Want a good speaker set for $130?

ajxd

Wow. Crazy price on these. I've had a pair of these for years and they sound great in my office. Capable of decent low end (obviously not going to shake the floor, but you can hear bass notes not just sound) and reveals lots of detail through my Peachtree amp.

Can't say enough good things about these speakers at this price. They won't win any awards, but I think you guys will enjoy what you paid for.

mine will mostly likely end up pulling double duty as a little stereo setup for the 32" TV in my bedroom and connected to either my Airport Express or Apple TV for occasional tunes.   Driving with a Marantz PM5004.

I need to find a cheap DAC with optical in and a line-level output to complete the rig.

got my speakers today.  They are quite a bit larger than I was expecting for some reason.

I have not placed them in their final home yet, but I hooked them up to my living room system for a bit top make sure everything is functional.   No real comparison to be made vs my MA RX1s but they produce respectable low end for a bookshelf and sound good for the price.

Got to actually listen to mine yesterday. For $130, I'm impressed. I wanted a small sealed bookshelf for my bedroom, and didn't want to spend a lot. Used these with my main system (Parasound 2100, 2x Parasound 2125s) listened to a few albums and watched some of Inglorious Basterds. The highs are a little sharp, the lows are a little muddy, but that's compared to my Boston VR3s, so it's a little unfair to compare them.

I will say, I am impressed with them. I like em a lot and I'm very satisfied with them. Listening to them now through my Rotel RA-1062 just streaming iTunes Radio. Sounds great.

Got to actually listen to mine yesterday. For $130, I'm impressed. I wanted a small sealed bookshelf for my bedroom, and didn't want to spend a lot. Used these with my main system (Parasound 2100, 2x Parasound 2125s) listened to a few albums and watched some of Inglorious Basterds. The highs are a little sharp, the lows are a little muddy, but that's compared to my Boston VR3s, so it's a little unfair to compare them.

I will say, I am impressed with them. I like em a lot and I'm very satisfied with them. Listening to them now through my Rotel RA-1062 just streaming iTunes Radio. Sounds great.

Really bummed I missed out on this.  If you catch anymore speaker deals let me know.  

After break-in they'll be even better, of course. They have aluminum tweeters so the highs are certainly a bit sharp. my main floorstanding Viennas have silk dome, and it's definitely a different sound. 

$130 was a real steal. It's too bad everyone that posts all the time about cheap setups couldn't get their hands on these.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Buuuut.... are they fucking good speakers?

yes. and I believe, deep in my heart, that they're actually very popular among turntable users.

realistically, I own 3 pairs of low/mid-rangish book shelf speakers and Def Techs are my least favorite of the 3, but I would still say they sound pretty good.

Monitor Audio RX1s > Wharfedale 10.1s > Def Tech 350s

I initially tried them on some stands in my smallish living room (~15x10)--basically where my main setup lives.  I swapped the RX1s vs the 350s into/out of the same spot.  The rear of the speaker is about 6-8 inches from the back wall and maybe 12-18 inches from a side-wall on the left side and flanked by an open doorway on the right.  

Their eventual home was a long dresser in my bedroom (~12x12) maybe 5.5 feet apart, 3 feet from the floor, 6 inches from the back wall, 6 inches from the side wall on the left, and flanked by an open doorway on the right.  I used them in that spot for a few months until I picked up a pair of Wharfedale 10.1s for cheap.

I never considered the internal woofers, so I am not sure whether I had them in or out.  I will have to give it another try both ways.