FS - some high prices, but anyway...

harley

Hi, I started cataloging my record collection on discogs this week.  Here is my list so far.  

http://www.discogs.com/user/by_the_dog/collection

I do NOT want any records at this time, whether to buy or trade.

Many of the high prices are due to my hesitancy in selling (basically, records I want to keep and will only part with for lots of cash), some due to what I feel records are worth.

I'm thinking of trimming some of my collection down.  Keep checking as I will be adding several hundred more records at least.  

Ah you're a fucking shitbag. By listing items on Discogs with "insanely high prices," you're giving an incentive for new and uninformed sellers to also list their records at inflated prices. Unfortunately most people base their prices off of the current sales prices rather than the sales history.

So yeah, if you don't actually want to sell something then don't list it. The kind of people who will drop hundreds on a record will find you; you don't have to broadcast to them.

I hadn't thought of that - it is a valid issue for sure. I will probably go back and lower the prices of stuff at some point, and just remove prices from things I really don't want to sell.  Honesty I'm just trying to get a handle on my collection and what I have left (i've sold stuff off over the years and can't remember what I really have as it has been in storage).

Although is it standard practice to call people fucking shitbags here?  You could have made your point with out that, so go head and kiss my hairy ass.  

BTW, I really loved Home Movies, Mcguirk was a fantastic character.  

Ah you're a fucking shitbag. By listing items on Discogs with "insanely high prices," you're giving an incentive for new and uninformed sellers to also list their records at inflated prices. Unfortunately most people base their prices off of the current sales prices rather than the sales history.

So yeah, if you don't actually want to sell something then don't list it. The kind of people who will drop hundreds on a record will find you; you don't have to broadcast to them.

Although is it standard practice to call people fucking shitbags here? You could have made your point with out that, so go head and kiss my hairy ass.

BTW, I really loved Home Movies, Mcguirk was a fantastic character.

Calling people nasty names is positively standard VC practice. Means we love you.

Calling people nasty names is positively standard VC practice. Means we love you.

Haha - guess I need to lurk more.

Id take your smoking popes record for like 10 bucks. Not 30 like you have listed. Theres 6 dollar albums in mint condition listed on there.

No for right now. I'll think about it though.

I too have records that are worth more to me than they are actually worth. with that said, I wouldnt post them here if I was going to sell because of the exact reaction you got. My 2 cents is if you are going to list stuff at inflated prices (which is ok!), your best bet is to list on EBAY with a starting price or buy-it-now of what you are looking for. This community is much smaller than EBAY so there is no sense in reaching out here in that situation. People generally come here to get away from that...

Good luck.

Okay, so I went back and looked at the ones I'm selling - about 6 or so had the red flag on them that said the prices were high.  I edited some of them down.  

But with 90% of my prices, I haven't gone that far out of the range of sales history, so maybe my original topic title was somewhat misleading.  Sure, I've gone with the higher end on pricing history a lot but I don't think that is the same as what was implied.  

I still have a few hundred to add so I'll try to either not price them or price them a bit more conservatively.  I may also go the ebay route as someone has suggested.  However, I do not want to start over and do the dead format website. Ain't nobody got time for that.  

Anway, hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes with my bullshit.  I'm out of the loop on this stuff, clearly.