Adding new speakers to my setup. How do I do it?

Why did you spend decent money on a turntable and preamp?  I assume because on some level you care about good sound.  Yes, power speakers will amplify sound, but it will not do it well the same way a $100 turntable and a $20 preamp won't sound good.

I disagree. I have a pair of Paradigm Shift A2s that sound fantastic and I would argue on par or better than most passive bookshelf setups I've heard in person. 

there is a difference between powered speakers designed for near-field listening and powered studio monitors.  The Audio Engines or Paradigm Shifts should out perform studio monitors at a similar price point or beyond and no doubt sound completely fine for a starter setup.

That said, I tend to agree that you get more value in the long run out of a traditional setup and continually upgrading powered speaker sets is a huge waste of $.

I'm not saying there are not some very good active speakers out there and if they do what you need then fine but as a rule It's done for convenience not quality and I find everything done for convenience in audio is a retrograde step

the biggest problem with any powered speaker is that they have to contain a power supply for the amplifier which are inherently electricity noisy things and putting any power supply so close to the thing that makes the music is always going to make it more difficult to shield out the noise from that power supply.

there is a difference between powered speakers designed for near-field listening and powered studio monitors.  The Audio Engines or Paradigm Shifts should out perform studio monitors at a similar price point or beyond and no doubt sound completely fine for a starter setup.

That said, I tend to agree that you get more value in the long run out of a traditional setup and continually upgrading powered speaker sets is a huge waste of $.

I'm not saying there are not some very good active speakers out there and if they do what you need then fine but as a rule It's done for convenience not quality

the biggest problem with any powered speaker is that they have to contain a power supply for the amplifier which are inherently electricity noisy things and putting any power supply so close to the thing that makes the music is always going to make it more difficult to shield out the noise from that power supply.

I think this is what everyone has been trying to say just delivered much better.

I have the powered speakers because I live in a 300 sq.ft. apartment and don't have much extra room to spare. Once I move and this stuff starts to crap out I will most certainly upgrade to a more traditional setup but I have a feeling I will always find a use for the Paradigms. Trust me, they'll surprise you.

I think this is what everyone has been trying to say just delivered much better.

I have the powered speakers because I live in a 300 sq.ft. apartment and don't have much extra room to spare. Once I move and this stuff starts to crap out I will most certainly upgrade to a more traditional setup but I have a feeling I will always find a use for the Paradigms. Trust me, they'll surprise you.

300 square foot apartment?  That's insane.  The room my stereo is in is 200.  Do you cook, shit, and sleep in the same room?

LOL

While there's no retracting the comment, let me restate: Your setup is pretty solid and better than some setups out there.

I'm about to upgrade to the same setup this guy has for now- Debut Carbon, Cambridge 551p, and the Audioengines... until I can afford an amp and some really nice bookshelf speakers.

A good set of near field monitors would give you a superb headphone type sound in that space.

Sit in the middle, aim the speakers at you, turn it up and enjoy

Totally, like I said I've been blown away by the Paradigms. I can't recommend them enough... plus they're Canadian!