them overall. Certainly the best speakers i have yet to own. They retailed for $600 and I got em for $200 @ neweggs end of year clearance. Not sure how they compare to the rb81s. Im prawlly no help at all really. :)

If you find any super good deals plz post back as I will be looking for a new set since I just closed in the garage/bonus room.

Good luck!

The whole Klipsch reference series were freakin' awesome.  I loved the way that they sounded, they always just seemed to have super accurate and detailed response whenever I listened to them.  I was legitimately bummed when they discontinued them. 

If you can get them for a good price and are possibly able to return them (if you aren't able to audition beforehand) I would definitely say go for it.  The 81s will have better bass for sure (since you mentioned that) but I understand it's a big jump in price.

Any reason in particular you are returning the Epics?  Just curious, everyone on this board seems to be all about them but I've never had the chance to hear them for myself.  

Hey - thanks for the response! Yeah I wish the 81s were in budget but they are almost double the price. Crutchfield seems to have a sp3ecial going on the 61s right now for $399 a pair which is stellar and exactly what I was hoping to pay, and from what I've heard crutchfield is awesome about support.

As for returning the epics... you can find most of the story here: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/95821-epos-epic-1-speaker-trouble-help/

IN short, I had trouble, MD sent a replacement part a month later and it didn't fix it. They haven't worked since the day I got them, and it's just soured the experience for me. I think they look great, and what came out of the left hand speaker sounded great... but. Don't know. Just burnt out with them after this whole ordeal. I hold grudges against objects when they don't work like they should.

Klipsch speakers have a rather distinct house sound, and I really recommend that you check out some, so you can hear them first. I didn't care for the same WB-14's that one of the above posters loves.

People that like Klipsch are usually very loyal to them. They are good speakers, just not my cup of tea.

Ahhh, understood.  Yeah I read about the difference due to their Horn, etc. I'm interested to see what it's all about.

My mistake, and thanks for the explanation.

I did see that a lot of people feel that Klipsch seems to have an almost "cult" following of loyal listeners, and others don't have a taste for it.

I'm willing to see where I land in the bunch!

Yeah, I decided to take a chance. Crutchfield has a good deal going on the Cherry ones right now (the color I wanted) and they are reportedly pretty good at honoring their 60-day money back guarantee should I really not enjoy the speakers.

I'm excited.

Glad to see MD is taking their shit back. Good luck with the Klipschs bro

Ahhh, understood. Yeah I read about the difference due to their Horn, etc. I'm interested to see what it's all about.

My mistake, and thanks for the explanation.

I did see that a lot of people feel that Klipsch seems to have an almost "cult" following of loyal listeners, and others don't have a taste for it.

I'm willing to see where I land in the bunch!

No worries. I meant a brand-wide and brand specific sound.

One of the best things in audio is the auditioning of different gear to hear all the different ways different equipment can make the same source sound. Some good, some bad. Some you'll like, some you won't, put it's a cool experience.