Disney Blu-Ray / Movie Club Talk

Question answered - this is now a general Disney Blu-ray / Disney Movie Club Forum.

Upcoming releases:

August 12th, 2014

Adventures of Ichabod & Mr Toad / Fun & Fancy Free (two-pack blu-ray)

Bedknobs & Broomsticks (blu-ray)

Hercules (blu-ray)

Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (blu-ray)

Muppets Most Wanted (blu-ray)

Tarzan (blu-ray)

August 19th, 2014

Toy Story of Terror (blu-ray)

October, 7th 2014

Sleeping Beauty (diamond edition blu-ray)

OLD TOPIC:

What is with the seemingly inconstant Disney movie packaging? 

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:

Gold slipcases are for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital

Silver slipcases are for DVD/Blu-Ray

Blue slipcases are for Blu-Ray/DVD

The silver is the only DVD sized case apart from the DVD only edition which are really hard to come by at this point because, DVDs- amiright?

You are not crazy, also more trouble for you after a while, they come with NO slip case whatsoever, so I would get them closer to the release date if that's important to you. I don't believe there is any rhyme or reason to the way they do their cases. It is quite annoying, I agree, however, I still buy most disney blu ray releases.

There are 9 out so far in the diamond series... I can find 3 more online for sure with the gold slip-case.

So that leaves me with 5 to hunt down...

I guess the "Diamond Edition" series released is twice a year from 2011 to 2016. (also one in both 2009 and 2010)

The next one is going to be Sleeping Beauty in the fall.

Well, Aladdin better be next on their list. Sleeping Beauty has received an official Blu Ray release already. I have a pretty decent disney and Pixar movie collection, but a lot are missing the slip case and it's annoying. The older releases, like Pinnochio and Snow White can get really expensive, especially if you don't live near an FYE or something along the same lines.

Well, Aladdin better be next on their list. Sleeping Beauty has received an official Blu Ray release already. I have a pretty decent disney and Pixar movie collection, but a lot are missing the slip case and it's annoying. The older releases, like Pinnochio and Snow White can get really expensive, especially if you don't live near an FYE or something along the same lines.

Aladdin was supposed to be the Spring 2013 release but it got pushed back for some reason and replaced with Peter Pan...

I assume it will be included in this "Diamond Edition" release line up though.

Last re-issue series was the Platinum and that had Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians along with everything else in the Diamond series thus far...

So we will see what happens. 

As far for the older stuff I live 5 minutes from Chicago so there are all kinds of resale type shops. With that and Amazon / eBay up my sleeve it shouldn't be toooo hard. 

From what I've seen, Disney will release DVD sized cases AND regular blu-ray sized cases for most of their new releases. They are the same exact product, and I've always figured that they've done it so people can keep their collections consistent.

As for slipcovers, most production companies produce slipcovers for the first "pressing" of the release and discontinue them after that.

And as for gold vs. silver, I have no clue. I figure they'll probably make whatever matches the artwork better.

Gold jacket, green jacket.. Who gives a shit?

I thought the DVD packaging had the special features on a DVD disc, and the BD packaging has them on a BD disc. I'd have to look at the backs again next time at work to make sure on that, but they offer the same things on both anyway. I've also noticed that the diamond editions that include a digital copy have a different slipcover than the ones without the digital copies.

Target also released some of the diamond edition releases in storybook cases. I don't know how you feel about those, but they were TGT exclusives and were never replenished after the initial copies sold out.

Damn straight, I've been wanting Aladdin on Blu Ray forever.

As for slipcovers, most production companies produce slipcovers for the first "pressing" of the release and discontinue them after that.

And as for gold vs. silver, I have no clue. I figure they'll probably make whatever matches the artwork better.

Gold jacket, green jacket.. Who gives a shit?

If they were just put out to match the art it would be whatever.

But from what I've seen on the three most recent they've put out gold, silver, and blue slip-covers for each...

and the earlier diamond editions had silver and blue it seems.

I don't even know if the first one had a slip at all.. I can't seem to find a photo of such online.

I have read on this forum that you can call Disney and they will sell you slipcovers for like $3.00. I think it was in this thread, which is a great read if you want to get a bunch of Disney Blu-Rays pretty cheap.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

This is all good but it seems that the gold slip-cases are "member only" so i have to pay the full $30 on them when they're often less in stores.

If you are going to start a disney blu ray collection, I can't recommend the disney movie club enough. I did it, and so did my fiance. Worth every dollar. You save so much. Also, wal-mart often has a little something extra with the new releases, such as a free disney infinity figure with Monsters University, and a Jungle Book lunch box. Pretty cool stuff. 

If you are going to start a disney blu ray collection, I can't recommend the disney movie club enough. I did it, and so did my fiance. Worth every dollar. You save so much. Also, wal-mart often has a little something extra with the new releases, such as a free disney infinity figure with Monsters University, and a Jungle Book lunch box. Pretty cool stuff. 

Debating the club for non-diamond releases like the Pixar stuff.

Haven't decided yet though.

I've often thought about joining the club. Might look into it.

How much does it cost? Are you able to buy movies that are in the vault? What about Ghibli movies?

I've often thought about joining the club. Might look into it.

How much does it cost? Are you able to buy movies that are in the vault? What about Ghibli movies?

Someone posted a link earlier that breaks it down really well.

The best deal is through the offer code they list you end up getting 9 blu-rays for roughly $90 at the end of the day.

It doesn't seem like you can just order anything from the vault but its just whatever they have in stock and then some obscure stuff they aren't putting out retail wide.

There is Ghibli stuff for sure but it's not part of the sign up promotion.

Someone posted a link earlier that breaks it down really well.

The best deal is through the offer code they list you end up getting 9 blu-rays for roughly $90 at the end of the day.

It doesn't seem like you can just order anything from the vault but its just whatever they have in stock and then some obscure stuff they aren't putting out retail wide.

There is Ghibli stuff for sure but it's not part of the sign up promotion.

Thanks! I'll check this out.

Joined the Disney Movie Club last night, and got Wreck It Ralph, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, Tangled, Cinderella, Pochahontas 1 & 2, and Peter Pan for less than $22. All I need to do now is buy two more movies over the next two years, and I'm done. I will then cancel, and start over. I know one of my commitment titles will be Frozen, and maybe Thor 2. Glad I joined.

Joined the Disney Movie Club last night, and got Wreck It Ralph, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, Tangled, Cinderella, Pochahontas 1 & 2, and Peter Pan for less than $22. All I need to do now is buy two more movies over the next two years, and I'm done. I will then cancel, and start over. I know one of my commitment titles will be Frozen, and maybe Thor 2. Glad I joined.

I did the same thing.

Snagged: Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Brave, Princess and the Frog, and Nightmare Before Christmas

Pretty excited about all the reward points that'll give me...

I signed up too. Ordered: Wreck-It Ralph, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Little Mermaid, Frankenweenie, Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.

I've always been tempted by the movie club, but never pulled the trigger on it. I'm always on the fence with "Do I really need to spend the money to upgrade something I already have?" to "If I really wanted something I don't already have, I can always download it." but usually having the physical, most up to date/high quality version wins out.

10-11 years ago I first learned how frustrating tracking down certain Disney movies could be when they put Peter Pan into the vault. It probably took me 3 years to find one, and from that point on, I started buying any of the classics when they were released. I worked at Blockbuster for a few years and managed to pick up many of the classics and from time to time would catch some coming in as a trade in.