Q: Stars of the Lid / Refinement (Green Press)

Derek™

There seem to be a handful of SOTL fans here on the forums.  Anyone hear anything of a green press of And Their Refinement of the Decline?  I noticed it on Discogs the other day.  The listing was added 3 months ago, and can be found here.  Excited at the prospect of a colored repress, I hopped around online but found no trail of a repress.  One has been hinted at for a while now, but there is zero evidence to suggest that it's happened.

So I figured I'd check Popsike.  That's where I found this.

321225571076.jpg

Looks like it was a BIN that ended for $165 back in October of last year.

Could this be an extremely limited promo copy?  Or maybe from a press for friends / family press?  What about a "band" press /2?  I didn't think Kranky even pressed colored vinyl.  Talk about a white whale for the ages.

I think a repress of this and Tired Sounds is definitely in the works. It'd be silly to repress Ballasted Orchestra and not these.

True.  It sounds like it may be later than sooner, though.  I messaged the band themselves last year, asking their advice on whether or not I should cave and buy their albums through eBay or Discogs at less-than-ideal prices.  They cryptically suggested that I wait, and avoid anything that was marked up too highly.  That got me pretty excited.

But Kranky just got back to me about my inquiries.  They said that they'd like to repress any OOP SOTL albums at some point, but have no definitive plans to do so at the moment.  They also mentioned "one thing at a time...", vague ellipses and all.  I know that the band has been writing and recording new material for a while.  Maybe we're finally on the cusp of seeing that come to life.

Now you have me all interested in this. I might have to shoot the one guy that has it on Discogs a message just to get some info on the press.

I've seen people post on ebay the green variant listing it around 100, but a guess I assume….I've seen at least 15 or so over the past 3 years go on ebay…so there are defiantly at least 50 to 100. I will ask, Windy and Carl. They are on Kranky and own the local shop I go to. They usually keep me updated on all things Kranky! They have been begging SOTL to record again for years! 

They finally have written some stuff, but the WVFTS has taken precedent….that will come first the EP, then the LP….They keep repressing the 2 recent SOTL reissues. Kranky tends to bitch that it is hard to press quiet music on vinyl "with quality" for example, the Christina Vantzou No.1 record did not get pressed due to this fact! Sadly. However, her No.2 that just came out is being pressed (its delayed) so they have found a decent plant/company to press the quality they want. That being said, the represses of the SOTL will hopefully come from this new plant. This means most likely a new master. So a possible slightly new press! 

I recently decided to cave and buy this LP for $65, because I don't feel ilke waiting 3-5 years. From what i've heard there is a lot of other stuff to come first. So a press of their 2 big masterpieces (the 3xLPs) are at least 3 years away...

Good news Winged for Sullen EP and LP is this year and a new SOTL is hopeful for 2015 or even end of this year? I'll be sure to let everyone know, via Windy & Carls insider info (lol) once any new represses are in the works! Hope this sheds some light….

Thanks for all the information, Nelso.  I appreciate the lengthy response.

Not that I doubt the validity of any of your info, but if you've seen ~15 green Refinements on eBay over the years... wouldn't they show up on Popsike?  Because I'm only seeing one, and I've browsed through all possible listings.

Regarding new SOTL, I'm pretty certain that Kranky have posted vague updates and photos of SOTL in the studio.  I remember a few last year, actually.  Obviously this doesn't really mean anything, since their writing & recording routines are just about as slow as their music.  But the updates - small as they may be - have been a little more frequent as of late.  I think a late 2014 / 2015 release is pretty feasible.  Especially since it sounds like Atomos is just about done at this point, taking the pressure off of A Winged Victory for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

first of all, hello to everybody!

I'm a new user on the board :-) I browsed the site for quite a while anonymously & when I stumbled upon this thread I decided to register.

I'm also really interested to get any background information about this particular pressing.

I'm the one who bought the copy from ebay and listed it on discogs.

Today I've seen that apparently at least 2 people have a copy, since discogs lists 2 "have". The other user remains private though.

@Repress: I'm looking for Stars Of The Lid records on ebay & discogs for many years and regularly. I've really never seen it listed before on ebay and also not on discogs. You say your friend has a green copy. Could you probably ask where he/she has it from?

The seller of my copy told that he ordered the regular edition when the album came out, but he got a green press instead without further info.